Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Another Speedware horror

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Speedware horror story

A month ago my car met a curb in a wet slide. The right rear wheel impacted. It bent the upper and lower control arms. I took it to queen city auto rebuild, and they subleted the work out to Speedware.

Speedware had my car for two weeks until it was even finished. It's not rocket science bolting new pieces back up, and they had the parts a week before it was done at least.

So I get my car back, and notice a thumping sound coming from the rear when I tap the brakes. I can tell its suspension related. Just now on my lunchbreak I dropped by a friends shop in redmond and put it up on the lift. The front mount of the rear lower control arm had the bolt backed halfway out. They had assured Queen City that it was safe to drive before I picked up, when it appears they didn't even test drive it.

I would like to personally thank Speedwares incompetence and total disregard for quality control, which could have led to me sending my evo into whatever happened to be on my left side if I had continued to drive it and let the bolt back out all the way.

They had aligned my evo a few months prior, and they couldn't even get the steering wheel to sit straight. How can anyone even trust them to work on their Porsches? Don't they tout their ability for race car alignments?

They also incorrectly installed the right rear wheel bearing.

I wholeheartedly recommend that you, or anyone you know never take your car there. Remember the story of one of their techs messing with an evo's boost controller and popping the headgasket? Their gross negligence can't give me any reason to ever trust their shop again.

Last edited by Towelie; Jun 15, 2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, sounds like a horrible place. At least you caught it in time!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
No kidding, they apparently dont know their @$s from a hole in the ground. How hard is it to make sure that a freaking bolt is tightened correctly?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:37 PM

Yet another Speedware victim. I'm sorry it happened to you as it has to countless others. I've never figured out the Speedware mystique. They tout themselves as experts in race prep, custom fabrication, etc., but yet seem totally incapable of doing even basic repairs.

If you still need help w/ your Evo, I'd contact Byron Tate at Tru-Line in Bellevue.

I also wave the "stay away from Speedware" flag quite proudly.

Good Luck!

-Gary
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:42 PM

Make sure to file with the BB
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:52 PM

I have never liked Speedware, but I was unaware Queen City sublets their suspension work there. By the time I heard they had already dissassembled it.

My friends shop is doing the correct repairs, and Queen City is making Speedware pay for it, as well as an alignment at Omni so all should be good.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

God Damnnitt My ***** Is Stuck In My Computer

Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow has anyone reported it to the BBB?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

That ****ty man, would hate to see someone who doesnt know anything about cars pick up your car and get into an accident because speedware didnt do the job right. Lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:18 PM

I tried to look them up on BBB, and no such luck. They must be small time. You could always let the attorny general know.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Airpoppoff
God Damnnitt My ***** Is Stuck In My Computer

Keepin da nutz snug?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry but this is par for the course at the vast majority of automotive shops. It seems good auto service is so rare to be nearly non-existant...and since the public is largely unaware of how auto-repairs are, they tend to recommend places on how nice the people are that work there...which normally equates to how well they are at BSing their customers...
Old Jun 15, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by machron1
they tend to recommend places on how nice the people are that work there...which normally equates to how well they are at BSing their customers...
A truer statement Ive never heard. And apparently this company has pros that are able to convince customers of that. I was talking to a friend about dental work. My dentist was courteous, but got the job done correctly. His dentist was overly polite, and talked his ear off. When they were done cleaning his teeth, he went to look at them, and noticed they missed a few spots. He still left without saying anything, and I asked him why? He said because they were "nice".

Towelie, I seriously hope that you have some sort of legal action that you are going to pursue on Speedware. This was a serious mistake on their behalf. They should be putting in the same amount of care and attention to detail that they do in other cars. The nature of their mistake could have resulted in serious injury to yourself, or others. There is no excuse for this.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Sorry but this is par for the course at the vast majority of automotive shops. It seems good auto service is so rare to be nearly non-existant...and since the public is largely unaware of how auto-repairs are, they tend to recommend places on how nice the people are that work there...which normally equates to how well they are at BSing their customers...
So true they are far and few inbetween. I only know of a few I will take my cars too.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:58 PM

Thumbs down

that sucks man. I can honestly say, i've had good encounters with them personaly and they've already treated us good.

but............ we only buy parts and safety equipment from them. we do all of our own installs.

I'd just hate to blame other people for messing up my car, which is exactly why we do all of our own installs.

also, installing a rear wheel bearing in an evo isn't brain surgery. it should have been done right the first time.

Quick Reply: Another Speedware horror