Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Pina motorsports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pina motorsports

Hey guys!
Recently last weekend (7-1-06) we have Dyno day..
I have amazed how Andre got someone Tuner with basic experience Tuner.
But Phillip did Amazed Reflash from 246hp to 270hp without Boost controller..
im very happy with it.
I feel like want thank Andre for Work his *** off with our evos on Dyno and Spend times with us thanks!!!

Also they found out Javier Evo had Cams set up (cosworth Cams 272s and springs and retainer)
they found out Javier car running bad, it have same map on Low and High octane, some how they Tweak and tuned it and it came out good!

Javier use the Chevron, 76s, Shell, Cenex 94 octane, or racing fuels.
It will better for ur car!
don’t use Am pm, Exxon, Costco, Safeway or cheap brands they make ur car running bad and make carbon build up...

Come tocheck out Andre shop for Dyno, Service or stuff. they do A lot DSM and Evos
http://www.pinamotorsports.com/

Im happy with 270hp without Boost contoller.. but i didnt beat carlos lol!
i beat Jon (HKSEVOIX) and Clark (Clarkkent)

Last edited by hanahawaiian; Jul 3, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't realize so many evos were going to show up, I called andre from the airport when I got in at 930am and no one was there so I just went home instead of stopping by to check things out.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Why do all the good shops have to be a 1hr-4hr commute from Mukilteo
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

it about 1 and 30 min from Mukilteo.. my buddy live there.. I drove 2 hours from Puyallup/ Spanaway
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

That depends on what time you leave. I've had drives from Everett to Tacoma that took over 2hrs because of morning rush.

Having something installed at, say, Axiom, turns into a day-trip because of traffic

Makes it pretty crappy when the only day you can afford to take the time for the drive is Saturday, which isn't even guaranteed to be a day of operation for some places.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Axiom in Lakewood, Illtech auto in Tacoma (downtown), World one performance in Kent, Pina motorsports in Kent, Intec Racing in Kent, Kansai Motorsports in Seattle, Kitos auto sports in Seattle, Speedware in Redmond, alot shops in north but i dont remember..
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
Andre's quote
The other thing: On Javier's car. I cant believe that world one would charge $150 to flash someone's ecru with map that are not even tuned for their car. Javier's low and high octane map were IDENTICAL! When we saw a knock on his first pull, we tried to eliminate the knock by going richer or leaner and it didn't make a difference. Only after realizing that the low and high octane map are the same did we find a cure for his problem. The low octane map is the map that the ecu goes back to in case of a knock event. When the low octane map is the same as the high octane map, then it is not helping to getting rid of the knock, only to make it more severe! We managed to keep his knock under control by taking out some timing and adding some fuel on his low octane map. In the end though, his bad gas situation doesn't help him to get as clean as a result as expected. He really needs to start buying quality Chevron 92 octane gas instead the cheapest thing available from just any pump. There is a difference between the brand and you do get what you paid for.
After this quote from Andre here I would advise that he looks more into how the evo ECU works. If you make the correct changes to the high octane map the car won't knock enough to get into the low octane map. Either that or he was editing the wrong maps.

Having the maps the same is bad in the bad gas case as he says above but if he's making changes to the high octane map and it makes no effect at all on the car something is wrong.

I've heard JB say the same thing about gas too...but I don't know because I pretty much only put Shell 92 in mine so...

Last edited by codgi; Jul 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

acutally he didnt say much on it. but i know what going on. but i dont know how to say it.. but Tuner and Andre work their *** off on Javiar evo. finally got running better than last times. Andres had AEM EMS tuner he know.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get knock it will pull timing no matter what eather map is. Its when the oct flag starts going down that the ECU will start to split the maps. Meaning alot of knock over a long time. Alot of tuners do set the low and High oct maps the same. ( I don't) Just pulling 1deg of timing out on the map can take over 5cts of knock away. From what I see dropping the boost or pulling some timing gets rid way more knock than making it richer. I allways shoot for a 11.0afrs on pump.

Very glad Andre made things right from the last dyno day.

Last edited by Lucas English; Jul 2, 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Also the IX have 3 timing maps with each having high and low oct in each of the 3.

1 is for cold I guess never have messed with it

2 is the power map ware most tuners make there changes

3 is the default map I guess if you have so much knock it tosses a light for it. Never have played with it eather.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lucas English
If you get knock it will pull timing no matter what eather map is. Its when the oct flag starts going down that the ECU will start to split the maps. Meaning alot of knock over a long time. Alot of tuners do set the low and High oct maps the same. ( I don't) Just pulling 1deg of timing out on the map can take over 5cts of knock away. From what I see dropping the boost or pulling some timing gets rid way more knock that making it richer. I allways shoot for a 11.0afrs on pump.

Very glad Andre made things right from the last dyno day.
Yep that's how i went about fixing my old DF map. Anyway I supppose once the car is running ok now thats all that matters...either you or JB should take a look at the final map thats on the car though just to make sure it looks crisp .
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lucas English
Also the IX have 3 timing maps with each having high and low oct in each of the 3.

1 is for cold I guess never have messed with it

2 is the power map ware most tuners make there changes

3 is the default map I guess if you have so much knock it tosses a light for it. Never have played with it eather.
I think 3 is the "limp" mode map...but I don't have an IX to mess with.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Forgot to say congrats on the numbers Chris .
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Also the stock ECU leaves quite a lot of margin for error with the tune. The extra 10-20hp most of you guys are look for really takes any margin of Error out for things like bad gas, tuned on a 60deg day and not change anything for a 100deg day.

Every car I did on his dyno with only 4 pull pulls allowed.... I backed up on the street to make sure things were right. The only car I saw knock on that day was a red IX RS that probably has a boost leak going on.

Also there were some comments how all I was doing was load maps. Well every car was about the same with just small bolt on things done. (all stock turbos and injectors) So of course all the maps are about the same.

My plan of attack that day knowing I only had 4 pulls was

1. base pull
2. copy paste my good timing, fuel , Mevic map based off of JB with some of my changes (Bit richer and a bit less timing)
3. Small adj with boost timing or Fuel
4. Same
5. back up with street pull

Most of the cars were almost dead on with 0-2cts in some spots with my base flash. Some had 0 knock and those are the ones I know could have made a tad more power but just not enough time to find it.

On all the car I did I only copy and pasted my maps into the high oct sec so if thay had a flash form someone else prev I did not even looking into there low oct stuff. If you know the stock ECU not that big of a deal anyway.

The reason I don't like loading whole flashes in is. Possible problems with Imb code and causing problems the car may have never had before. Like miss fire codes and stuff like that.

So probably the reason the low oct map adj did anything was the oct flag was down from knock and you were running the split of the maps. now that the knock is gone the ECU will start raising the oct flag back up and it will start runing off the high map again causing the knock to come back.

That is also why some tuners will set the maps the same is so you can just tune it and not have a 2nd map that is always changing mess with your tuning.

Last edited by Lucas English; Jul 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I understand how the splitting of the maps work, but I am pretty sure the oct flag is stored in that part of memory that is cleared when a flash is done. So when the new flash is put in that flag should reset to 100 anyway.

I don't log that flag but a simple test would be the next time you do a base pull with a bad car log it the flag when its low, flash and then check the flag again immediately on restart. If it still has the low value then flashing doesn't blow it out...if it goes to 100 (pretty sure it will), then the old oct flag has been blown out.

So the only way that it should get low enough to start splitting, then fully migrate to the low octane map is if the new flash doesn't correctly fix the high octane map. Of course its quite possible that the first "tuner" didn't fully make their changes to all the high octane map (i.e just tuned some areas where they believed it was going to hit) so it got knocked into the low octane map, where when they made the changes it recovered as you said and then bounced back up to a part of the high octane map which was still relatively safe (i.e that they hadn't touched to begin with).

Either way as I said before I think someone whos more experienced with the Evo ECu (such as JB/yourself) should take a final look at the map that's in his car now.

Last edited by codgi; Jul 3, 2007 at 01:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Pina motorsports