Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Fatal Evo Crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SoR

Actually, if you are an older (older-older) driver and have gotten used to driving without seatbelt in the times where there were none or were not required, it's going to be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I find it uncomfortable driving without one because I'm missing something and I don't feel secured enough in the seat.
When I was 20, I pretty much never wore my seat belt. Now (40) it's pure habit. Start engine, put on seat belt, lock doors, *then* drive. Old dogs can learn new tricks, especially when they become aware that death is not an abstract concept.

Sad, and much too often repeated, news.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:24 AM

wow that last article was ruff. telling those kids stories. well who ever knows these kids, again my condolences!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I never used to wear my seatbelt untill one morning I got into my car and as I started to pull away from my house I got a feeling like I should put it on so I did. About 4 or 5 miles down the road I cross some railroad track and bam! some lady was stopped in the middle of the road. I ended up totaling my car but at least I'm still alive. Had I not have been wearing my seatbelt I would have smashed into the windshield. Ever since I always put it on before I go anywhere. Oh yeah the lady I hit she was ok too.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Not only do I wear a seatbelt, as the driver I force everyone who rides with me to put one on as well. One thing that really shocks and irks me is how people who always put on a belt in the front never think to do so in the back seat. While there is no windshield to smack into, an unbelted rear seat passenger can easily kill or maim a belted front seat occupant. Please, for the sake of yourself and the people you care about, wear a seatbelt regardless of where you are in the car. If someone refuses to do so, hit the brakes a few times to teach them a lesson, or ask them to leave the car. As the driver, you're the person responsible for the safety of your passengers, and that gives you the right to ask people to take care of themselves.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

anybody recommend using racing harnessess over a seatbelt, they seem to be more practical, what do you guys think?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not know if you shold wear a harness if you do not have a cage in the car. There was a track incident a few years back where a guy has a fairly gentle rollover in a BMW I think. He was using a harness and when the car went over he was held upright and was not able to move, when the roof collapsed it killed him as he could not lean over to the side, he was held to the seat by the harness. While I realise that this is a worst case senario, if a cage had been used in conjunction with the harness the roof prbably would not have killed him. I absolutely advocate using your seatbelt, I just do not know about a harness if you do not have at least a four point bar. I feel sorry for those families who have now lost loved ones when a simple click of the seatbelt could have possibly saver their lives.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

i had a harness for a while.. it's way too restrictive and inconvenient for street use, IMO.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:24 AM

harnesses are not recommended without a cage and helmet for that exact reason. in most instances they care safer since they prevent body movement (as in smashing into the steering wheel etc...) but in a rollover a standard belt lets your body move where it needs to and a roof that will crush will take the driver with it. I have harnesses on my FC and my GVR4 but I use the stock belts for street driving. I have the belts for autocross and, admittedly, bc they look good with my seats.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:22 PM

Its sucks that this tragic accident happened. The fact that they were speeding into a merge makes it even worse. There are plenty of places to go fast on LI, but not where this crash happened. And if they were wearing seatbelts, who knows what the outcome could of been. The picture in Newsday shows a bad wreck, on the drivers side, which even with a seatbelt, the drivers chance wass slim, the passenger, probably better if he'd been wearing one, and not to mention they are racing type seats for better lateral support. My sincere wishes to the family on this tragic event.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone take a picture with their digicam of the picture in the Newsday paper, or can they scan it. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2004, 09:28 PM

Mitsu can put all the safety features on the car, but the final step is up to you......DON'T TAKE IT FOR GRANTED
Old Mar 15, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by YellowFever
Can someone take a picture with their digicam of the picture in the Newsday paper, or can they scan it. Thanks!
I scanned the article which includes a picture. It comes out to about 500k. I just spent an hour trying to make it smaller without too much luck. If anyone wants the file emailed just PM your email address. The article was in Newday's Friday March 12th edition.

Flybyevo...
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

realize your power before you start throwing it around

-my condolences
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:40 AM

my condolences to the families of the two kids
i would like to further emphasize the importance of seatbelts. i will not leave my driveway without a seatbelt, as well NO ONE rides inm my car without a seatbelt, if you don't like it tough, find another ride, that goes for people in the back seat as well

SEATBELTS SAVE LIVES, it is not just a saying, it is the truth, things like this shouldn't happen so frequently in todays "modern technology" world
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

First, condolences to kid's families...

And second, condolences to all of us - based on a number of EVO wreck threads floating about, our insurance rates are going to hit the stratosphere next year when actuaries tally up and update their statistics tables... Better start an insurance premium fund... I guess this is an unfortunate side effect of making power affordable...

Quick Reply: Fatal Evo Crash