Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

where to find modification laws in WA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:10 PM
Pocket Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Challenge the ticket if you can prove that you're under the 95db limit. Why? Because if you look up the RCW, that's what comes up. You can't expect to enforce a RCW that's not even published.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Good idea/arguement I didnt think about that, it may work...to bad its in a county thats in the middle of no where. Thanks for the input.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Actually we do have such facilities that do free inspections. One way to bypass this whole exhaust issue is to go to an inspection facility and get a certificate which states that the exhaust is legal.
any leads on where to find such a facility? might be time well spent, especially if it's free.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Effin police. Take it to court anyways, or pay an attorney. Check out www.speedinginseattle.com

Im using them right now for a recent seatbelt ticket. I always wear my friggin seatbelt, just the single time I was in a hurry and didnt put it on I get popped. I figure if I can get out of an HOV violation I can get out of a seatbelt ticket.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
Actually we do have such facilities that do free inspections. One way to bypass this whole exhaust issue is to go to an inspection facility and get a certificate which states that the exhaust is legal. It even states in the RCW: "which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection so that the vehicle's exhaust noise exceeds ninety-five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May, 1998). It is not a violation of this subsection unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety-five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard." As long as the noise amplification is NOT in excess of 95db, it's not in violation of this code. Read the fine print, anything <95db is legal in the State of Washington.
Oh, cool, i didn't know that. But i do know that you can just pay the ticket and be on your way here in WA, which is not the case in CA.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

anyone know if this will affect a defferal? I am on a defferal right now and if this messes it up I am going to be Pissed
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06evofiji
Jdnourse:
Andysoo8284:
This used to be true, things have chnaged in the last 3 months according to the cop(s) that pulled me over, they said it was causing confussion and revised the RCW. so this arguement is void now...
Actually that RCW he posted is updated, the law back in 00 said your car could not be louder than stock. When my friend Matt ended up getting legislators to change the law it talked about 95db first, then oem exhaust sound levels. This is a revision.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:44 AM
Pocket Mo

Bad news guys, seems that officer was right. I just checked the code books again and it seems they've updated their codes:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

Simply put, if the new exhaust is louder than stock, it's a ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But how do they prove what your cars sound stock ?? Do they know what your car sound level was stock?? Look at all the other cars and trucks you hear running louder exhausts. Tons of trucks. I've been pulled over 3 times so far and never have they mentioned my exhaust. Lucky I guess maybe. I'm running a Greddy also !
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Issue: License Plates
Bill: HB 3189
Description: Allows vehicle owners to pay a fee of $75 to exempt vehicle from front license plate requirements.
Author: Representative Strows
Intro Date: 23-Jan-06
Bill Type: One Year Bill

Link : http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=61869[/QUOTE]

Join these guys and tell them about the exhaust rules. They WILL fight it. Plus you will get emails about new laws. Really good info.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Value thanks for the heads up that is a good site. Also i knew the cop was right it just upsets me that I had it donewhen it was legal and now its illegal and i have to chnage my car to me NEW regulations...thats what i am most pissed about.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Here's another good one. A cop on my street just bought a WRX and always asks me for help tuning. And of course he got a exhaust.