Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

its fnally that time... Engine rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its fnally that time... Engine rebuild!

So, long story short, I got my Evo paid off not long ago and have been waiting for it to break... (you know when they say the minute you pay it off it will break)...

So, I throw a rod the other day and that's why I have not been showing up on meets and all that goodness... good thing is I made a lot of good events this summer and met a few good people... and now I have all winter to build this engine...

Here is the thing, I have not done too many research on engine internal parts for this car, due to my baby due date near by and lack of research time, I am asking the best internet researcher from the NW to help me out.

In todays market, when it comes to 4G63 pistons and rods, who rings supereme? I know cosworth is on the top of the list and so are their prices... So the question I have here is, what would you do to your engine internal if you have to rebuild and have a butget of $3000+/- (for part only)?

Last edited by outlaws69; Oct 31, 2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

oh no, someone help this guy out! make sure he does a generic build so that when i build my motor it will be beter!!! lol. thats awsome you paid off the evo, congrats man. hey i got the subby back, but it still needs some serious work. well anyways good luck on the build and i guess i will talk to you in 7 months.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I know a popular mid budget setup is the Ross pistons and Eagle rods. With your typical clevite bearing and ARP hardware. IIRC Paul ran that setup with his PT67 setup...I am not 100% sure on that though. Anyways its a fairly good route if you dont plan on insane horsepower. I believe AMS likes this setup...I think they even sell that specific setup with there Ross pistons. Hope that helps some...
Old Nov 1, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Well I know a popular mid budget setup is the Ross pistons and Eagle rods. With your typical clevite bearing and ARP hardware. IIRC Paul ran that setup with his PT67 setup...I am not 100% sure on that though. Anyways its a fairly good route if you dont plan on insane horsepower. I believe AMS likes this setup...I think they even sell that specific setup with there Ross pistons. Hope that helps some...
Thats an option... anyone want to second that set up or have better ideas...
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
Pocket Mo

I second db's list. JE Pistons are pretty good as well if you want a different flavor than Ross. Eagle rods are the only rods I put in to built motors; I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

2nd that
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ive been liking the ARIAS Pistons much more. The attention to detail on them is much better than the Ross. Eagle rods will be fine for what you are doing. PM me we have some tricks to help keep the motor doing good for ya
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Ive been liking the ARIAS Pistons much more. The attention to detail on them is much better than the Ross. Eagle rods will be fine for what you are doing. PM me we have some tricks to help keep the motor doing good for ya
what do you mean by for what I am doing? Does that mean a low power tolenrance?? Or for street performance? I am not understanding this?

I second db's list. JE Pistons are pretty good as well if you want a different flavor than Ross. Eagle rods are the only rods I put in to built motors; I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
Andy, so you like the Eagle rods as well, Why?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:44 AM

So here is a list of what I have in mind.

Brian Crower EVO Pro Series Connecting Rods
Brian Crower EVO CP Shelf Pistons
ARP EVO Head Studs
Cosworth EVO High Performance Multi Layer Head Gaskets
Brian Crower EVO Stainless Steel Valves +1mm

Plus machines work... would that be a OK set up, or the ross+eagle is still better? Please reply with reasons?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I don't know how high you plan to go but I know the Eagle rods and Ross pistons are good well over 600whp. There is an article in Modified mag I believe that had AMS put this in there evo and they have like 200 some dyno runs and many drag passes on a 700hp setup. But I would def. get ahold of Paul or Lucas because they have alot of experience...I would expect Arias to be very good too like Paul said. Not sure about the BC stuff but I am sure its good.

Edit: One other thing I forgot was the megazine evo did have the head o-ringed to help since they were going to be running 40lbs or more boost. That may or may not be something to have done also just for extra insurance if you plan on a big turbo.

Last edited by dbsears; Nov 2, 2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have been in the engine build process like yours since may. I have acidently spent well over 3k easily. That is very easy to do if you are not watching every part you buy. Best of luck to you!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 02:49 AM
Pocket Mo

I just like the Eagle rods because of my experience with them. I have yet to have one fail and they've taken boost like a champ (30+ psi).

Paul would definitely know some crazy combos for high HP levels; the man is sexy when it comes to the Evo.

Also, no need for a super fancy headgasket. The stock one is a multilayer gasket and it'll work just fine.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

CHEWY!! dont forget me! i wanna come and hang out and learn built EVO 4g63 motor.. beacsue im going do full built 2.0 and rebuilt Tranny too
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
CHEWY!! dont forget me! i wanna come and hang out and learn built EVO 4g63 motor.. beacsue im going do full built 2.0 and rebuilt Tranny too

I got you on speed dial Chris... I have to go away for a little bit, when I come back, I will call you up... there is nothing to learn in tear down, so I will let you know when I start putting it back together.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

yeah yeah. but i can give you hands.. and ill get beers

Quick Reply: its fnally that time... Engine rebuild!