Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

207 Subaru Forester P0442 Code - small emission control system leak

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
207 Subaru Forester P0442 Code - small emission control system leak

Hello,

I am not sure whether your forum deals with other cars than Mitsubishi, but so far my 2007 Subaru Forester underwent two smoke tests and having their result I am not sure how to proceed.
Both smoke tests have indicated that there is a leak above the fuel tank. Mechanics are telling me that the fuel tank has to come down to locate exactly the leak and to do a repair.
However, the fuel tank is sitting above the drive shaft which has to be removed in order to lower the tank.
There is also a different approach using a borescope with attached videoscreen to observe potential leak from the fuel tank. Borescope can be used when the fuel tank is lowered by few inches only.
The problem is that even when the observed leak is fixed, you might find out later that Check Engine Light comes on again after the computer runs the complete test of evaporation system.
I cannot obtain fixed price for the repair of this leak because of its many potential sources and variables involved.
Would this qualify me for the emission testing waiver ?

Thank you for your advise.

George