Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

dynoflash/utec

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005 | 08:13 PM

dynoflash/utec

I was wondering if anyone out there has had a dyno flash and went to a utec? I have a flash now but with Al coming I am considering a utec...I wonder if there are many benifits from one or the other?
Old Dec 27, 2005 | 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

the greatest thing about the utec is the ability to run different maps. the tuning in order to get them is expensive, but being able to run a race fuel (whatever your pleasure) map, and a wife map, and a valet map, would be great. i was super interested in one for a while, but i am thinking of just going the stand alone route eventually.
Old Dec 27, 2005 | 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

not to knock anyone that has a utec but be sure to contact Al from Dynoflash and ask him about the utec. He considers it the last choice for evo tuning. At the seattle tune, he advised all the cars I know of that were running utec to remove it and see if they liked it better. After his tune without utec, I dont know of anyone that went back. I spoke with one of the guys recently and he said removing the utec and letting Al custom tune the car was the best thing he ever did to his evo.

My custom tune was amazing without utec. Just my .02.
Old Dec 31, 2005 | 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Abicus
not to knock anyone that has a utec but be sure to contact Al from Dynoflash and ask him about the utec. He considers it the last choice for evo tuning. At the seattle tune, he advised all the cars I know of that were running utec to remove it and see if they liked it better. After his tune without utec, I dont know of anyone that went back. I spoke with one of the guys recently and he said removing the utec and letting Al custom tune the car was the best thing he ever did to his evo.

My custom tune was amazing without utec. Just my .02.

I personally think that Al has more vested interest in selling his custom tune than working with the UTEC. I have been cars with his tune and granted the driveability is great, you cannot make any adjustments on the fly if you decide to add a new mod. You would have to send it in to him to have it reflashed. Also, with a distant reflash, would you be able to trust it considering all cars has it variances? I personally am running the UTEC and havent had any problems. If there is a chance I will take you for a ride in my car. There is no noticeable difference from stock but I am running cams, bigger turbo and almost every bolt on available, yet stock drivability is still there. I tune all my own cars.

There is a old saying, the "Tools are only as good as the user". Basically, the tune is only as good as the tuner. Granted Al is good with his dynoflash, he probably isnt that good at the UTEC? Why, because he sells Dynoflash and not the UTEC.

Alfred
Old Dec 31, 2005 | 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

lots of subaru folks use utec with their flashes. like ecutek for the base 92 tune, and use the multiple maps on utec for diffrent fuels.

i had utec for while and went to ecutek. i was going to use the utec for other maps so i sold it.
Old Dec 31, 2005 | 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

You can get a flash on the stock ECU and still use the UTEC for other MAPS right?
Old Dec 31, 2005 | 11:51 PM

I am not sure about that but it is a good question...hopefully someone can answer that.
Old Jan 1, 2006 | 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by haze1995
You can get a flash on the stock ECU and still use the UTEC for other MAPS right?

Yes you can, but what would be the point if you can tune everything with the UTEC.

Alfred
Old Jan 1, 2006 | 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I think the point is if the individual isn't good enough to tune himself for the pump gas tune and wants to be able to switch maps for race fuel. I think the UTEC is way too expensive to only use as a map-switcher on top of a flash. I use my $100 SAFC for this purpose, but no way would I waste money on a UTEC to do this.

So, I think those with UTEC should just use the UTEC with self-tuning for all maps, but if a UTEC owner gets a flash, they should then sell the UTEC to re-coup losses. JMO...
Old Jan 1, 2006 | 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input everyone. Thanks Warrtalon for taking it easy on me, lol.