Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!

In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system. I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback. I was stopped by state police about a year ago and recieved a fifty dollar fine for "altered exhaust". Being only a fifty dollar fine i paid it. Then i talk with my insurance agent and i was surcharged. Two points on my license and my insurance went up $280 dollars a year for the next six years! So whatever i forgot about it. Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF! seeing as i knew the outcome I sent in for a appeal. Well this past Wednesday i went to court and explained to the clerk that my car passes state inspection and i dont understand why im being ticketed.. he said most inspection stations dont look to see if the car has a modified exhaust. He gave me a month to put a factory exhaust system on my car and told me to either bring the car to court with the factory exhaust on or take a pic of it on with a reciept from a mechanic and he would drop the 2nd ticket. I have since bought a factory catback but dont want to put it on! anyone else been bothered like this?
Old May 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

move? In the great state of South Carolina we drive trucks with side pipes and mustangs with turn downs and civis with no exhaust.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by scottatyamaha
move? In the great state of South Carolina we drive trucks with side pipes and mustangs with turn downs and civis with no exhaust.
Lmao! yea dude i need to move! right after getting my ticket i was driving on the freeway next to an old F-150 with the stacks coming thru the bed.. i tell my friend, im like dude thats not altered exhaust?! are you kidding me!
Old May 17, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, either move, or buy a quieter stealth exhaust...
Old May 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

thats beat
Old May 17, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i agree with the above i would move no point to having a evo in that state unless your rocking stock. I would so be out of there
Old May 17, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand why you cannot modify your exhaust if it passes emissions. Not state inspection EMISSIONS! If the state does not care enough to check the exhaust system then chances are it doesn't matter. They absolutely positively cannot use the excuse of noise, because I am tired of hearing Harley's with their nasty v-twins flooring it on the highway. Those things are loud, and not a good loud either.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You're lucky you're not in Cali. You would've gotten busted for the test pipe which is $$$$$. $50 plus the insurance hike would be chump change.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Man that sux? Is it loud or something?!?
Old May 17, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBoostin
In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system. I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback. I was stopped by state police about a year ago and recieved a fifty dollar fine for "altered exhaust". Being only a fifty dollar fine i paid it. Then i talk with my insurance agent and i was surcharged. Two points on my license and my insurance went up $280 dollars a year for the next six years! So whatever i forgot about it. Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF! seeing as i knew the outcome I sent in for a appeal. Well this past Wednesday i went to court and explained to the clerk that my car passes state inspection and i dont understand why im being ticketed.. he said most inspection stations dont look to see if the car has a modified exhaust. He gave me a month to put a factory exhaust system on my car and told me to either bring the car to court with the factory exhaust on or take a pic of it on with a reciept from a mechanic and he would drop the 2nd ticket. I have since bought a factory catback but dont want to put it on! anyone else been bothered like this?
you really should do some research or talk to an attorney about what "altered" means. in the state of new york, you can change your exhaust, but you can't alter it by doing things such as a bypass or cutout. based on the way the clerk is claiming the statute reads, every midas and meineke in the state would be out of business unless they used oem stuff, which simply isn't what's happening. a strict, and probably incorrect, reading of the law would seem to even prohibit a screw on chrome tip cover. clearly that can't be the case.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

get a picture of a stock evo. have a friend with a shop write a receipt for the labor. done.

sorry to say but ditch the wing. nobody notices me with out it.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

exhaust cutout ftw
Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 AM

So if you really feel that strong about it, stop paying the fine and challenge the law!
Old May 17, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u know a friend with the same color evo as urs and someone with a shop? if so, put ur license plate on his and have a receipt printed haha.

wow, ur insurance is affected by that?
Old May 17, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBoostin
In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to modify any factory exhaust system.
I currently have a helix downpipe, testpipe and a HKS hi-power catback.
Then about a month ago i get stopped again for "altered exhaust" im like WTF!
Seriously, how can you be WTF? You live, as suck as it is, in a state where a modified exhaust is ILLEGAL. You decided to take your chances and installed a very loud setup. And seriously....a testpipe??? You're were just asking for it. Try living in California for a while and you'll learn not to be so blatant about it. A little stealth goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Got ticketed.... AGAIN.!