Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Looking to powdercoat or paint stock wheels - shops & opinions!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005 | 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

Looking to powdercoat or paint stock wheels - shops & opinions!

Hey everyone,

I have been thinking about painting or powdercoating my stock wheels, and I had a few questions. I did a real quick photoshop job with my car and tried a dark gunmetal color and a bronze color. Here it is:

What do you all think?? I posted it up in the general forum and most people liked the dark / gunmetal color, but I haven't really made my mind up yet.

Second, I was wondering if anybody knows of any good shops around the Portland area that can do this. I'd rather have someone experienced do the job instead of messing it up myself

I've heard that powdercoating can make the wheel weaker, but I am not sure just how true this is. A friend of mine has powdercoated several sets of wheels and has never run into any problems with the wheels breaking or bending or anything like that.

I am kind of leaning towards the paint option right now, but I'm not sure. I really would just like to talk to a shop that has done this in the past. If anyone knows of any, please let me know! Thanks,

-Trevor
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 11:42 AM

the gold looks really nice on your ww....i was lookin in to this too but they say it is expensive...
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

i really like the gunmetal, i have been considering doing the same things with my wheels, just rather make my car faster first then look good later
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evopower1021
i really like the gunmetal, i have been considering doing the same things with my wheels, just rather make my car faster first then look good later
Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat... I am currently in the process of making the car faster, and I'm also in the process of making it stop faster. Better pads = more dust = more of pain to keep them clean, thus considering painting a dark color in order to hide some of this. If I can't have it done for relatively cheap, I will either do it later or perhaps not even do it at all, we'll see.

If anybody knows of anyone in the area that can do it for a decent price, please let me know! I'm looking around for a shop that has some experience with this and knows what they're doing when it comes to painting wheels.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

I like the gunmetal look. You should also darken the inside's of your front lights to a gunmetal color to finish it off. Just takes some high quality model paint, a heat gun, and a little patience.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 03:59 PM

I think I like the dark gunmetal myself. It looks really good on a white evo concidering almost anything you do looks good with white.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 04:01 PM
j8
Evolving Member

Go black I have a picture in my sig. Black is real nice on the white evo.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

I painted my wheels gunmetal. Took about four hours, and only cost me about 40 bucks! Ill post pics later when I get home from work If any one is interested in seeing them. They turned out great!
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by j8
Go black I have a picture in my sig. Black is real nice on the white evo.
Cool, that looks nice. Did you paint or powdercoat..? Do it yourself or have somenoe else do it? Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boosted1
I painted my wheels gunmetal. Took about four hours, and only cost me about 40 bucks! Ill post pics later when I get home from work If any one is interested in seeing them. They turned out great!
Yeah I'd like to see them. Thanks for the info and the pics
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking of painting mine gunmetal black as well but I'm not sure how to go about it. I was looking at the powdercoating option but I had a friend with an integra who had his right front break apart at 35mph and his rear left started to show some cracking, so I decided not to risk it with powdercoating. Now if I knew where to get some good gunmetal paint to paint my rims with then I would definitely consider that.
Old Jun 26, 2005 | 03:28 PM

Don't powdercoat! It can cause catastophic failures. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=143464
Old Jun 26, 2005 | 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Now that you know powercoating is bad, I like the Gold color or black should be nice on white.