Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya I dont know any state law that says you cant alter a STOCK exhaust. Most say you just cant have an exhuast that doesn't pass emissions or is louder than $$ decibels.
seems you got jacked the first time and they are trying to jack you again.
stand up for yourself and know your rights and dont let Peaces of S$!T bully you over.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjm4life
sorry to say but ditch the wing. nobody notices me with out it.
I have to agree. I don't get bothered even w/ a buschur tbe w/ test pipe which is defening. The stock wing makes your car a donut on wheels to a bored cop, although I never had a wing to ditch
Old May 17, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Move to Cypress. Won't have to pay US taxes either.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

WA used to try to say the same BS about this. i took my ticket to court and told them that i could put the stock exhaust back on but it would be louder because the can got ripped off in an accident. they ended up telling me that it could be altered but couldn't be louder than about 90 dbs
Old May 17, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Damn points for an exhaust ticket?
Old May 17, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Stainless steel RRE stealth exhaust painted black...no one will ever bother you again.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CICreations
Seriously, how can you be WTF? You live, as suck as it is, in a state where a modified exhaust is ILLEGAL. You decided to take your chances and installed a very loud setup. And seriously....a testpipe??? You're were just asking for it. Try living in California for a while and you'll learn not to be so blatant about it. A little stealth goes a long way.
i totally agree with you ^!! i have a fake cat ( stock evo heat shields) & a fake muffler. kept the tip similar looking but bigger & have never been bothered by the cops. sh*t, i'm running straight pipe! c'mon bro, dont make it easy for them.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

It's coming to all states. Handwriting is on the wall. If i was a profitable tuner company I would start a national organization to hire lobbyist and start a Federal program like Germany's TUV, so aftermarket parts can be tested and sold to the public. All this aftermarket work will be illegal in the future. Not just exhaust.....In the meantime change to a quite exhaust and you get to drive faster!
Old May 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
It's coming to all states. Handwriting is on the wall. If i was a profitable tuner company I would start a national organization to hire lobbyist and start a Federal program like Germany's TUV, so aftermarket parts can be tested and sold to the public. All this aftermarket work will be illegal in the future. Not just exhaust.....In the meantime change to a quite exhaust and you get to drive faster!
The organization in America that fights for car enthuisists rights is Sema Action Network or SemaSan. If you are not already a member I urge evryone that enjoys our car culture to google it and join up. They have stopped many a laws from coming into play that would make our lives miserable. The have leglislators in different states and lobbyists to try stop laws actually becoming law that would affect our lives. You get a newsletter each month sent to your email that tells you what laws they are fighting in what states and other things related to the organization. Its just one of the ways you can fight back against the leglislators that make these laws that we don't agree with!!!

Last edited by hk2ronin; May 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
you really should do some research or talk to an attorney about what "altered" means. in the state of new york, you can change your exhaust, but you can't alter it by doing things such as a bypass or cutout. based on the way the clerk is claiming the statute reads, every midas and meineke in the state would be out of business unless they used oem stuff, which simply isn't what's happening. a strict, and probably incorrect, reading of the law would seem to even prohibit a screw on chrome tip cover. clearly that can't be the case.
You can replace your exhaust in New York with an exhaust wich isn't louder than a stock exhaust...I don't know any aftermarket exhaust that is quieter than stock. You were right about the cutout/bypass which is totally illegal.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

First of all, why did you get point for having exhaust ticket? it's not a moving violation

Second, why don't you want to put your stock cat back on? If I were you I would do it, especially cops are strict over there, you only lose about 10whp "The Most" big deal, you still running dp and test pipe, that's the most important.
Another option is vibrant cat back or Greddy's catback and paint it black.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:38 AM

Reason #16783 on why Massachusetts sucks.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

why in the world would they give you points for a freaking exhaust ticket????
Old May 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
You're lucky you're not in Cali. You would've gotten busted for the test pipe which is $$$$$. $50 plus the insurance hike would be chump change.

only if you drive like a jackass, i ran my legacy completely catless for 3 years, with no problems, i even ran thru a few of the robosniffers and i was fine
Old May 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
You can replace your exhaust in New York with an exhaust wich isn't louder than a stock exhaust...I don't know any aftermarket exhaust that is quieter than stock. You were right about the cutout/bypass which is totally illegal.
wrong. it can be louder, but can not exceed decible limits set in the vehicle and traffic law. you are refering to a section of the law that is enforced as if it is a noise statute, but is really an equipment statute. The court of appeals (which is the highest court in the state) has ruled on this long ago. If you are getting (or possibly giving) tickets due to noise levels pursuant to section 375.31 of the vehilce and traffic law, then they should be dismissed.

Quick Reply: Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!