Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
stop breaking the law.
the point is that he may not be breaking the law.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
the point is that he may not be breaking the law.
You know your stuff Legal-Z. I wish you were in MA because I've been lucky so far (mostly thanks to a military I.D. but that isn't going to work forever, especially now that the summer is around) but I know I have more than one exhaust ticket in my future.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
California tried to make black paint illegal

It could be worse lolz
Old May 19, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having lived in Taxachusetts for two years ('06-'08) with a less-than-stock Evo, I count myself as lucky for having never recieved a ticket in state. (I was harassed by local police for driving an attractive, sporty car on/near a college campus). The draconian motor vehicle laws are screwed up as the state government is too focused on same sex marriage, universal health care, taxing the snot out of everyone, and their own pervasive corruption issues.

Thank goodness I came to my senses (only took me two years) and quit my job AS A STATE EMPLOYEE and left MA. NY might have issues but it is worlds better than MA.

Good luck with your case. F*** them.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam that sux iv been doing pretty good with my cobb exhaust it was nice and quiet well till i put cams in and it looks alot like stock
Old May 19, 2009, 01:19 PM

Well being north of you in New Hampshire the openly stated law that Mass abides too is similar to what was happening here for some time. The altered exhaust system did imply that companies like Midas and Meineke were selling/installing systems not legal in the state. I am not sure exactly how it all played out but in the end the only limitations we currently have is anything affecting the pollution control ( cat ) and excessive sound. The only catch is the decibles portion is still not defined which can still lead to some issues. Best bet if you want to spend the time get into the SEMA action plan as stated before. Won't be any change unless more and more tax paying residents of the state proceed with any action. Otherwise all you can do is eat your pride and get back to stock. Good luck
Old May 27, 2009, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
that is your faulty interpretation. the statute says to modify the exhaust system that is mounted on the vehicle, not necessarily the stock/oem exhaust. the Court of Appeals has made it clear that this is not a noise statute and I presume they know more than you about the law. anyone who gets this ticket for loudness in ny can and should have it dismissed and in fact, if they pm me, i will take care of it for them free of charge if they are a member of this forum. I will post the citation to the case in the morning as I do not have it at home. It is unconstitutional to have a subjective test like what would be required to enforce this statute as you claim. again, you are simply incorrect. there is a separate section of the vehicle and traffic law that addresses decibal levels for different types of vehicles and how to measure them, such as standing so many feet from the center line of the road with a decibal meter as a vehicle passes by at a specified distance. I have had many cases (dwi's, possessions, etc.) dismissed that were predicated on traffic stops under this section for noise. why not just tell us all that you are a law enforcement official and then i can further explain how you don't know the law as you claim to.
Well I havn't gotten pulled over or ticketed for my exhaust in my Evo...knock on wood!!! If I ever do I will have to take you up on your offer I am also not a law enforcement officer...I just had bag luck with exhaust tickets and my previous car and I didn't have a lawyer to fight for my tickets. This is what the officers and the judges told me that were dealing with the tickets.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

california is the worse with exhaust laws my nephew with a honda civic has a fart can on it got pulled over and was tickited for 700 dollars and had his registration on hold i was like wtf so thank god for rre stealth exhaust no attention from po po lol
Old May 27, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by McLaren F1 2003
i dont think registering your car in another state will always get you out of a ticket. ive known people who have gotten speeding tickets driving to/from cali and they had nevada plates...

this is the same principle
That's different. That's a moving violation. In my hometown in Jersey i got pulled over constantly for no front plate and no inspection. (90% I GOT OUT OF THEM THOUGH)

Moved to P.A daily drive my spyder which is illegal in every possible way known to man. No insp., no front plate, slammed to the ground, motor swap, every single piece of emmisions equipment removed, .ect. ect. Never got so much as a glance from a cop here. Must be all the redneck boys in the big trucks with stack pipes taking all the heat off.

My buddy drove his 1g dsm from nj up here as well(for work/storage at my place). He got pulled over going through town because he was missing his bumper cover, but the support beam was there. All he showed the cop was a pink slip. No regi/insurance/insp..(state cop nevertheless). After much bickering and arguing(never a good idea but this kid's got *****) we went on our merry way.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:49 PM

I've gotten pulled over twice in the last 4 days. Once was for no front plate, but no ticket and the state trooper didn't even mention the exhaust. And then tonight for being a "little loud and going fast" no ticket either time. I'd like to quiet my Megan TBE though...
Old May 29, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Have a buddy at a local shop print up a reciept saying that i put the stock exhaust back on and go to court with it. Then explain that you backed into a curb and it put a hole in the exhaust so you just ordered an aftermarket exhaust because it was cheaper then factory. Then go on to say i made a mistake and i apologize for the inconivience to you, the police officer and the court and i put the stock exhaust back on so i wont run into the this problem again. Here is the reciept......... Thats what i would do.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

lol has anyone ever been bothered like this.... altered exhaust OWNS my driving record and owns 70% of the reason why im without a license for the next 4 years stock exhaust does just fine, just leave the dp 3 inches with a test pipe.

Originally Posted by BBoostin
In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system. I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback. I was stopped by state police about a year ago and recieved a fifty dollar fine for "altered exhaust". Being only a fifty dollar fine i paid it. Then i talk with my insurance agent and i was surcharged. Two points on my license and my insurance went up $280 dollars a year for the next six years! So whatever i forgot about it. Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF! seeing as i knew the outcome I sent in for a appeal. Well this past Wednesday i went to court and explained to the clerk that my car passes state inspection and i dont understand why im being ticketed.. he said most inspection stations dont look to see if the car has a modified exhaust. He gave me a month to put a factory exhaust system on my car and told me to either bring the car to court with the factory exhaust on or take a pic of it on with a reciept from a mechanic and he would drop the 2nd ticket. I have since bought a factory catback but dont want to put it on! anyone else been bothered like this?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by j14mp
lol has anyone ever been bothered like this.... altered exhaust OWNS my driving record and owns 70% of the reason why im without a license for the next 4 years stock exhaust does just fine, just leave the dp 3 inches with a test pipe.
Have to ask...so what the other 30% of the reason you dont have a license?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Have to ask...so what the other 30% of the reason you dont have a license?
honestly, when i can drive again, my car is staying with the stock exhaust. It works FINE and dont worry... your quiet stocker will still turn heads and get u laid if thats what some people need...

few speeding, tint, unreg unisured, probly a stop sign, i dono but theres 4 exhaust tickets on there and a driving after habitual.

If your on here HIDING the fact ur a habitual... do NOT drive hahaha they dont like when u drive after being a habi lolol

whatever but my point is... WHY CONTINUE TO BREAK THE LAW WITH ALTERED EQUIPTMENT! you drive like a bone head or mod your car for street use... you will be in my shoes i dont care how old u are. look, if i could take off 4 tickets from the exhaust, I probably could have continued on my path of being responsible and kept my license. Since I was 19, exhaust tickets have owned me and lead my to habitual... I began to drive very responsibly but with altered equiptment... that didnt mean ****. as a matter of fact, if i got none of those tickets in the past 3 years... my accountable record woulda been gone when i was 21 and I could drive without worry of becoming habitual.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

The exhaust system law is one thats never made any sense to me. I was pulled over and ticketed twice in VA by the same cop (for being too loud). First time I fought it saying I put the stock one back on and won. The 2nd time I fought it with the argument, 'What is deemed too loud?' The short end of the story, is the cop did not have a dB meter at the time of pulling me over. I also brought in sound and video clips to use of traffic moving down the highway. Clips of my car in traffic and by itself. I also had clips of Harleys, sport bikes, jake brakes on trucks and exhausts from V8s. It never got to that, but my point was, my car was 82dB on a sound meter I purchased from Radio Shack, while ambient noise from the highway at sometimes was 85dB.
The times I was pulled over, I was the ONLY car on the highway and the cop pulled me over because he didn't like my sound.
Point is, bring random pics in of a car with the exhaust on it, screw the receipt bull**** because its something you can yourself. Say the problem has been fixed and the court will throw it out.
You can put in a high flow cat which will cut down on some of the noise or keep it the way it is and be pulled over every few months. When you get pulled over, keep that ticket with you, that way if you get pulled over before you court date for the exhaust, you can show the cop you've already been warned and he won't ticket you.

Quick Reply: Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!