Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Speeding ticket and $50 fine for Bushur Axleback??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speeding ticket and $50 fine for Bushur Axleback??

Hey all,

Recently got my bushur axle-back from MachV motorsports. Lucky I didn't get the muffler delete, since I was stopped for speeding - 45 in a 30 (brain fart on my part), but to add insult to injury, the officer tacked on $50 for "altered exhaust".

I live in North Attleboro, MA, but I got the ticket in Attleboro.

First, if I had a carb legal exhaust, I think I would definitely be ok, but I doubt this exhaust is carb legal. Or does this not even matter? Car is not loud, barely louder than stock. Anyone have advice to contest this ticket??? Or, is anyone friends with an Attleboro cop?

I have an email into Bushur to see if they have any info.

TIA,

FB
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did the cop know it was an altered exhaust? Did you tell him?

If not, and there is no obvious difference, put the stocker back on and then contest the ticket. This is really only helpful if you can mount the exhaust yourself. Having someone else do it would cost too much to be worthwhile.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Hi,

He said my exhaust was altered and it was too loud. Have you ever heard a Bushur axle-back, it's hardly loud. It's just a muffler, not even a full exhaust. I can definitely swap it back in about 20 minutes, but I don't even think I would need to.

It may be diff for each area, and I'm really just guessing (aka talking out my ***), but isn't it based on some acceptable db level? I still have my stock cat in place and everything. This is one of the reasons I went with "just" an axle-back. Aye carumba. I could try to find the acceptable db level and prove my exhaust is legal, or at least raise the possibility in court. If someone has other tips, that would be great.

Thanks,

FB
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know about MA but in some states its 100% illegal to alter a perfectly working stock exhaust
Old Dec 1, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

definately contest it. If all you got was an axle back exhaust, then all you did was "replace the muffler" ... just let them know that you backed over a curb with the stock muffler, bent it .. was getting horrible sounds and this was the exhaust in which the dealer recommended getting. It hasn't voided your car warranty and therefore shouldn't be "illegal" IMO.

that cop was probably a ***** cause you have a nicer car then he will ever have.

was it a car or motorcycle? did he look under the car at the exhaust? did you tell him it was aftermarket? whats the ppoulation in Attleboro? (just curious heh)
Old Dec 1, 2003, 06:24 PM

if you have the time to go to court...I would contest it

For him to say it was "too loud" would mean he has to present a decible meter at the time he pulled you over...I would also think he would need to present the state legal decible limit to you...and then show the reading your car put out...

If not he is just basing his assumptions on personal opinion.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds like he wanted to bust your ***** and tacked on the exhaust fine. I don't think you will have any trouble contesting that in court. BTW, attleboro is a decent sized town with about 42,000 people.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 07:09 PM

get a lawyer who drives an Evo
Old Dec 2, 2003, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Is your new muffler as quiet as the stock one? I bet not. Many states have a statute which makes it illegal to alter the exhaust system in any way that increases the noise. Massachusetts is one of those states. From http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/90%2D16.htm:
No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Hi,

I've seen that reference, but I think it's intent is for motorcyles or people that literally modify an existing exhaust to make it louder. I would think there is a DB levle that is acceptable, and if my "replacement" muffler compies with the limit, it should be ok.

Oh well, that's what I'll have to determine and bulid my case around.

There is definitely subjective input from his part. If I can get proof from an exhaust shop or inspection station that my exhaust complies, like a db reading, I should be able to get that portion dismissed. This is assuming it's based on an acceptable DB level...

For the speeding element, I can mention that there was a car in front of me, so I can call into question whether it was my car or the car I was following. I think I let the car get a little ahead, and dipped into the throttle right in front of the cop, brilliant. This is how I would have hit 45 with the car in front of me doing <40, but it may help. My other approach is to try and get a forgiveness factor if I take a traffic safety course. I really don't want to kill my insurance premium.

Thanks guys. If anyone is a lawyer or has personal exprience, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FB
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
So what happens if someone vandalizes your exaust? Its a wear item... nothing wrong with replacing it. Just swap it out and ***** at the court. Look up local laws on it also, doesnt sound right. I know if you had a test pipe maybe he could say something but, WTF.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo11V
I know if you had a test pipe maybe he could say something but, WTF.
I know mang! It's just a muffler! Definitely not loud... Can you imagine if I had a full 3 inch exhaust, let alone a test pipe! Something isn't right, but I just need to put my facts together.

Thanks

FB
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

just take a pic of a baffle and take it to court, thats what us VA peeps gotta do. We have the same gay laws on exhaust here too
Old Dec 2, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Deny, deny, deny. Make the cop proof his/her case in court. How did s/he measure noise, etc. Crossexamine and trip them up. In you concluding statement tell them that you run a stock exhaust (unless you know there is proof otherwise - make sure you don't show up with your axle back in front of the court house) and you can only imagine that the cop's perception of excessive noise was generated by you being in a low gear, as you were shifting down to slow down for the officer.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 08:02 AM

I live in MA, the cop is a tool, go fight it in court and argue the stock exhaust is sporty and loud, you had not altered it. Show the judge a mitsu book where they point out the sport exhaust the evo has stock. They should remove the 50 dollar fine, i dont know about the ticket, good luck with that. Cops are tools and pick on you guys who have evos jsut cause you car looks hooked up while its stock.

I dont have a evo but my boy does and everyone has aftermarket exhausts, this is the first person i have heard of that got a ticket for it in MA.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket and $50 fine for Bushur Axleback??