Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Fighting an Exhaut Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007 | 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

There is no magic to fighting this ticket. You've broken a law, a stupid law that made it through by mistake. Well, the part about the no louder than factory part. If you have a certificate that comes with it, take that with you. If the judge is feeling nice, he may let you go. Thats how I got mine dropped.

The fact of the matter is the law is very subjective. Is the officer an automobile expert? Whats the factory decibel rating? Do they have a meter in their car? Its all up to the officer.

This is about the third or fourth thread I have seen on this matter. The harsh truth is its not gonna get any better til someone does something, other than venting from their keyboard about how stupid this law really is. Start contacting lawyers, find out how to vote a change in the law. Inform people of this. Thats how it passed in the first place, no one pays attention to small things until its a big thing. I bet if people knew they were voting to save their *** from getting a chicken sh*t ticket for their exhaust, they may vote.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 04:08 PM

Anyone know what the law is in Oregon? Seems like everyone in the PNW forum is from WA. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I'd have my attorney fight it. It's BS. I got pulled over in Auburn for having a "modified exhaust". The guy let me go but it was still a pain in the ***. We have to fight it if possible.
Old Feb 28, 2008 | 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have had 4 of these tickets, and fought everyone, and guess how many i lost? 4. your going to lose, its just a waste of time.

no doubt its a terrible law.
Old Feb 29, 2008 | 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saev
Just because the cop doesn't know the out's of an exhaust doesn't make them any more legal.

The RCW does state that any modification to the exhaust that amplifies the sound above factory level is illegal.

How many raised trucks and muscle cars you seen been pulled over for this?
Old Feb 29, 2008 | 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

this court case is gonna go down in history and change exhaust laws all around the nation

state of Washington vs. Mirage4g93
Old Mar 4, 2008 | 03:15 AM

No... I have to disagree with a lot of you. The law said, you can not modify the OEM exhaust. No where in there said you can not replace it. If it is a replacement for any reason and the police did not measure the noise level (which they won't), as long as you can prove that it is a replacement without modification, you can fight it. Its all about how you word and twice the words in court my friend. I have seen worst in court that got away clean.
Old Mar 4, 2008 | 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yea attornies usually get you out of crap like this. I got out of an HOV violation one time because they didn't fax some paperwork in on time or some BS like that. It's all in the details...