Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Fighting an Exhaut Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007 | 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mirage4g93
HA! $55 bucks. Try $134

You live in New York. kinda far from Washington State
no matter the price its the principal, the principality
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Lol...I was pulled over twice this summer for my exhaust. Just got warnings though.
Neither one seemed to want to have an intellectual conversation about how exactly stupid the law was.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by max2evoix
+1..just pay the ticket man...everyone here knows that aftermarket exhausts are illegal anyway...gotta pay to play

Its people that do just pay it that give the police more reasoning to pull you over and make it harder for organizations that actually support us to make headway in fixing the laws.

Sorry I'm not going to justify a law that has no relevence to my ability to travel safely from point A to point B.

JJ, its funny cause this guy didn't either. He just walked away as he was answering my question. Didn't even let me sign the ticket. Just wrote "Copy to Driver" in my signature box.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mirage4g93
HA! $55 bucks. Try $134

You live in New York. kinda far from Washington State
that sux
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

These things are always subject to the rules of the state they happen in, since not every state's vehicle codes are the same. Comparisons won't be very useful.

With that said, unless you can specifically point to some explicit error the cop made in applying the codes of your locality, then it's not worth fighting, unless you're willing to risk loss of time, court costs, etc. on the chance the cop won't show for court, etc. You're trying to inject common sense into the equation, and sadly common sense plays no part in the creation or enforcement of the codes, or in the courts that will interpret them. Good luck.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

what you need to do is find out if your exhaust has the little 50 state legal stamp of approval. if it does there is your sound test right there and if you read the RCW it says modified exhaust, if your exhaust is straight from a company than its not modified. but the catch side is that alot of aftermarket exhaust are now stamp for off road use only.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

You can try saying that your didn't modified it but repleace the whole exhaust.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

um this is NW reg.. i dont understand how other state want chime in and trash in NW reglious
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

next time shift to a longer gear... reduces noise... well for me... thats what I do
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

It is pointless to argue the cop because they are simply enforcers of the law, no matter how ridiculous their explanation may be. Fight it in court and win it so that next time you get pulled over for something like this, you have proof from the trial to defend yourself with.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

lol 290 for my exhaust ticket going to fight it! dotn now wat im going to say yet!
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 05:45 PM
Pocket Mo

The new WA RCW does state any aftermarket exhaust cannot be louder than the stock one. It does help if you know someone with the same car as you with a stock exhaust so you can get a sound output reading. Do the same with yours and if your's is louder, there's no point in contesting the ticket.

This is why you do what I did; get a WORKS IP and Stealth muffler. Even if cops think my car's loud, I can just point and say "Officer, this is the exhaust that came from the factory. I'll bring a letter with me to court from the dealership verifying it is a stock exhaust." Granted I do work at a dealership so it may be easier in my case.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 05:58 PM

Think thats funny, i got pulled over for the Works exhaust that i bought with the car...at the dealership...
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

OK people I dont have an Evo lol, so 5th gear is high gear and options like Works parts are not available.
Old Oct 27, 2007 | 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

haha! i have one good joke..

I do have loud exhaust without cat.. Turboback.. Cop pulled me over once. and he walked around.. and speakin to me.. I say whoa officer.. you talk too fast.. me deaf..

officer say oh im sorry, pulled notepad out and write say "do u know that your exhaust loud?" i say it loud? i barely to hear it? i been sreach for loudder... officer laughs and he say he like me and let me go.. he say your silly deaf man ever i met..

then after i pulled over when i put on after 1 weeks.. then now it been 9 months and havent got pulled over

Quick Reply: Fighting an Exhaut Ticket