Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MR Turco
Ah ok. That makes sense. I did realize those small definition changes did so much.
its not the xml definition changes that do it, its the patch to the rom. hes got new code in the rom images hes uploaded. the xml definitions only give you access to the parameters in ecuflash.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 09:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dexmix
its not the xml definition changes that do it, its the patch to the rom. hes got new code in the rom images hes uploaded. the xml definitions only give you access to the parameters in ecuflash.
You kids and your assembly
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

You kids and your assembly
thats why he has you grab his pre-patched roms, and then copy over your parameters to it.

what annoys the crap out of me, is that he doesnt release them in patch form, as opposed to pre-patched roms.

considering i have to copy over immobilizer/fuel/timing/boost/boost cut limits/wgdc/mivec/2 step/map sensor/egt/ and idle stepper tables. hence why i'm not running the patches yet.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that was my first meet with the Evos last night... daym that was alot of cars n ppl. sorry paul (ww evo thats suppose to look like kevin's)... i couldnt find you to tell u i was leaving. ill be giving time to my car this weekend ... changing the oil drivetrain fluids... and a wash....lol. my car was lookin dirty as sh**. see u guys again at another meet.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

thats why he has you grab his pre-patched roms, and then copy over your parameters to it.

what annoys the crap out of me, is that he doesnt release them in patch form, as opposed to pre-patched roms.

considering i have to copy over immobilizer/fuel/timing/boost/boost cut limits/wgdc/mivec/2 step/map sensor/egt/ and idle stepper tables. hence why i'm not running the patches yet.
You mean if he sent you the patch you could make the assembly changes? What is the difference between pre patch and patched?

It does such copying over the tables. Luckily you can just highlight the whole table copy and paste it over. Dont need to enter cell by cell
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i'm just coming from the gaming world, and even source code patching, it takes 2 seconds to apply a patch to a game rom/or source file.

call me spoiled, but why should i have to figure out what tables i need to copy and then go and copy/paste 20 tables - its like the stone age, back when we hacked using hex editors and assembled opcodes by hand.

besides, a diff/patch gives alot of information about exactly what has changed.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolution MR IX
that was my first meet with the Evos last night... daym that was alot of cars n ppl. sorry paul (ww evo thats suppose to look like kevin's)... i couldnt find you to tell u i was leaving. ill be giving time to my car this weekend ... changing the oil drivetrain fluids... and a wash....lol. my car was lookin dirty as sh**. see u guys again at another meet.
Yo Threa, was nice meeting you man, definitely hope to see you around more meets.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

You mean if he sent you the patch you could make the assembly changes? What is the difference between pre patch and patched?

It does such copying over the tables. Luckily you can just highlight the whole table copy and paste it over. Dont need to enter cell by cell
patched and pre-patched are the same thing. when he is saying its pre-patched, he is saying here is the rom, i've already patched it with my code modifications. (although technically/semantically "pre-patched" should mean an unpatched rom)

the "patch" would be the diff between an unpatched rom, and a patched rom. thats what i want. the diff. its a tiny file that describes whats different.
i'm just going to generate it from an unpatched rom, and his prepatched rom.

wikipedia on diff

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Sep 27, 2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:36 AM

Awesome turn out. Lots of sick cars.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

patched and pre-patched are the same thing. when he is saying its pre-patched, he is saying here is the rom, i've already patched it with my code modifications. (although technically/semantically "pre-patched" should mean an unpatched rom)

the "patch" would be the diff between an unpatched rom, and a patched rom. thats what i want. the diff. its a tiny file that describes whats different.
i'm just going to generate it from an unpatched rom, and his prepatched rom.

wikipedia on diff
Thats what i figured. I hate writing assembly but i would be glad to learn it not to have to copy over all my tables like you said. I didnt have much it just sucks to have to verify you got everything over. I have only touched the VVT table but like i had all my JDM MAP settings (which you have to transfer too-- sorry about that bro ) and some other little **** that is annoying. I would gladly just copy some assembly code into my rom before having to manually copy everything else over, especially if i am paying (donating) for it, not that i am going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Thats what i figured. I hate writing assembly but i would be glad to learn it not to have to copy over all my tables like you said. I didnt have much it just sucks to have to verify you got everything over. I have only touched the VVT table but like i had all my JDM MAP settings (which you have to transfer too-- sorry about that bro ) and some other little **** that is annoying. I would gladly just copy some assembly code into my rom before having to manually copy everything else over, especially if i am paying (donating) for it, not that i am going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
well technically we don't have to copy any assembly. hes already compiled everything to byte code. we just copy the pre-compiled code to the correct location in the rom.

ultimately i want to have organized - all my changes as patches, and not copies of roms. like heres a patch to go to a JDM Map sensor, heres a patch to go back to a USDM map sensor. heres a patch for valet mode, NLTS etc.

then i can have a patch manager program that will apply checked off patches. that way i can just say - ok heres a base rom, and ill check off that i want these features - use my latest fuel/timing maps and immobilizer code. Build me my latest rom. then as people release new patches, they release the actual patch, and all i have to do is add it to my program and check it off, apply. and BAM, my latest rom, has all my new patches.

imagine what would happen when a bunch of people release different patches, but they all release them as "pre-patched" ROMS. how are people supposed to combine different pre-patched ROMs. its retarded.

this is the whole point of source control - it revolutionized open source/or any project with many developers.
people don't submit whole copies of programs - they submit patches.
/end rant

even more OT (if thats possible): i would love to see ECUFlash with bitfields. right now were entering bitfields as HEX, but it would be nice to see the indivudual bits labeled, and the ability to toggle each seperately. like to enable/disable the EGR test right now we blindly enter in different HEX values. with a bitmask defined, we would just check off "enable EGR test"

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Sep 27, 2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^ Tephra is sort of getting there with that idea of enabling diabling without hex. If you add the definitions he has a table where you set the new mods to off or on using a 1 or 0. So you can set it and turn it off and on need be. But you are right. It would be awesome to be able to just get patches and add them to some sort of management SW. Could you somehow take the patched rom and a stock rom and compare for differences? I am sure that would be really difficult but it might work. I am sure you are already scheming something.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:00 PM

I call her Eve O'Suby
579hp 579tq
Twin turbo 4.5L V8
AWD
Front and top mount intercoolers

Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Hahaha, nice one Taylor. Good to see your hybrid making it's way on to our boards.

By the way, everyone loves your bike...there's a thread in the "Show and Shine" section where it's getting lots of love. I was digging yoru wallpapers on IW, as well.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

How dare you defile my car by merging it with a subaru! My car doesnt like dirty ***** like motors in it....

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread