Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Just got a ticket for Reckless Driving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received a speeding ticket and a reckless driving ticket about 4 years ago. They were for doubling the speed limit. They each were 270 dollars and 5 points. I didnt have any previous convictions and was let off wit a 150 dollar fine and probation. Youll probably end up coming out of this with a fine and reduced points, but it is also up to the judge. So hopefully hes not having a bad day.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

if all else fails, say you misjudged your speed a little and didnt realize the corner was so sharp. but you still managed to keep your vehicle in control...
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by pickleknock
if all else fails, say you misjudged your speed a little and didnt realize the corner was so sharp. but you still managed to keep your vehicle in control...
This works if it's before the ticket, well it worked for me. I did this same thing and saw the cop, so I intentionally blew a shift so the car shook. When he pulled me over he checked me for DUI, seeing that I wasn't, I just explained the car was new and I was still trying to learn how to drive it correctly. Maybe I'm just better at B.S.

I think that it helped that I had my female friend with me too and the cop felt sorry for me.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Your lawyer or you will have to supeana the cops evidence. Basically his notes. The clerk of the court will have to send these documents to you within 30 days. Most of the time they don't make it in time for the court case. That info is what he will say in court. If you/your lawyer know this info ahead of time, you can come up with a good argument. If you don't recieve the documents within the 30 days, you can get it thrown out because you didn't have enough time to come up with a good defense. More than likely they won't throw it out, but continue it up to one time. But at least you will have a good defense prepared. A lawyer is a must! $500-$700 for this is a bargain if you get off.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Having just had a PI case dispissed becasue it was a B.S cop that arrested me on my front porch even thoug I wasn't drinking, I can tell you that cops are dicks. You have to have a lawyer to get anywhere. It is a boys club. The Da and the lawyers all know each other, and so do the judges. You need to get a lawyer that will look up the existing case law, and I am sure if what you say is correct, you stand a chance. I say chance becasue it will come down to your word against a cops word. Guess who loses that one. YOU DO. I would try to get off based on statue and existing case laws, and try to get the case thrown out by the DA if the prequisites for the ofense aren;t even met. If this doesn't work, you have two other choices, a trial by judge or a trial by jury. the judge will look to see if the laws were broken, and the jurl will see if it is "fair" taht you get punished. Either way, you need a lawyer.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Cops suck a smelly goat!

Plead not guilty at the original court date. Then get a trial date set. The cop may or may not show. If he doesn't, the case is thrown out (best case). (As a side note, cops get a min 3 hrs of OT for showing up in court if they are not on-duty, so they usually do so In my experience). If he does show, HE has to prove you were driving reckless, not the other way around. If the judge asks your side, DO NOT try and justify yourself but rather explain the situation. You are in a new car, which you were driving in an unfamiliar area and made a turn a little quickly.

You have a perfect driving record and are not a reckless driver. If you have been to a driving school or are going to, take that paperwork/information with you to prove it.

Tickets and courts are all one big ***ing hoax, they are "fundraisers" for the county so that they can jail inmates and fix roads.

Botttom line, ne polite and professional to the judge. If he tries to sentence a fine or jail time, explain that you work and it could hender your ability to "provide for your family" and therefore you would like to know if you could attend a driver education class or something along those lines.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:49 AM

To fight a ticket, the best chance u got is to hire a lawyer THAT only does traffic court.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:02 AM

Well, that statue leaves alot for interpretation. Basically since there were no other people in your car etc, its going to be your word against his. The things you can argue with this is if there were any posted signs, speed limits (like a 25 mph through turn), pedestrian, etc. If there are any of those, its in your best interest to plead no lo contendre. Basically the judge will with hold adjudication, you will pay the fine, more than likely have to take a stupid driving class (which you can take online now), and no points will be assessed. This is more than likely what a lawyer is going to do. First thing I would do is check for the traffic control devices. if there are none, then I would more than likely fight it, but if there are, then i'd plead. In any event, good luck man.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:10 AM
Account Disabled

I have received 6 speeding tickets since i purchased my Evo totaling about $1,200....i drive fast everwhere I go, i cant help it i love the vehicle and how it feels, runs, and handles, i just drive to damn fast!!!! oh well!!
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by poolshark2015
I received a speeding ticket and a reckless driving ticket about 4 years ago. They were for doubling the speed limit. They each were 270 dollars and 5 points. I didnt have any previous convictions and was let off wit a 150 dollar fine and probation. Youll probably end up coming out of this with a fine and reduced points, but it is also up to the judge. So hopefully hes not having a bad day.
I went threw the same thing 8 years ago, got it knocked down from 10 points to 3 and loss of license for 30 days.

Anyway, go to court and talk to the prosecutor, you should be able to at least have it knocked down to careless. Reckless is a tough ticket to prove, I think you need to risk someones life for that. You can also ask the prosecutor to pay the fines but no points.

And if you still get the reckless, you should get rid of the car, I'll take it.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 05:57 AM

OK, hear is the deal. I had 3 people in the car that will all testify if necessary that I did not take any risk in going around the turn. The maximum points in NJ for this offense is 5 points which sucks, but is not the end of the world.

I did call a lawyer this morning and am waiting for the callback. I was going to represent myself until I heard the judge was a real hard ***.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:04 AM

Ok, check for the signs. Like i said if there isnt one that has a recommended speed for the upcoming turn, then with 3 people in the car you have a very good case. Just have all of them testify that they didnt feel their safety or anyon eelses was at jeopardy.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Some cops are real ******, especially at month-end!

Do not plea down! You did nothing wrong. The only plea you should consider is innocent all the way!

If memory serves me right, with reckless driving, it is COP's burden to prove that you were driving recklessly - if he cannot, then you are off. Reckless is actually much better then speeding, since it is cop's word against yours - no radar reading, no nothing. Just because you made a quick turn DOES NOT mean you broke any laws. Unless of course this was in a school zone, with little kids present, yada yada yada - make sure you cover your *** in that regard. I'd say the freaking copper that gave you the ticket knows that too and WILL NOT show up for court - I'd give it 95% chance and am willing to bet on it.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 06:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I will keep you guys posted.

It is a good thing a cop hasn't seen me when I WAS pushing it through a turn
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:35 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, but I had my court date about a week ago and have been swamped at work since.

Here is the moral of the story. Get a good lawyer and you are golden in court. I plunked down $400 for a lawyer and all I got was a $150 for unsafe driving which is an unreported, no point ticket. So it cost me $550, but considering the insurance costs for reckless driving, I think of it as a bargain.

Another bonus about the lawyer was I was in at 8:30 AM, out at 9:40 AM while 90% of the other people were still sitting there.

PM me with any more questions. Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply: Just got a ticket for Reckless Driving