Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
get an exhaust that exits straight out the rear instead of the angled exhaust and it might help such as the perrin stealth catback
Old May 17, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
New Jersey is really bad with any type of modified exhaust...but since I've moved to South Carolina I haven't had to worry about sh*t since there is no inspection...

Suggestion for you...QTP cutout downpipe bolted up to a 3" or 2.5" HFC then bolted up to a stock cat back...or just a QTP downpipe bolted up to a stock cat and stock cat back...obviously you have very limited options for exhaust upgrades with a state that is that strict with exhaust modification...
Old May 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couldve been worse. you could be living in Kali with its **** laws
Old May 17, 2009, 04:26 PM

Well just to sum it up It passes emissions testings also with no problems.. Both times i have been ticketed it was NOT for being to loud. I believe its because of being a angle mounted and stainless steel muffler. Probably didnt help that when i was pulled over i didnt shut the car off and it is pretty loud at idle. I also have a carbon heatshield thats riveted on.. Cops in the towns i commute to back and forth from work are just bored. And yes a altered exhaust ticket in Mass is known as "Illegal operation of a motor vehicle" which equals two points on your licence.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Cincinnati... we can get away with anything.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
wrong. it can be louder, but can not exceed decible limits set in the vehicle and traffic law. you are refering to a section of the law that is enforced as if it is a noise statute, but is really an equipment statute. The court of appeals (which is the highest court in the state) has ruled on this long ago. If you are getting (or possibly giving) tickets due to noise levels pursuant to section 375.31 of the vehilce and traffic law, then they should be dismissed.

Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

Basically this says if you have an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than stock its a violation. Doesn't say anything about decibals or noise statute. Nj and Ca are the only states that I know of having a set exhaust decibal level. I have gotten exhaust tickets before and they didn't get thrown out. Some people get lucky and get these types of tickets thrown out but others end up paying. Guess it all depends on your luck.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hk2ronin
Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device.

No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

Basically this says if you have an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than stock its a violation. Doesn't say anything about decibals or noise statute. Nj and Ca are the only states that I know of having a set exhaust decibal level. I have gotten exhaust tickets before and they didn't get thrown out. Some people get lucky and get these types of tickets thrown out but others end up paying. Guess it all depends on your luck.
that is your faulty interpretation. the statute says to modify the exhaust system that is mounted on the vehicle, not necessarily the stock/oem exhaust. the Court of Appeals has made it clear that this is not a noise statute and I presume they know more than you about the law. anyone who gets this ticket for loudness in ny can and should have it dismissed and in fact, if they pm me, i will take care of it for them free of charge if they are a member of this forum. I will post the citation to the case in the morning as I do not have it at home. It is unconstitutional to have a subjective test like what would be required to enforce this statute as you claim. again, you are simply incorrect. there is a separate section of the vehicle and traffic law that addresses decibal levels for different types of vehicles and how to measure them, such as standing so many feet from the center line of the road with a decibal meter as a vehicle passes by at a specified distance. I have had many cases (dwi's, possessions, etc.) dismissed that were predicated on traffic stops under this section for noise. why not just tell us all that you are a law enforcement official and then i can further explain how you don't know the law as you claim to.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Just register the car in another state with a PO box.. nothing like them not messing with you because you're technically an outta towner and don't give go by their rules.. I LOVE going to cali and seeing the police not being able to do anything to me, since I'm in NV
Old May 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJJimGreen
Just register the car in another state with a PO box.. nothing like them not messing with you because you're technically an outta towner and don't give go by their rules.. I LOVE going to cali and seeing the police not being able to do anything to me, since I'm in NV

U can really do this? Doesn't the DMV require like 3 proofs
Of residency?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BBoostin
In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system. I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback. I was stopped by state police about a year ago and recieved a fifty dollar fine for "altered exhaust". Being only a fifty dollar fine i paid it. Then i talk with my insurance agent and i was surcharged. Two points on my license and my insurance went up $280 dollars a year for the next six years! So whatever i forgot about it. Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF! seeing as i knew the outcome I sent in for a appeal. Well this past Wednesday i went to court and explained to the clerk that my car passes state inspection and i dont understand why im being ticketed.. he said most inspection stations dont look to see if the car has a modified exhaust. He gave me a month to put a factory exhaust system on my car and told me to either bring the car to court with the factory exhaust on or take a pic of it on with a reciept from a mechanic and he would drop the 2nd ticket. I have since bought a factory catback but dont want to put it on! anyone else been bothered like this?
2 Points on your license for a modify exhaust? WTF?
Old May 17, 2009, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

I used to think it was cool to have a loud exhaust. As I've gotten older it is much better to have a quiet exhaust. No tickets and you can enjoy more speed. Look at it this way; if a cop is bored and hears a loud exhaust he will pull you over because now he has a reason and even if its his opinion the judge will probably agree with him. Less attention will let you enjoy your ride without the hassle. The only thing a loud exhaust gets you is admiration from teenage boys. That's not cool.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

YEAH IM SAYING MOVE ONE OF MY BUDDIES HERE IN ALABAMA WAS RUNNING OPEN DOWNPIPE ON HIS EVO U KNOW HOW LOUD THAT IS LOL
Old May 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
U can really do this? Doesn't the DMV require like 3 proofs
Of residency?
Not in NV.. well, it's a little different in my case..

I got a PO box in another COUNTY since they don't have smog.. another state, I still don't think it's any different right? I mean, what if you're there on business? Just need an address...
Old May 17, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think registering your car in another state will always get you out of a ticket. ive known people who have gotten speeding tickets driving to/from cali and they had nevada plates...

this is the same principle
Old May 17, 2009, 07:26 PM

that sux man but if u live in a state where they actually care about this sorta stuff you r wasting your time going to court but what you could do is, get an exhaust that's not bent at the tip and actually comes straight out from under the bumper, and two get it powder coated in black. A shiny bent exhaust is all they want to see.

Quick Reply: Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!