Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Fighting Speeding Ticket In MA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fighting Speeding Ticket In MA

Plymouth county. Got busted today on rte 3. Yes at fault. 90 in a 65 (although i thought I was alot closer to 80) as I was passing someone. Just broke free to the open stretch and there he was. I was thinking "Oh sure he'll let the guy with the big honking wing get away with it...."

Should I bother contesting or just eat it?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:38 PM

Lol, good luck with it whatever you decide, if you have a clean driving record i would say go in and at least talk to the DA. I am not sure if MA has it or not, but alot of states have Clean record first time offense get off free type things. If you don't have a clean record then i dont really have any advice for ya.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you have a chance at winning but you can always try. Just as the guy above stated, if you have a clean record, its worth a try. I remember being pulled over and the cop gave me a warning because my record was clean.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just going to pay it I suppose. He has me on laser and it is a state cop. What a waste of money. My own stupidity though. An expensive reminder to slow down. $335 plus the insurance "gift that keeps on giving". I have 2 recent warnings (you get those when you drive a Subaru )
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:31 AM

Fighting ticket

Just my .02, but there is always the chance that the trooper will not show up for the court appearance. Its a serious ***-pain, but as anyone who has ever been to court will tell you... Its all in your appearance and presentation. I sure would take a day-off and go to court on the chance of saving $300+ dollars! Dont forget the surcharge too, go and fight it!! Yes, I have driven that section of RT-3 myself and I have always been lucky- but with this new car my luck may be running out.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to hand it to you for owning up and accepting responsibility for your actions and not whining about the cops and how they have nothing better to do other then look for you etc.., good luck with your defense--could get deferred adjudication also if you have a clean record..meaning you pay the fine and if you stay clean for 6mos then there is nothing on your record and insurance doesnt go up.. look into it.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

always always always fight it. you have NOTHING to lose except a half day at work if you get a day appointment. I got a ticket near there at 4am dec 24 on my way home for Christmas doing 85 in a 65. I showed up to court in a shirt and tie and after about 10 dwi's/reckless drivers went before me, the judge looked at me and said don't do it again and dismissed it. You never know, but look professional and be courteous and you won't do worse than pleading guilty for sure.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
could get deferred adjudication also if you have a clean record..meaning you pay the fine and if you stay clean for 6mos then there is nothing on your record and insurance doesnt go up.. look into it.
MASS has nothing like this. If you are guilty you pay the fine and 6 year surcharge.

I would fight it. There are a lot of ways to win these, join some of the clubs that tell you how to do it.

I got busted for 80 in a 55 on rt3 in Chelmsford. I lost at the magistrate hearing, but I believe everyone does as you then have to pay the 20 bucks to go to court, just another revenue stream IMHO.

I had all kinds of proof that I was not speeding (I wasn't) but in the end, the state cop never showed.