Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
move? In the great state of South Carolina we drive trucks with side pipes and mustangs with turn downs and civis with no exhaust.
LOL, South Carolina is a bad @$$ state. I love it there its great. I was going to move there. People are friendly and polite. Not like the *** hats here in IL.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

a. find somebody w/ the same evo as yours w/ a stock exhaust. Swap plates take picture and be done w/ it. You installed the exhasut as far as they need to now.

b. you can photo shop the pic.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
BMS
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBoostin
In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system. I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback. I was stopped by state police about a year ago and recieved a fifty dollar fine for "altered exhaust". Being only a fifty dollar fine i paid it. Then i talk with my insurance agent and i was surcharged. Two points on my license and my insurance went up $280 dollars a year for the next six years! So whatever i forgot about it. Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF! seeing as i knew the outcome I sent in for a appeal. Well this past Wednesday i went to court and explained to the clerk that my car passes state inspection and i dont understand why im being ticketed.. he said most inspection stations dont look to see if the car has a modified exhaust. He gave me a month to put a factory exhaust system on my car and told me to either bring the car to court with the factory exhaust on or take a pic of it on with a reciept from a mechanic and he would drop the 2nd ticket. I have since bought a factory catback but dont want to put it on! anyone else been bothered like this?

Welcome to the club bro, 99.9% of the state troopers in MA are *******s.

I have over a dozen exhaust tickets on my record. You gotta try to avoid them, but most of the time they pull you over for the smallest bs.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

2 points on your license for a non-moving violation?
Old May 18, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Wow I thought GA was bad. I got an exhaust ticket in my ITR power'd civic hatchback.....saw the cop a few weeks later and he said he and his buddy were having a ticket contest to see who can give the most tickets. Such BS. GA doesn't even havea set decibel rating in the statute
Old May 18, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
I don't understand why you cannot modify your exhaust if it passes emissions. Not state inspection EMISSIONS! If the state does not care enough to check the exhaust system then chances are it doesn't matter. They absolutely positively cannot use the excuse of noise, because I am tired of hearing Harley's with their nasty v-twins flooring it on the highway. Those things are loud, and not a good loud either.
A lot of cops have bikes too. That's why they don't give most bikers any crap.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedEcotecSS
why in the world would they give you points for a freaking exhaust ticket????
It's a moving violation... same with illegal tint or having any type of plastic cover on your license plate.

OP, put the stock exhaust back on. Deal with it.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by njboy
I used to think it was cool to have a loud exhaust. As I've gotten older it is much better to have a quiet exhaust. No tickets and you can enjoy more speed. Look at it this way; if a cop is bored and hears a loud exhaust he will pull you over because now he has a reason and even if its his opinion the judge will probably agree with him. Less attention will let you enjoy your ride without the hassle. The only thing a loud exhaust gets you is admiration from teenage boys. That's not cool.
Yeah. loud exhausts are obnoxious. Thats the next thing on the list to correct on mine.

Originally Posted by LOVEBOOOST
YEAH IM SAYING MOVE ONE OF MY BUDDIES HERE IN ALABAMA WAS RUNNING OPEN DOWNPIPE ON HIS EVO U KNOW HOW LOUD THAT IS LOL
really? take it to the track. don't bring that on the street, it makes the rest of us look bad.

Originally Posted by recompile
It's a moving violation... same with illegal tint or having any type of plastic cover on your license plate.

OP, put the stock exhaust back on. Deal with it.
Damn.. tint, lights, etc all of that down here is a non-moving equipment violation. Even driving with an expired tag is a non-moving violation. Kinda like having a loud stereo, how is it that its a moving violation? the car can be equally loud in a parking space. reckon thats how MA got the nickname massivetwo****s.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

you should have done something the first time instead of let it go.
here in Arizona they don't care. I have no cat straight pipe exhaust and I have never been pulled over
Old May 18, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've been pulled over more times than i can remember. I've been given several warnings and have fought the tickets. This last year they finally got an "exhaust ticket" to stick... because i admitted to having an exhaust leak - which by the vague way the law is written they stuck it to me under the same law, despite not making the case that my exhaust was illegally modified. i essentially incriminated myself...

you have no idea how pissed i was that the magistrate got me on a technicality...

bottom line - MA beat me into submission after a 3 year battle... I now run the stock cat-back.

if they worded the law more specifically, it might give us a chance to fight it, or at least be clear that infraction is not a moving violation. The law is worded in such a way that it gives the troopers the ability to interpret the law... and given my experience with the integrity of MA STATE POLICE... this is less then ideal.... but then again - if they didn't lie on multiple accounts in court or on said tickets - I would have a criminal record or at minimum a couple more tickets on my record *shrugs*

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 18, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:49 PM

I have had altered (read: loud!) exhausts on my last 4 DSM's, and only once was I ever pulled over for an altered exhaust. No ticket though, just a warning. As long as you don't drive like an ***, you will likely be ok. I also coast by cops (push the clutch in) whenever possible just in case. Sometimes it is just that the cop feels like being a dick and picking on the riceboxes with the park bench wings on the back, while they give a thumbs up (figuratively) to 'muscle' cars or trucks with load exhausts...
Old May 18, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McLaren F1 2003
i dont think registering your car in another state will always get you out of a ticket. ive known people who have gotten speeding tickets driving to/from cali and they had nevada plates...

this is the same principle
No it isn't... Speeding is a federal law (like underage drinking) modifications are state laws, like same sex marriage.

Originally Posted by recompile
That's rediculous, I am never ever moving to MA unless I absolutely have to. We may not be as loose here as SC, but at least were aren't having our insurance go up because we're parked in a parking lot with illegal tint...

Originally Posted by linuxman51
really? take it to the track. don't bring that on the street, it makes the rest of us look bad.

Damn.. tint, lights, etc all of that down here is a non-moving equipment violation. Even driving with an expired tag is a non-moving violation. Kinda like having a loud stereo, how is it that its a moving violation? the car can be equally loud in a parking space. reckon thats how MA got the nickname massivetwo****s.
Does Alabama have laws against that type of thing? If not, why does his friend need to take that to the track?

And ditto on all that stuff being just equipment type violation. I got a following too close ticket dropped down to a "fix-it" ticket for a "broken windshield" in court here, my argument was that I didn't want points on my license.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
No it isn't... Speeding is a federal law (like underage drinking) modifications are state laws, like same sex marriage.

gotcha
Old May 19, 2009, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
speeding and underage drinking are not federal laws. look at your interstate speed limit signs. many of them say state speed limit. that's why you can only go 65 in new york, 70 in south carolina and 75, or in some cases more, in montana. you are confusing the federal government making financial incentives for states to pass laws, like speed limits and drinking ages. if speed limits were federal laws, you wouldn't go to your local court to address the tickets. the very simplified explanation is that there are actually constitutional issues at play here that allow certain things that can not be easily changed to not be prosecuted in other states. that's why you can drive in ny from ct with no front plate, or you can drive from florida in to ny with tinted windows.
Old May 19, 2009, 05:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stop breaking the law.

Quick Reply: Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!