Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Talk about an unfair legislation bill

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about an unfair legislation bill

Sorry if this is a repost or something. But this was brought to my attention and i think it is absolutely ridiculous.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62538

"For the third time, legislation (H.B. 471) that would effectively prohibit the use of exhaust systems other than a “factory-installed muffler” or a “muffler meeting factory specifications” has been introduced in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives by Representative Michael K. Hanna (mhanna@pahouse.net). The bill has been referred to the House Transportation Committee.

Contact Rep. Hanna and Members of the Pennsylvania House Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 471

* H.B. 471 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

* H.B. 471 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance and utility.

* H.B. 471 would make it nearly impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

* H.B. 471 perpetuates the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.

Please contact members of the House Transportation Committee in Harrisburg today to oppose this legislation. This bill unfairly tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Pennsylvania."
Old May 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
SME
Evolved Member

Its a terrible bill but seems inevitable with our bill happy government
Old May 2, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

that really sucks. sorry to hear about that.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

FL FTMFW!

Good luck with that man! I know VA was trying to do simliar things a few years back...
Old May 2, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

idk if it has been passed or declined yet, but other then inspection purposes i dont see how they are going to enforce this.
Excuse me son, but here is a ticket for an aftermarket exhaust.....
O yeah officer, well prove it.

The only thing they would be able to go off of is sound. In which they already have sound laws so it wouldn't be an different. The one thing that really pisses me off is the "illegal street racing". People are going to street race regardless no matter what they have or how loud it is.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how the House Rep that proposed this bill is from East Bumblef**k, rural PA. Do what you want to your buggies and tractors, let the car culture have fun with its cars.

I'm sure there are aftermarket options with mufflers that meet "factory specifications" though, no? Does the bill also include pipe diameter specifications, etc? Either way, what a BS bill, and hopefully it gets shot down like the previous two times.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SME
Its a terrible bill but seems inevitable with our bill happy government
Huh? Inevitable?

Not if you do something about it instead of complain like you don't have a say in the matter. This Bill pisses me off! But the guy that started this post is doing exatly what he should by making it known to others that this bill directly affects. If you live in PA then take the necessary steps to voice your opinion.

OK, I'm done now.