Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

need exhaust advice...mine is too loud

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need exhaust advice...mine is too loud

anyone know wat exhaust is pretty quiet....mine keeps gettin me tickets and its bs already......
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I researched this for days and decided on the Cobb TBE. The problem is that the welds on the resonator are known to be weak so you may have to get it fixed one day for 50 bucks. But it looks bone stock, sits flush with the bumper and sounds good to me (YouTube it in comparison with some of the other quiet TBEs recommended here). It's also tested SAE legal decibals even with the test pipe. I'm gonna run it with the Mil.Spec 100 Cell Cat.

But it's been discontinued so If you decide on it you betta hurry.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

run stock and add a hiflow cat....
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:03 PM

i have the jdm rear....so i dunno about the stock exhaust....
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

which exhaust you have now?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:05 PM

some bs megan....dumb loud.....i wake up the whole block....in the beginning i liked it but now its just too much
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 10SEKNDMR
some bs megan....dumb loud.....i wake up the whole block....in the beginning i liked it but now its just too much
Im starting to feel the same way. Where in NJ are you from ? Im from long branch and the locals are starting to get on my *** because I always say im gonna change it but never do
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was lookin into the WORKS exhaust cuz of its stock fitment and its supposed to be pretty quiet too.

Your exhaust must be pretty loud cuz i live in NJ and never really got harassed for exhaust on other cars.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

i have a carbon ti and that is pretty quiet, but it does require adjustment to fit a JDM rear, im sellin it too if ur interested, but im not sure how to modify it to fit ur exhaust
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:37 AM

I live in clifton nj. My boy too just get a magnaflow muffler and it should quiet it down.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I have the fujitsu catback and its quiet as hell, though I do have a high flo cat installed. I've never had a test pipe so I don't know how loud that setup would be. The nice thing about the catback is that it sits farther back than most on the stock VIII bumper, that and its spray painted flatblack to hide it.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:30 AM

I would go with the Cobb TBE if you can find one. I had their exhaust on my Impreza and it looked stock and sounded great. I'd like to find something that looks and sounds similar for my Evo..

Blk - I might be moving to Long Branch or somewhere closer to Ft Monmouth, which is where I currently work. Maybe I'll see you around some time.

Last edited by K2EVO9; Oct 1, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

i run the stock cat-back with a megan down pipe, and resonated test pipe. the turbo noise is louder, because of the down pipe, but exhaust noise is as quiet as stock.

its pretty restrictive, so if you have a 2.3 you may be forced to run less boost, and an adjusted tune to prevent knock.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by K2EVO9
I would go with the Cobb TBE if you can find one. I had their exhaust on my Impreza and it looked stock and sounded great. I'd like to find something that looks and sounds similar for my Evo..

Blk - I might be moving to Long Branch or somewhere closer to Ft Monmouth, which is where I currently work. Maybe I'll see you around some time.
I thought I had found one but ended up getting screwed. They shipped the DP and the TP to me this morning even though they didn't have the catback. Today (luckily after reading this thread) I called to confirm they had it in stock and they told me no they called all over the country and couldn't find it and then tried to sell me the Greddy Ti-C for the same price or the Tanabe Medalion Touring for $68 more. I said I was only buying this now because I specifically wanted the Cobb after searching the forums for days (I don't plan to mod until after March) and I didn't want those others so I just need to cancel this order. They basically refused telling me it's already gone and additionally I should go ahead and mod the car now anyway even though I wasn't planning on doing so.

I called Fed Ex with the tracking number and asked them to return it to sender before it even left the city. Let's hope the vender reverses my charge without giving me crap and getting the Credit Card company or PayPay involved.

Back to the drawing board... *sigh*