Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksunset
It was tuned by someone up here, p3 I do believe. But Evoscan looks normal I do believe unless I am
Over looking a few things, whenever we meet up ill let you take a look at her, just to be safe.
Post your log.

Originally Posted by QwikEVO
there's no way you're pushing 25psi on this **** 90 octane safely.

Drop it down to 18/19...and even then you might not be safe.
Depends on his timing...this cold/dry air helps up here even on 90. Not saying its efficient, but our pump is what it is...I'm guessing the 25 psi is a boost spike and tapering off quite a bit on the top end.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
Anyone interested in a brand new RRE Stealth exhaust? Have one coming up but won't be needing it apparently. I'll let it go for 600 since thats what it cost to build it. I'll be taking the hit on shipping. Just let me know guys. Its stainless steel and powder coated black as well.
Sold the car?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkstas
Depends on his timing...this cold/dry air helps up here even on 90. Not saying its efficient, but our pump is what it is...I'm guessing the 25 psi is a boost spike and tapering off quite a bit on the top end.
That would be considered severe retardation...

...of the timing that is.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:01 AM

yea, ill agree with qwik on this one, its not a boost spike, ive got my gizzmo set up to stop a boost spike a mile away man, no way itll happen and overboost if detected is well killed instantly as well. whole car if over boost might feel like its gonna die, idk yet not over boosting lol......timing is running anywhere between 3-9 (advanced timing though evo scan)

im just gonna say the hell with it honestly......if it has retard timing then ill live with it till i have some money for parts i want, install them and buy a tune from mellon, at least they know what there doing. untill then the evo is no longer in a running state and will remain so untill mods are complete and tuned, meets are out for me.........
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

yea, ill agree with qwik on this one, its not a boost spike, ive got my gizzmo set up to stop a boost spike a mile away man, no way itll happen and overboost if detected is well killed instantly as well. whole car if over boost might feel like its gonna die, idk yet not over boosting lol......timing is running anywhere between 3-9 (advanced timing though evo scan)

im just gonna say the hell with it honestly......if it has retard timing then ill live with it till i have some money for parts i want, install them and buy a tune from mellon, at least they know what there doing. untill then the evo is no longer in a running state and will remain so untill mods are complete and tuned, meets are out for me.........
What I mean by "spike" is at peak torque you see 25psi...but because of the flow rate of your turbo, boost should taper towards redline. You can still drive it, just reduce your duty cycle on your boost controller to lower boost to be "safe".
Old Mar 14, 2011, 03:44 PM

What I mean by "spike" is at peak torque you see 25psi...but because of the flow rate of your turbo, boost should taper towards redline. You can still drive it, just reduce your duty cycle on your boost controller to lower boost to be "safe".

I know what you mean man, and hit me up sometime, you and Qwik both, share the knowledge lol, but i really can't drive it......have a bad seal around the tranny (driver side) that is leaking fluid barely, (I can drive to Seward and back and be ok, didn't know I had it then) but when full it drains a good amount 1/4 a qt and don't wanna risk it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

I know what you mean man, and hit me up sometime, you and Qwik both, share the knowledge lol, but i really can't drive it......have a bad seal around the tranny (driver side) that is leaking fluid barely, (I can drive to Seward and back and be ok, didn't know I had it then) but when full it drains a good amount 1/4 a qt and don't wanna risk it.
Sounds to me that your over filling your trans...but yeah I'll hit you up sometime this week. I got my car currently apart again so been busy with that. Your boost controller is easy to adjust, but its gonna be a trial and error thing. On my gizzmo I had 6 different boost settings I could toggle through, the shop should of helped you adjust it or least showed you how. But its all good
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'd figure out a way to get that thing down to stock boost levels until you can get a safe tune on that bad boy.

You need a wideband in order to really complete the tuning cycle. It's nice to know if you're knocking or not, but you need to see your AFR's too.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Sold the car?
Negative, oh so close though. So, anyone gotta hookup ona IM? Lol, bank refused the loan since i'm on a seasonal.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
Negative, oh so close though. So, anyone gotta hookup ona IM? Lol, bank refused the loan since i'm on a seasonal.
It's a sign!!!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:13 PM

Flash the Tephra mod with IM force to pass, not sure if that will help with visual inspection though.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by QwikEVO
I'd figure out a way to get that thing down to stock boost levels until you can get a safe tune on that bad boy.

You need a wideband in order to really complete the tuning cycle. It's nice to know if you're knocking or not, but you need to see your AFR's too.

AFR is in the high 14's 14.7-15.3, and depending what im doing obviously, thats normal driving, and ive got the AFR log cable and the USB converter to log just need to install them as well as the ALT map switch
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

AFR is in the high 14's 14.7-15.3, and depending what im doing obviously, thats normal driving, and ive got the AFR log cable and the USB converter to log just need to install them as well as the ALT map switch
What wideband do you have?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 PM

AEM, I'm deff thinking about switching to the LC-1 though, heard it's more reliable, easy to tune with and easier to log with then AEM

At the time I bought it i really just wanted something there to give me a heads up if something had been potentially wrong or needed retuned but now that I'm getting further into it and know alot more then what I did I'm starting to regret getting it, com ports won't work for it if it's not in 1-3, 4 is hit an miss others no luck (what I've heard) and LC-1 I've just heard amazing things about and AEM just doesn't seem like a good investment for me anymore,

Last edited by blacksunset; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:23 PM

I just re read what you had said lol, but I've never taken my car to red line, I won't do it due to the taper, I don't have a DV yet and want to keep as much as possible (none as of right now) so instead of it tapering and having to build back I'll shift about 1000-1500 lower then redline so it doesn't have to build a whole lot all at once again. Rpms are set to 7600 and I'll shift between 6300-6500
Regardless I'll get taper, no way around it but I think it helps to an extent..

Quick Reply: Alaska