Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010 | 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 907dsm
Sweet what's his name? I can always use some more parts for my build. I love the looks of the X with some 18's with a wide stance and wingless.. it's in my pants oh wait TMI.. sorry lol.

I say create the thread whom ever don't like I say **** EM...
His name is Colver. What kid of parts do you need? I could ask him next time I see him. He lives down in Kodiak now.
I might just post a couple pics in the photography thread on there. I talked to a girl who has a white IX, and we are going to get some pictures of our cars together sometime soon!
Old Oct 23, 2010 | 06:09 PM

Hi all am new here, and just wanted to drop in and ask a few quick questions about evos...

I live in anchorage ak, so everyone knows how bad the winters get, dont even what to think about it, snow is just a few days away now..... currently am looking for an evo, I hear many great things about them, and also has all the options that am looking for ina car. apart from checking the vin numbers to match all the body and engine parts, what are the things that are more likely to fail? Is the mechanical maintenance expensive? Thanks in advance hope to hear all your comments.....
Old Oct 23, 2010 | 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by raa-raa
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself to you guys. I just bought a 2010 Evo X GSR from down in CA. It just arrived here in Anchorage on Monday. Some of you might recognize me from NASIOC or AKMS. I just sold my white STi a little over a month ago and I had a white Scion tC before that.
Here is a photo of the new car:

So far it is great except it is leaking some gear oil. Hope to see some of you around!

Hey raa-raa thats nice evo! how much was for shipping it up here to AK?
Old Oct 23, 2010 | 06:24 PM

hey guys i am actually in talks to buy an 03 evo from a guy up your way somewhere in alaska and i was wondering. how bad is salt damage to cars up there
Old Oct 24, 2010 | 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ak99505ak
Hi all am new here, and just wanted to drop in and ask a few quick questions about evos...

I live in anchorage ak, so everyone knows how bad the winters get, dont even what to think about it, snow is just a few days away now..... currently am looking for an evo, I hear many great things about them, and also has all the options that am looking for ina car. apart from checking the vin numbers to match all the body and engine parts, what are the things that are more likely to fail? Is the mechanical maintenance expensive? Thanks in advance hope to hear all your comments.....
Welcome to the club! (hopefully)

I have owned mine VIII since new (2005). I can't speak for everyone, but I have had no mechanical problems at all. I'm up to 80K.

Having said that, the maintenance is going to be more than a typical four door import, but lots less than most sports cars. Typical scheduled maintenance costs:

oil change - $75
brake pads - $200 min for a decent set.
brake fluid - $75
tires- $500 for a pretty good set

You can skimp on these things, but IMHO, your foolish to skimp of those things. Those items will always give the best performance bang for the price.

Typical problems with the VIII & IX I hear about are:

1. Rattling dash pieces
2. Water seeping into the wiring harness and corroding it. Check the big grommet and wires leading from it under the drivers side dash (left foot area). There are a couple easy access panels to pop open. In affected vehicles, the water seeps down to the connector in the plug. You have to look closely at the plug.
3. For people who change their clutch (even stock cars will have this done after 50k) and make high power, you should check the drive train closely. Listen to the rear at highway speeds. Any "whine" means a new transfer case is due. Not a deal breaker, but something to budget for.
4. Speaking of clutch, check the clutch by putting it in the highest gear while traveling 30 or so and then flooring it. If your RPMs jump a little without the car moving more, the clutch is slipping. Decent clutch is $500 +700-1200 in labor.
5. The brembos peel. If you happen to find one without peeling calipers, be happy.
Old Oct 24, 2010 | 01:26 AM

Hey raa-raa thats nice evo! how much was for shipping it up here to AK?
shipping!?

I have to say... anyone who owns an Evo cannot claim to be an enthusiast without driving the Alcan through Canada.
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ancho Rage
shipping!?

I have to say... anyone who owns an Evo cannot claim to be an enthusiast without driving the Alcan through Canada.
Believe me, I wanted to drive it up! Since I bought it from a California dealership, the only way I could avoid sales tax was by having it shipped up.
It cost $2,000 from Long Beach to Anchorage through Alaska Auto Transport.
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by jdavi100
hey guys i am actually in talks to buy an 03 evo from a guy up your way somewhere in alaska and i was wondering. how bad is salt damage to cars up there
Salt isn't used on the roads up here. Sand is spread on the roads on icy days for traction.
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Ak Autotransport for the Win. I used them to ship my Evo from Seattle. Service was great. Only paid about $1600 I think so 2k from LA an't bad.

After my experience with them I don't think I would buy another car up here unless it was just a killer deal.
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

The best thing you can do if your purchasing a evo up here is ask around for the history. Anchorage is so small almost everyone knows about the cars and can tell you if there is some crazy issues or whatever. That being said body panels aren't stamped with matching numbers as far as I know. Big red flags would be the gaps between panels. Make sure they are uniform. If you see some gaps that are bigger or smaller it usually means work (crappy work) was done. Maintenance isn't to bad if you do it yourself, things can get expensive when they start breaking and on a car this fun to drive hard you might very well go through some parts. If you drive it hard you can go through clutches pretty fast (especially if you abuse it) and damage your tranny or transfer case.

As with any performance car you gotta pay to play so if money is tight either drive it easy or pick another hobby.

Also if you plan on driving it in the winter, make sure you have proper rubber or its going to be horrible.
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by akeric
The best thing you can do if your purchasing a evo up here is ask around for the history. Anchorage is so small almost everyone knows about the cars and can tell you if there is some crazy issues or whatever. That being said body panels aren't stamped with matching numbers as far as I know. Big red flags would be the gaps between panels. Make sure they are uniform. If you see some gaps that are bigger or smaller it usually means work (crappy work) was done. Maintenance isn't to bad if you do it yourself, things can get expensive when they start breaking and on a car this fun to drive hard you might very well go through some parts. If you drive it hard you can go through clutches pretty fast (especially if you abuse it) and damage your tranny or transfer case.

As with any performance car you gotta pay to play so if money is tight either drive it easy or pick another hobby.

Also if you plan on driving it in the winter, make sure you have proper rubber or its going to be horrible.

Right on! thanks for your reply!
Old Oct 25, 2010 | 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raa-raa
Salt isn't used on the roads up here. Sand is spread on the roads on icy days for traction.
sand and rocks.

they've pelted the crap out of my car since I've been up here.
Old Oct 26, 2010 | 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by QwikEVO
sand and rocks.

they've pelted the crap out of my car since I've been up here.
I'd take the salt. I never keep a car long enough for it to rust out. lol
Old Oct 30, 2010 | 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

any of you 8/9 guys have your stock suspension?

I might need both front struts.
Old Nov 3, 2010 | 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Was behind a AS Evo IX on dimond turning onto King St. today, license plate said 'unique1' or some for thereof. Ironically it was basically my twin. LOL

Also had a guy stop me in my driveway today and ask if I wanted to sell my car. Wanted to trade me his Escalade,..... answer was no.

Quick Reply: Alaska