Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

anyone ever beat a loud exhaust ticket in NJ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone ever beat a loud exhaust ticket in NJ

just like title says. got cited for 39:3-70. noisy muffler.. as anyone ever beaten this ticket.. the statue does not state i cant change my muffler but it has to be under 95db.. my car has passed inspection with this exhaust on.. AND GUYS DONT JUST SAY PAY THE TICKET... IF PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING THIS TICKET AND WINNING IT WILL LESSON THE CHANCE OF GETTING THESE TICKETS
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that what you got pulled over for or something else?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I never gotten a ticket for a loud exhaust, even with my old rsr which was hella loud compared to my ams, turned out the cop claimed that I didn't make a left hand turn signal at a stop anyways if you can prove that your exhaust is below the 95db then I guessin the ticket would be reduced or they'll get rid of it all together but I'm just sayin never had a this happen to me before hope everything works out for you good luck
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supercharged
Is that what you got pulled over for or something else?
yes thats the only thing. the cops in my town have no life.... they are saying its illegal. but its not.. i passed inspection with it and its only 89 db.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr
yes thats the only thing. the cops in my town have no life.... they are saying its illegal. but its not.. i passed inspection with it and its only 89 db.
If its DOT approved or w/e then you will win. Just bring the paperwork to court on that exhaust and bam you should win no problem. Also ask how he knew it was so load was a decibel reader used? If there is no proof that its over the limit then you would win.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06ravenmr

Then fight it take the paperwork wit you and they should drop it
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will say it again,why don't they give Harley's with strait pipes exhaust tickets?Ask the judge this question.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

My friend who is a cop in NJ said that whenever you got pulled over for loud exhaust or tints, then just pay for it and dont be a dumb because paperwork and any proof things are not gonna help in court. Thats what he told me to do when I got pulled over for those reason. And I am a NJ inspector at the private shop, you can pass with aftermarket exhaust unless gas coming out of your pipe or catless. I hope this helps you. GL!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:28 PM

As far as I understand in NJ. On the road exhaust levels are dictated at the officers discretion. No Db meter required for a violation like in PA. Different from inspection standards. A totally unfair law. If he/she has a thing against a certain car, they will target it. This was a problem when the SRT-4 was released. No mufflers, just twin resonators and cats stock. You know how they sound. Owners were being ticketed quite a bit. The officers wouldn't believe that it was a factory equipped exhaust. The judges subsequently threw those out with proof that the exhaust in question was in fact OE. Same thing happened to Evo and Wrx owners when their respective cars were released. Unfortunately, unless the exhaust is stock, you probably do not have a good chance of beating it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

And one more thing, when I had a G35 coupe, I got pulled over for loud exhaust (HKS cat-back and catless). Mustang 5.0 just passed by while I was arguing with cop. I asked him "why dont you get him for loud exhaust?" and he replied, "What do you think? thats a American Muscle. and you got IMPORT CAR". /sigh... I almost got arrested that night. lol whatever. Good Luck man!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I got 2 exhaust tickets.. paid them

Put *most* of the stock exhaust back on and added a 3" cutout

never had a problem since
Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

all u guys have good points and sujestions... but im not gonna just pay it.. there is no law saying it has to be oem..... if they find me guilty in regular court im gonna appeal it. im taking this all the way.lol..a cop shouldnt be the deciding facter to whats loud and whats not without some sort of calibrated device....

N.J. Stat. @ 39:3-70 (2002)

@ 39:3-70. [Mufflers]

Every motor vehicle having a combustion motor shall at all times be equipped
with a [muffler] in good working order and in constant operation to prevent
[excessive or unusual noise and] annoying smoke, AND NO PERSON SHALL MODIFY THE EXHAUST SYSTEM OF A MOTOR VEHICLE IN A MANNER SO THAT THE EXHAUST SYSTEM EMITS IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS AS MEASURED BY THE SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS (SAE) STANDARD J1169 (May 1998). IT SHALL NOT BE A VIOLATION OF THIS SUBSECTION UNLESS PROVEN BY PROPER AUTHORITIES THAT THE EXHAUST SYTEM MODIFICATION RESULTS IN NOISE AMPLIFICATION IN EXCESS OF NINETY-FIVE DECIBELS UNDER THE PRESCRIBED SAE TEST STANDARD.

Last edited by 06ravenmr; Oct 31, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

what town? and i just got one and yes i payed it....my exhast is loud as anything (I cant hear MAC trucks right next to me) and yes it does say 50 state legal but that usuallly means CARB or whatever bull****...if you have a front plate and werent really doing anything like not speeding or doing any drastic lane changes then no it probably wasnt necessary but just consider it payment for another time you were racing or soing somthing stupid and didnt get caught lol...yes jersey cops suck lol
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:24 AM

What happened to your tickets? Did you settle it in court or you just paid them? I had 2 tickets before when I had race pipe and JIC titanium exhaust. I also got an 03 Evo8 with TTR 50trim kit. I changed my exhaust to resonator pipe and HKS power exhaust, and I really love every minute of it now. I can listen to my radio now.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

my friend got an exhaust ticket and had his girlfriend's dad who owns a repair shop write a letter saying that it was inspected and the exhaust is in perfect working order and took that to court and they dropped the ticket.

Quick Reply: anyone ever beat a loud exhaust ticket in NJ