Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QwikEVO
goddammit. ANOTHER Evo in Eagle River?

and that "meet" is a joke. Waste of time, IMO.

and how do you know your turbo is maxed out? There's plenty of Evos on this forum running 11's on a stock 8 turbo (even some in the 10's). I highly doubt you're at the limit of the stock turbo. If you feel that you need something more, go with a 10.5 hotside or find a 9 turbo. My 9 turbo still has more in the tank...I just need better track prep and a flawless launch to squeeze more. Or e85...but that'll never happen unless you pay out the *** for it.
the meet is a joke, but there are still some people out there that aren't total idiots, and its as close as I get to a meet I think. I don't do the 'cruises' and I don't go often, but it keeps me from going to the bars and getting in trouble. Plus it can be cheap entertainment.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

Im not 100% sure that its maxed i just assume, it surges between 14-16lbs at wot and then the boost really spikes at about 5k rpm, i was able to take a video yesterday of it so i will try and upload it, i have the 10.5 turbo but would like to get a IX sometime soon.

I finally saw your car on thursday night you were headed towards ER from anchorage around 830 or so, it looks sweet all blacked out but i was only able to check it out for that split second.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steelfire19
Im not 100% sure that its maxed i just assume, it surges between 14-16lbs at wot and then the boost really spikes at about 5k rpm, i was able to take a video yesterday of it so i will try and upload it, i have the 10.5 turbo but would like to get a IX sometime soon.

I finally saw your car on thursday night you were headed towards ER from anchorage around 830 or so, it looks sweet all blacked out but i was only able to check it out for that split second.
You should be at 18-19psi with it tapering off in the top end. Sounds like you either have a bad vacuum line connection with your boost controller or gauge, or you have a boost leak.

Thanks, I don't get it out as much as I should...but it was a beautiful day not to on Thursday. We really need to get on this meet planning business before the weather takes a ****.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:43 PM

You should be at 18-19psi with it tapering off in the top end. Sounds like you either have a bad vacuum line connection with your boost controller or gauge, or you have a boost leak.

Thanks, I don't get it out as much as I should...but it was a beautiful day not to on Thursday. We really need to get on this meet planning business before the weather takes a ****.
I believe its set at 23 with a peak of 25 (thats what i was told by the guy who tuned it) which seems kind of high which is what could be causing the surging i am assuming, the last few times i have logged 3 Bar Map says 28.905 which i think is like 14-15psi but my failsafe is whats holding my boost down so low, now that i think i have that fixed i have yet to log and see what it says.

I work in ER, im there almost everyday except i leave for vaca this week so we should meet up, sometimes this car frustrated the hell outta me.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe its set at 23 with a peak of 25 (thats what i was told by the guy who tuned it) which seems kind of high which is what could be causing the surging i am assuming, the last few times i have logged 3 Bar Map says 28.905 which i think is like 14-15psi but my failsafe is whats holding my boost down so low, now that i think i have that fixed i have yet to log and see what it says.

I work in ER, im there almost everyday except i leave for vaca this week so we should meet up, sometimes this car frustrated the hell outta me.
Your 3 Bar MAP should read the same as your boost gauge, unless you didn't set the scaling for you elevation in EVOScan.

My buddy had the same surging on his 8, I did a boost leak test and found a huge leak at the LICP, and a ****ing hole in his FMIC. So yeah, do a boost leak test.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:30 AM

[quote=QwikEVO;9449985]You should be at 18-19psi with it tapering off in the top end. Sounds like you either have a bad vacuum line connection with your boost controller or gauge, or you have a boost leak.

Originally Posted by Buddlight
Your 3 Bar MAP should read the same as your boost gauge, unless you didn't set the scaling for you elevation in EVOScan.

My buddy had the same surging on his 8, I did a boost leak test and found a huge leak at the LICP, and a ****ing hole in his FMIC. So yeah, do a boost leak test.
Do a boost leak check............... My 9 can carry 21 all the way to redline (4 bar OMNI). I would thin 8's could too (I may be wrong). I have the load boost tune/mod on it. Manual boost controller? Blow off valve? How is the boost controlled? Of course I am not an expert and still working out tuning gremlins.......

Buddy
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:36 AM

1st- I use the grimmspeed 3 port solenoid and 2nd here is that video, now most of its junk but i didnt edit it yet, so the only part that matters is from 1:00-1:12 or so, you can hear boost kick in 3rd gear and then about the 1:08 mark is when it pulls out of 14psi and jumps to about 23 which i think is where the meth kicks in.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...0709171541.mp4
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

man, I really need to start getting back into playing around with my car and digging around on the forum.

Half the crap you guys are saying I am like WTF.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

man, I really need to start getting back into playing around with my car and digging around on the forum.

Half the crap you guys are saying I am like WTF.
Its all ECU controlled Boost chat.

I prefer the simple Hallman. Set it and forget it.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrcRS

That's what I figured. I just have my little 'ol Greddy Profec B. Worked fine for me for 6 years...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:57 AM

anyone wanna make a buck, or a couple hundred and help put some cams in?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by wrcRS

OMNI 4 Bar for logging and Hallman MBC for me.

Couldn't help you with the cams, however my best advice is to get VRSpeed to give you a tune after you get them installed. I would recommend Mellon as well but I don't think he does ECU controlled boost via remote tuning. I've said it before, I wouldn't let any local shop touch my tune. Hell, even if you don't get the cams installed I would still get a retune from a real tuner with experience in ECU controlled boost.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

anyone wanna make a buck, or a couple hundred and help put some cams in?
Don't forget to let people know about the valve springs...some people are able to do it with a certain tool with the head still on but I wouldn't recommend it. How much are the local shops trying to charge for that?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

what size cams are you running?

272s dont really need them. I never changed mine out.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:08 PM

Yea i have the gsc beehive springs, most hear that and want to tear the head off to do which is why they all want like 800+ for the install and then another 200-300 to tune the damn thing, i need a turbo put on as well so im trying to find someone who is handy at that and i would just love to help. Im not very mechanically inclined.

Best price in town is Nate at pie-r he quoted me 400

Quick Reply: Alaska