Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

New england dragway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run drag radials
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
the weather keeps changing every day but as of right now it shows partly cloudy. hopefully it stays that way. i definatly suggest on running really low tire pressures cause I as well as many other people with evos just spin the whole 60'. if i race friday i am definatly going through the water and doing a burnout.
Originally Posted by Marshall O
I would highly suggest to anyone that does not really care too much about their 60' to NOT go through the water box and to NOT do a burnout...If you do hook up, you are very likely to break a rear axle. Seriously. IMHO, YMMV. I just would not do it myself. Not worth it.
Originally Posted by silver9mr
lol i did a burnout on my fastest run of the night AWD burnouts ftw lol
i dunno if you have been there since it has been cold but there is no way you wouldn't spin if ur using 2step and dump the clutch espcially with the tires wet. the track become like ice when the sun goes down.

I agree that i do not RECOMMEND doing a burnout. Wheel hop is possible which i have done before and blew my t-case. Also if you hook that is alot of strain on your entire drivetrain.
Originally Posted by MR Turco
You shouldn't burn out street tires anyway. When they get hot they get greasy.
i run drag radials
I am going to keep this one simple as I love to see the back and forth about launching awd cars

I do not recommend doing burn outs with street tires. like turco said they will just make them slick. yes you can do it to clean them off quickly but anything more than that and its just worsening your traction.
I do not recommend people going through the water box. yes it helps you do a burn out, but it will still yield poor results for your 60ft.

Also, you shouldn't be dumping the clutch off the line. you should have a smooth transition from the release of the clutch. by taking up some of the slack in the clutch before launching will also help reduce the shock on drivetrain parts

ps. what tires are you using eatsleepboost?

see you guys Friday
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slowevo

Also, you shouldn't be dumping the clutch off the line. you should have a smooth transition from the release of the clutch. by taking up some of the slack in the clutch before launching will also help reduce the shock on drivetrain parts

I.e. slowly let the clutch out until it starts to grab then let it out quickly but smoothly. Right?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I understand you shouldn't be dumping the clutch off the line. When i say dumping the clutch i am refering to the burnout ONLY.

I run the z1 star specs. i understand they are not a true R compound tire however from reviews i have read they perform much better when hot.

since i spin during ever pass i have made during the past month or so after the sun goes down i gotta try something new so why not clean the tires before taking a shot a decent 60'.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

I.e. slowly let the clutch out until it starts to grab then let it out quickly but smoothly. Right?
there are hundreds of threads about launching. Its one of those things you learn by doing. not by reading.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

What time is everyone heading up friday. I might try to skip out early. If you guys want to meet up at a rest stop let me know.
What route is everyone taking?

I don't mind meeting up either.
I also want to leave my buddys house (Lowell) around 430.

So who's racing!?

List:

Felipe- Evo VIII
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck, hope to see the rwd monster on Friday
It's looking good. The hitch (effin expensive!) will be here Thursday. Parts to extend the steering shaft will be here Thursday. The new trailer is all registered and ready to roll. It's supposed to get down in the 30s by 10pm again, so I'll be trying to get there real early to get 2-3 runs in right away and put it away for the night. I have no desire to skate that POS into the wall...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

I understand you shouldn't be dumping the clutch off the line. When i say dumping the clutch i am refering to the burnout ONLY.

I run the z1 star specs. i understand they are not a true R compound tire however from reviews i have read they perform much better when hot.

since i spin during ever pass i have made during the past month or so after the sun goes down i gotta try something new so why not clean the tires before taking a shot a decent 60'.
what size tires are u using i was just looking into those tires for myself
Old Oct 1, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KGHtheII
Yea, I live on Boston Rd in Billerica. Meeting up sounds good to me.
Wow you live like 5 mins away from me, maybe less. If it doesnt rain and you still go just shoot me a pm and let me know where to meet you and at what time.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

on the right track. if you want we can go over some techniques on friday

got ya on the "drop the clutch"
as for the z1 stars, you said drag radial, not really what I had in mind, that would be more like a MT, BFG drag or something along those lines. The stars are more of an autocross/roadcourse tire with a stiff side wall = more spin off the launch.
what is your 60' with them spinning? you should try starting at a normal tire pressure and then work your way down, you'd be surprised at what mid 20's-30 psi will launch like.

there are hundreds of threads about launching. Its one of those things you learn by doing. not by reading.
true, but its good to know where to start. I have quite a few drag runs under my belt, but if I went to the road course I would first be on here asking what techniques to use to get some kind of idea where to start

Originally Posted by partyboy1122
What route is everyone taking?

I don't mind meeting up either.
I also want to leave my buddys house (Lowell) around 430.

So who's racing!?

List:

Felipe- Evo VIII
I am going with the vette. Evo is still down.
I will be going up 95N around 330 ish I believe

Originally Posted by kjewer1
It's looking good. The hitch (effin expensive!) will be here Thursday. Parts to extend the steering shaft will be here Thursday. The new trailer is all registered and ready to roll. It's supposed to get down in the 30s by 10pm again, so I'll be trying to get there real early to get 2-3 runs in right away and put it away for the night. I have no desire to skate that POS into the wall...
good to hear. I will see you up there.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am taking 495 to 95
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:57 AM

I take 495 to exit 51 for 125 north. Follow 125 north basically all the way...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

got ya on the "drop the clutch"
as for the z1 stars, you said drag radial, not really what I had in mind, that would be more like a MT, BFG drag or something along those lines. The stars are more of an autocross/roadcourse tire with a stiff side wall = more spin off the launch.
what is your 60' with them spinning? you should try starting at a normal tire pressure and then work your way down, you'd be surprised at what mid 20's-30 psi will launch like.

true, but its good to know where to start. I have quite a few drag runs under my belt, but if I went to the road course I would first be on here asking what techniques to use to get some kind of idea where to start
correct. the sidewalls are stiff. i run 32psi in em normally. at the track i left it where it was and attempted a few passes. i even slipped the clutch quite a bit a few times and as soon as i let it all the way out the car would be in boost and break the tires free just past the Light Tree. my best 60' in the past 2 trips (cold weather both times) was a horible 2.0 i was averaging 2.1. I think i am gonna try mid 20's and it may be in my best intrest to lower my 2 step. for hot weather i found 5500 to be my sweet spot with my clutch. maybe going back down to 5 may reduce chance of making a smoke show.

Tony i run a 245 in the z1 star spec.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Tony i run a 245 in the z1 star spec.

so u got it in 245/45 or 40 because when i went to check out those tires the guy at townfair said when the width goes from a 235 to a 245 on a 45 scale the tire size will become larger so he told me to go with a 255/40/17 does this sound right
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

i will have to check what size mine are. people run both 40 and 45. either one will work

Quick Reply: New england dragway