Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the link i posted a few posts up, that will take you to Mellon Tuning and you can get EvoScan and a Tactrix Cable from there. Like Eric said make sure you get the 1.3, it's cheaper and faster than the OP 2.0.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buddlight
What parts are you throwing on? Nick @Underground installed my shyte. EMC is another shop that does installs, I think JSPEC knows where they are located and few more install shops so hopefully he can chime in for you.

Tuning wise, there isnt enough Evo's up here for someone to really learn the ins and out of tuning one, my two cents is invest in EvoScan, a tactrix cable and get an email tune. Mellon or English Racing, have the reputation and results to back their email tunes. I have dealt with neither but will be getting tuned from one of them once the snow is gone. Their tunes are $300-400, depends on whether you have larger injectors etc....

Hes putting in 272 cams walbro and 1000 injectors. Wont be till mid April because of the seasonal tags so i have time to figure out what i wanna do.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by blacksunset
Budd-I really don't think I could ever thank you enough for what you showed me on that link,
I've wanted Evoscan and the cable for awhile but it all looked "fishy" and now I've got that on the way and finally a EBC for less then 600 dollars (most sites I looked at 6-8 for one) but needless to say.
Thank you
No prob. Had someone tell me I needed the WB so they could tune my car so I had it installed. When I finally got a Tactrix cable and Evoscan I decided to pull some data logs. I went to hook the WB to my laptop and found I had no way to hook up to it and was like WTF. Made my own cable and installed it myself (wish Mellon had that when I needed it). No cable for the WB when it was required to tune my Evo hmmmm, hence my recommendation for Mellon or ER......
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

EMC is located off of Schoon, just head down where Red Robin is. His rates are the best in town, i believe $75, plus he'll tow you if you're car isn't operating if something happens. Another guy to hit up is Vic, he works at Nissan but does all the work on alot of cars, but you gotta pay cash.

As far as Underground goes, i'd say go somewhere else, that's just my opinion. You'll be waiting for awhile to get it running right, if even that...P3 in wasilla is another option as well if you want to make the drive out there, mainly a subaru place though...Also another local tuner you can try is Nate (pie-r on akms) for tuning. Little history on him, Nick tuned a turbo d16 civic a few years back but the customer was not happy at all w/the "pro tune" that was done. Nate cleaned it up and dude was killing alot of folks that summer after the tune. I know when the motor blew, some folks were pretty happy about it happening, lol.

Now, for tuning. The best bang for you buck tuner you can get in my opinion and experience is John from Jestr Tuning. Its i think 2-300 for 6 month subscription tune so it'll cover whatever you put on for that time period and it covers pump, race gas, etc. I dealt w/Mellon last year, was alot of help and would recommend him as well. If it wasn't for the "pro" installs, i should have finished the pump gas tune, oh well.

So steel, why you running 1000cc injectors? If you're planning a green you'll probably just need 800cc at the most.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:36 AM

Hey steel, Budd gave me the sight to Mellon tuning in a post somewhere up there but go to mellontuning.com and that should have everything if not more to help you get started with it, I'm new to the tuning side for the Evo so it'll be interesting as well but the site is amazing, helped me tons
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:45 AM

Yea ER is a good company, speed density tunes to your everyday tune. Don't see to many like that anymore
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
So steel, why you running 1000cc injectors? If you're planning a green you'll probably just need 800cc at the most.
I got a good deal on parts from AWD Performance from Mike and the 1200s were only $20 more then the 1000 and gave me more room to build if i wanted, im prolly gonna do a green with a rebuild from the ix turbo but ive considered the black but for now i just want to do the 3 basics, cam injectors and pump.

Ill prolly just play online and try to find the right software and stuff, ill prolly just get that evoscan and a cable then hit up Mellon, everyone says hes really good.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:13 PM

Yea, I'm waiting on everything to get to me to be able to hit Mellon up for a tune, chris is going to make the rom for it but we need a long flat road to do 3rd gear pulls. I've already talked with Kevin and Mellon tuning and that's pretty much what he told me and it's on the site, however they say if you have aftermarket injectors, youll have to do a few more steps before 3rd gear pulls,
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In Alaska, your wasting your time with pump gas.

But that's just me.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:49 PM

ill deff agree qwik but mellon can tune off of pump gas as well but injectors up here arent really worth getting unless you can get a hold of race gas or "make" some,

so qwik,
your suppoed to get back in march but what time frame, mid or end........pending on both i dont think we wont have the chance to meet up
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

I get back the middle of March (the 11th to be exact)

Our stock turbos hurt on this BS gas. I'm sure that bigger cams/injectors/turbo will just make it worse.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by QwikEVO
I get back the middle of March (the 11th to be exact)

Our stock turbos hurt on this BS gas. I'm sure that bigger cams/injectors/turbo will just make it worse.
I think that more airflow will help power. You just won't be able to run the timing that you can with meth or race gas.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

race gas is easily available, it's if you want to actually pay 13-14 a gallon for it. Injectors are only really needed if you bump up a turbo size. So where exactly are you guys planning a 3rd gear pull?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:10 AM

If we had enough people willing to bring Mellon up here, we could pay a little more each to secure Raceway Park on an off day to do the pulls. Or 3rd gear pulls down C st again would work lol
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcRS
I think that more airflow will help power. You just won't be able to run the timing that you can with meth or race gas.
what good is burning all that fuel if you can't run the timing necessary to use the power?

I miss going to the dirt circle track and filling my tank with 110 for 5.25/gal. My car was in "kill" mode 24/7.

Quick Reply: Alaska