Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Warning to those on Ft Lewis

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning to those on Ft Lewis

This morning I was headed out the main gate, following a GSA for practice of tomarrows funeral detail. A MP followed me from around the PX out the front gate then pulled me over. First I thought, typical "no front liscense plate" or "You were going 20mph in a 15mph zone" or some crap you'd expect.. wrong.
I flashed down the GSA and they pulled over. The MP got out of his car behind my vechicle and yelled at the SFC incharge of the detail when he got out of the GSA to get back inside. Well he didn't listen to that.. he asked what the problem was because we were already about to be late to the detail.

MP said, "Aftermarket exhausts are illegal, by washington state law you are required to only use factory exhausts." I literally asked him "WTF?! Are you gonna pull over half the post then?" Ya that pissed him off alright, I also called bull**** on his little "against the law" I told him this isn't California. The SFC was trying to get me to knock it off.. eventually I shrugged and said "Ok sure.. roger" so we could get going.. well I didn't get a ticket but he said "Next time I see you, you're getting a ticket if you still have that exhaust." I wonder if he would be pulling over mustangs with their flowmasters or oversized trucks and their cherry bomb exhausts? Incase you're wondering, he didn't mention anything about emissions or sound volume of the car.

Anyway, once I got back on post, hours later.. I got tailed again. Probably the same jackarse. Pulling into housing he followed me again, I pulled off to the side of the road, got out and pretended to be calling someone. He inched past me.. went down the street slow as hell.. at the end of the street he sat there for a good minute before turning around, and heading back. I pretended not even to notice him =P Then he sat at the other end of the road before turning towards the main street, where the light is.
I'm callin some serious anti import harassment on this one.. careful guys. I've never been harassed for my exhaust before, even when I been pulled over before, ever.

Last edited by Evogelion; Jun 29, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

I think it was the same guy that told me any aftermarket exhaust is illegal. He is a douche bag. I park right across the street of the MP station becuase of my new unit and blast my stero well I turn it down when they roll by. They don't say anything to me and I don't have front lisance plate. And there was a siliver Evo IX MR with an aftermarket exhaust parking in the same lot at the MP's. But I'll took up the RCW for exhaust for you seth. Plus give me a call if you need help on the stock stero thing

Kevin
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

RCW states any exhaust modification which amplifies the sound of the exhaust note beyond factory levels is illegal. so, technically, your annoying MP guy is right.

i still run buschur's catless bullet.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

RCW 46.37.390
Mufflers required — Smoke and air contaminant standards — Definitions — Penalty, exception.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

This is a Catch-22 cause the dealerships off aftermarket exhaust that makes your car sounds louder. But the word ampifly could go both ways I dunno...

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:47 AM
Account Disabled

MP's are gay....who the hell joins the military to arrest their own?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ so against the law on both counts. Oh well a lot of these things are up to the officer's discretion so even though according to the above he would be right it still seems he was doing some "profiling" if he only picks on you but lets other people get away with it.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

wow and I go on the base often, never had that problem
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

My exhaust isn't even "that" loud.. I can shove in the silencer if its such a big deal, god I hate Police.. I need one of those "Trunk Strippers" (tm) that pop out of your trunk and deal with the police for you so you won't get tickets..
Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:33 AM

Well this is what i owuld do if you still have your box from when you bought the exhaust it has the 50 states legal paper on there so just rub that in his face if its legal for the state they cant touch you. Plus mp cop or who ever can not follow you more than a mile if so that is harassment by law.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I can't do that with mine it's over the DB and I have no cat opps......
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:30 AM
Account Disabled

Oh boy I can wait to get to first group with my evo.....
Attached Thumbnails Warning to those on Ft Lewis-my-evo.jpg   Warning to those on Ft Lewis-my-evo-4.jpg  
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
JTG

I live in lakewood, just outside of Ft. Lewis and my Audi has a full custom exhaust all the way from the P&P'd Manifold, bi-hi-flow cats, 2- 3/4" down pipe, 2 silencers removed and full european remus exhaust and my audi is really muscular rumble and they dont give me any crap. That is messed up that you screwed with you. I agree the MP's have this idea that they are God and they are better then anyone.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

There has already been a thread about this. I got popped a month or so back for the same thing. The biggest problem is when the law was revised the decible level was left out, screwing everyone. The law clearly does not state a max sound level, so the 50 state legal garb is almost invalid. Espelir exhaust comes with a document stating that their product is not a modified exhaust, but simply a direct replacement. I am gonna try to use this against them, but I am stuck running the silencer for now.

But the harassment thing is inevitable. We drive import cars and are always gonna get the short end. I would think that the exhaust law should be a secondary offense and shouldn't be cause to pull you over, kinda like seatbelts used to be. I just think the police have much better things to do. But, Bonney Lake has a couple of shiny new Dodge Chargers that I'm sure need paying for.

Cops are the gay!!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 09:32 AM

This guy has just got to be a hater......they have never pulled over any of the three terminators on post with o/r x pipes!!!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

MP must be a Domestic owner.

Quick Reply: Warning to those on Ft Lewis