Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Connecticut Evos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are at 7psi you are on wastegate pressure. Check your vacuum lines for the turbo..
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by nperkins
if you are at 7psi you are on wastegate pressure. Check your vacuum lines for the turbo..
Ah, good to know. I'll double check the vacuum lines, is there anything else that would cause that? Blown BCS?

Last edited by qucifer; Sep 29, 2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added BCS question.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qucifer
Ah, good to know. I'll double check the vacuum lines, is there anything else that would cause that? Blown BCS?
aren't you using a MBC Bryan? If so then your bcs is not in the picture anymore.

Either way at 7 psi i doubt it's just a boost leak something else is up for sure. As neperkins said Check the lines goin to your bcs. On should be from the compressor housing the other should be going to your waste gate actuator. Also if your on factory boost control the lines need to be a certain length and have a pill or two inline if I'm not mistaken. I think it's actually just one pill in there. A boost leak resulting in 7psi peak would cause massive overboost for your turbo trying to catch up and produce the pressure that the bcs is holding out for. Fluctuations, sluggish operation, slow spool, and lots of knock/ high loads on the logs are indications of leaks.

Anyway I have a pretty decent pressure tester that I use often and shop air at my place. Your welcome to it whenever you need it.

Good luck

Ethan
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ethan169
aren't you using a MBC Bryan? If so then your bcs is not in the picture anymore.

Either way at 7 psi i doubt it's just a boost leak something else is up for sure. As neperkins said Check the lines goin to your bcs. On should be from the compressor housing the other should be going to your waste gate actuator. Also if your on factory boost control the lines need to be a certain length and have a pill or two inline if I'm not mistaken. I think it's actually just one pill in there. A boost leak resulting in 7psi peak would cause massive overboost for your turbo trying to catch up and produce the pressure that the bcs is holding out for. Fluctuations, sluggish operation, slow spool, and lots of knock/ high loads on the logs are indications of leaks.

Anyway I have a pretty decent pressure tester that I use often and shop air at my place. Your welcome to it whenever you need it.

Good luck

Ethan
I am back on the BCS since my last time at The Shop in the wake of the whole blowing-out-the-dipstick thing. So I don't have the MBC anymore.

I was skeptical that it was a boost leak, but I am trying to think of things I can test for before Sunday. Now knowing that 7psi is wastegate pressure, it makes all kinds of sense that the issue is wastegate actuation. I looked at the vacuum hoses from the BCS to the turbo as best I could and they seemed ok, however I am not sure how thorough I was...I'll do it again next chance I get.

Might a pinched vacuum hose cause the problem, if one exists?

Could the ECU be doing something stupid? I don't know how limp mode operates, or if it would be obvious that I was in limp mode.

If it were a vacuum issue, wouldn't it be presenting as a rough idle too? Or does the turbo have it's own vacuum loop?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:00 AM

Maybe the BCS went bad, or came unplugged or something?

As far as dipstick blowing out... This is what I did on the rally car..

Never have to worry about it again..
Old Oct 1, 2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by nperkins
Maybe the BCS went bad, or came unplugged or something?

As far as dipstick blowing out... This is what I did on the rally car..

Never have to worry about it again..
The BCS is still plugged in, but could definitely have gone bad.

As far as the dipstick goes, I want it to act as a pressure relief valve. If for some reason pressure is building up, I would rather it blow the dipstick out than the oil pan gasket or something.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys. Still waiting to hear from people for the Fall Foliage Run. If i dont get much interest, then i'm not even going to try to plan it. The last couple get togethers we've had there were only like 5 or 6 of us there. I'm not going to waste my time if people arent going to show up.

October 23rd. Who can show up?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by silkey00
Hey guys. Still waiting to hear from people for the Fall Foliage Run. If i dont get much interest, then i'm not even going to try to plan it. The last couple get togethers we've had there were only like 5 or 6 of us there. I'm not going to waste my time if people arent going to show up.

No can do on the 23rd, sorry.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

suck.

so..... opinions..... i need seats unbelievably bad right now and i see no reason why not to get a knock off set of Brides. Wadya think?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:45 AM

Why do you think that Jake stopped planning it..... Evo owners in general are like this,they all say they are going to go and then on the last minute they all have something else planned. Just look at this thread from the begining(170 something pages ago) and you will see what I am talking about.
Make a LIST and let people who say that they are going to put their name on list,then see who actually shows up.....
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by qucifer
The BCS is still plugged in, but could definitely have gone bad.

As far as the dipstick goes, I want it to act as a pressure relief valve. If for some reason pressure is building up, I would rather it blow the dipstick out than the oil pan gasket or something.
The PCV system is made to handle this.. The dipsticks blow out because the PCV just can't evac fast enough... not a HUGE deal.. If you put a dipstick spring on, the dipstick can still move, it just wont BLAST out and stay out.

suck.

so..... opinions..... i need seats unbelievably bad right now and i see no reason why not to get a knock off set of Brides. Wadya think?
Show or go? Are you going to track your car (Not Drag, TRACK).. If you are, i recommend real seats... If its more of a show car / toy, no reason to not go knockoff..
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

probably mostly show. ill probably only track once a month or every other month.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuner Network meeting tomorrow anyone? Ill be bringing a new owner with me. What time do people usually show up there?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Well guys, we had another work day on the monster. Here's a couple of pics i snapped. Enjoy.

Old Oct 3, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a couple more.

Quick Reply: Connecticut Evos