Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011 | 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Buddlight
Check the link i posted a few posts up, that will take you to Mellon Tuning and you can get EvoScan and a Tactrix Cable from there. Like Eric said make sure you get the 1.3, it's cheaper and faster than the OP 2.0.
So this is what i found that i need for tuning.

Evoscan -$20
Tactrix Cable -$137
Virtual Dyno- Free
ECUFlash 1.42- Free

So for $157 im all ready to go, need to do some logging then hit mellon up for a tune $3-400.
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 11:47 AM

Yea, price for me was a little bit higher but not buy much, maybe 30 dollars or so......but for tuning……if it's by Mellon there website has everything posted for them to mail tune and your going to want the mods you will be running, injectors idle new turbo blah blah blah, but it all needs to be installed on the car and ready to go or they won't be able to free up alot of whp, meaning they will have to re tune a tune they wrote for you already due to new parts......

Just throwing that out there......
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by steelfire19
So this is what i found that i need for tuning.

Evoscan -$20
Tactrix Cable -$137
Virtual Dyno- Free
ECUFlash 1.42- Free

So for $157 im all ready to go, need to do some logging then hit mellon up for a tune $3-400.
Do you have a wideband? Can't recall if you do.
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 02:00 PM

Do you have a wideband? Can't recall if you do.
I have boost, air fuel n vacuum but none are hooked up
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Before you buy all that crap, buy a wideband.

Without it, you're tuning blind.
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 09:38 PM

Yup, I would have been in the same boat if Budd hadnt pointed out I needed that WB AFR log cable, would have found out the hard way which would have really sucked lol
But I'll agree WB is deff the way to go.

Budd- when I get the log wire for the WB AFR could you possibly help me install it.....something I've never done before and would rather have someone looking over my shoulder that knows instead of me screwing it up,you won't have to do anything and I'll bring basic tools to a degree lol but just tell me if I'm screwing anything up, looks simple as is but would be more comfortable with a knowledgable person present
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 11:16 PM

Maybe im not cracked out for this tuning business, i almost feel better letting someone else tune it but you just cant trust ppl anymore to do a quality job.
Old Feb 17, 2011 | 12:10 AM

Yea but it's worth learning how to tune your own car as well, like jspec said, nick tuned a car and someone else went in and "finished" everything up the needed to be done, he could have prevented going to that person if he had known just a little about datalogging and tuning his car, what worked best and how to solve simple problems such as knowing AFR,timing,knock,injector duty % and how his MAF (by all means not saying he didn't) but just knowing little stuff like that can help, don't get me wrong I'm new to the tuning world and don't want to tune my own car just not yet (dont feel comfortable or know enough) but would most deff like to be able to one day down the road. So don't get discouraged by anything, that's why you always have a back up ROM file to go to if you manage to mess up.

But that's how I see things and by no means am I calling you out or meaning to offend you but like I said that's how I see things
Old Feb 17, 2011 | 12:27 AM

Also with Ecuflash and ROM files, correct me if I'm wrong but say your car has been flashed 3-4 different times.....that might have been the last "path it could handle and you wouldn't be able to flash anymore......(not 100% sure on that) but is reasonable to believe, which is why I think alot of people use Cobb accessports or AEM EMS (both pretty good systems regardless) but I thought I would throw that in rather I catch heat or get told im totally completely wrong but please do correct me on anything wrong
Old Feb 17, 2011 | 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Never heard of that. I know you can fry your ecu and lock yourself out if you mess with the immobilizer code. I've flashed mine close to 10x or more when i was adding parts left and right. When ttp came up we flashed it about 4x or more while you tune it. You make the adjustments on the spot, flash, and do pulls again to see where you're at w/timing and stuff. BTW everyone goes to AEM, haltech, Motec because its SD. Never really seen the need or reason behind having a Cobb, not alot of evo's use them, more of a subaru thing i believe. Nowadays though, SD is available for the stock ecu. Little to complex for me, was looking into for sure though. Remember reading it takes about a good 2 hrs just to get the ecu in sync w/ everything. Now, this was like maybe 1-2 years ago i looked into it, things might be alot easier now.

If you guys really bring mellon up, gotta secure the track. I know i'm not too interested in seeing my evo do 3rd gear pulls down c st lol

Last edited by Jspec EVO VIII; Feb 17, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2011 | 08:43 PM

Well, why not set up some directive for that to happen, I'll miss it but would still try and help out with trying to get Mellon up here, would just give a buddy my keys and let him do it but a friend had to fix his Evo 3 due to leaving it with him so blah lol, but I'll deff help with Mellon an the track. I'll miss due to being in afghan
Old Feb 18, 2011 | 01:41 AM

has anyone heard of the company GIZZMO???

they have a EBC for 339 that is well to good to sound true and was wondering if youve had exp. or heard anything but the EBC is the gizzmo MS-2
Old Feb 18, 2011 | 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
Re: Group Tune
Quote:
Would you be interested in flying up to alaska do a group tune? If so, what would the price be for that?

Thanks in advance,

Evan
hey Evan, thanks for your interest...usually the process works like this:

you would round up 4-5 cars that would like to be tuned.
the cost of tuning, flight, hotel would be split amongst the group. I charge 400 per car currently for a road tune. (I don't price gouge for remote locations). Payment would be made in advance of the trip and is non refundable so that in the event someone changes their mind at the last minute, it doesn't blow the trip for everyone else. As long as I'm paid in full up front for 4-5 cars + expenses (flight, hotel), I'm coming whether everyone shows up or 1 person does.

I'd be coming from Memphis, TN and it would need to be on a friday afternoon flight to alaska and a sunday morning flight back most likely so that I don't miss much work.

let me know your thoughts, I'd love to come to alaska
We would have to tack on the price of the hotel ($375?) plus the price of the track rental (I'm not sure the price of rental) divide that by however many are getting tuned and then add that the $400 for the final price. The ticket we could pool airmiles together for that if people have some laying around like myself. I see at least four people posting they want to get tuned, I am sure we could round up more as there are a few X's that probably need a tune.

To me this would be worth it. A) You are done tuning in one day and not tied to your availability to datalog+send to tuner+have tuner make changes+send back to you+repeat....
B) We are doing 3rd gear pulls on the track instead of the street. I've got two speeding tickets in the last 18 months (wasn't even driving the Evo) and don't want another while tuning the car.

With ECU disassemblers doing magic, no one really runs the AEM except for those hitting 1000HP. AWD Motorsports put a car through the 1/4 mile at 8.99 on the stock ECU with SD. Never heard of anyone overflashing their ECU. Have only seen problems with immobilizer codes and the random ECU dying.

J-Spec-check out JohnBradley(English Racing) post on Speed Density. Guy has it down to a science now. All you need is 4 Bar MAP sensor, no need to drill the UICP to install a AIT anymore. ( about time you updated you sig....)

AccessPort- Never heard of anyone using it other than Subarus and GTRs. Waste of money on an Evo.

Never heard of gizmo. If we were to bring Mellon here, you could do ECU based boost control for the price of a 4 Bar MAP Sensor ($100) and Grimspeed/GM 3 Port BCS ($100).

I can help you install the harness, not too hard. Hardest part was soldering since that was the first time Ive ever soldered.

Last edited by Buddlight; Feb 18, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2011 | 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by steelfire19
I have boost, air fuel n vacuum but none are hooked up
Install your WB before attempting to log, as your AFR the most important data, preferably you boost gauge as well. Especially if you plan on turning up the boost.
Old Feb 18, 2011 | 01:48 PM

hey i got the GIZZMO MS-2 off mellons site, so i mean, would it really be there if it wasnt worth the money?
So all im doing now is waiting to use Evoscan,

have almost everything for it except the tactrix cable and AFR log cable, trying to have mellon overnight those to me but still playing the waiting game ugh

Quick Reply: Alaska