Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

where to find modification laws in WA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to find modification laws in WA?

Where can you find what is a legal and illegal modification in washington state? A buddy just got 2 non-stock exhaust tickets and an illegal tint within 3 days. Just want to protect both of us and see if there is any legality to what happened to him.
His modifications were a 3.5" beuscher tbe and an arrow muffler. And the mitsubishi factory tint.

Thanks for your help guys.
AJ
Old Sep 20, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Try looking on SEMA's website, they have some helpful leads on dealing with things like that. Also, the ticket should state what particular entry of WA state motor vehicle law you supposedly violated. Take that code to a public library and ask the librarian to look up that particular law (all public libraries should carry WA state legal code documentation). Many times, the cop will not write down the correct number code (or none at all), if that's the case the judge will have to throw out the ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:28 PM

I did a bunch of searching and found that the old exhaust law said that you could modify the exhaust as long as it was under 95 decibles. The new one says you cant make the car any louder than stock.

For the tint its legal to have 35% tint plus or minus 3%.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you find a good link post it
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help AJ. The cops have just been dicks lately! I have been doing the speed limit and being a good driver and they have still been f ing with me.

So here is what the cop(s) told me....modified is illegal no matter what now they just (2 months ago) took out the 95 d. readings and are opperating under any modifications is illegal. There is no "grandfathered in" clause. But he did say that as long as it looks oem and sounds close to oem (not enough to grab attention) they wont mess w/ you ans wont examine it. Apparently my car is attention getting, so all evos probably will be as well so...

For the record I have a HPF 3.5 inch, perrin DP and Pro 1 header...
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Doesnt have the specific info your looking for but there is an email address at the bottom you can send your questions to. http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/cvd/pasequip.htm

BTW, this seems to be a hot topic on a bunch of other forums as well.

Last edited by haze1995; Sep 20, 2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

great...more excuses for the cops to pull us over, i might have to put my front tabs back on
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by edison
great...more excuses for the cops to pull us over, i might have to put my front tabs back on
Always had mine on...can't give them any stupid excuse to pull me over . Still glad my exhaust can kinda hides behind the bumper and doesn't hang down too low (and is relatively quiet).
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:33 PM

RCW (Revised Code of Washington) 46.37.390

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection so that the vehicle's exhaust noise exceeds ninety-five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May, 1998). It is not a violation of this subsection unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety-five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

Go here (RCW vehicle code section 46): http://www.mrsc.org/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=legpage.htm$vid=rcwwac: leg
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by codgi
Always had mine on...can't give them any stupid excuse to pull me over . Still glad my exhaust can kinda hides behind the bumper and doesn't hang down too low (and is relatively quiet).

the ings bumper dont have any pre drilled holes and im not about to do so, might put it on the grille or something
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:51 AM

Most of us run EVO's with equipment that violates Washington State Law. You can be sighted for these violations, but depending on the circumstances of your contact you may slide with a warning. Best advise I could give, is to be curtious and respectfull if you get stopped. Some tickets are cut and dry (like no front plate) Most opt to go without, but thats a $101 gamble. You have the right to contest any ticket, so take advantage of that if you don't think the violation you were written for is correct. Argue in court, not on the stop. Whatever you do, don't ignore the ticket. If you fail to respond, or fail to appear for you hearing, your license will be suspended. Driving with a Suspended license is an arrestable affense and will cause you many more problems down the raod.
Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:18 AM

+1^^^
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

My $.02 is that Washington state doesn't have laws like Cali where if you get cited for modifications you have to get them returned to stock and verified by a specific gov. facility before you can drive the car again. We don't have such facilities or laws in WA state, so to me a $101 ticket every now and then is well worth the power and styling. I could care less, i would much rather have my windows tinted and get a $101 ticket once a year then have people stare at me every time im at a light because i have a weird car...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:52 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by KOEvo
My $.02 is that Washington state doesn't have laws like Cali where if you get cited for modifications you have to get them returned to stock and verified by a specific gov. facility before you can drive the car again. We don't have such facilities or laws in WA state, so to me a $101 ticket every now and then is well worth the power and styling. I could care less, i would much rather have my windows tinted and get a $101 ticket once a year then have people stare at me every time im at a light because i have a weird car...
Actually we do have such facilities that do free inspections. One way to bypass this whole exhaust issue is to go to an inspection facility and get a certificate which states that the exhaust is legal. It even states in the RCW: "which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection so that the vehicle's exhaust noise exceeds ninety-five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May, 1998). It is not a violation of this subsection unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety-five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard." As long as the noise amplification is NOT in excess of 95db, it's not in violation of this code. Read the fine print, anything <95db is legal in the State of Washington.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Jdnourse:
Well I have been nice to the cops, I am never a dick or disrespectful in anyway, these two cops just came up got my info and wrote the ticket, no chance to talk or explain, just the way it is i guess.
KOevo:
I usually agree with you one ticket every now and then is ok with me to but 3 in a matter orf 3 days...f ing not fair. If i was out acting like a jack *** and speeding and reving my motor i would expect it but i have been responsible and following the speed limit so...I am just really pissed off sorry for RAGING on here

Andysoo8284:
This used to be true, things have chnaged in the last 3 months according to the cop(s) that pulled me over, they said it was causing confussion and revised the RCW. so this arguement is void now...

Quick Reply: where to find modification laws in WA?