Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Car Broken into at dealer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was that your white Evo down there missing the trunk? I had my oil changed there on Tuesday, and saw a white Evo inside missing the trunk lid. Was thinking to myself, why in the heck would the dealer take that off for working on a car...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Markley02
Finally some truth in this thread. lol.

For everyone that thinks the dealer is responsible here is something for you to know about. My M3 was being worked on the a BMW dealer in Allentown, PA (Daniel's BMW). When I walked into the place it seemed very nice. I had all of my audio equipment (DVD player, NAV, etc.) stolen out of the car when it was at the dealership to have a new watervalve installed. The car would not go past 5000 RPMs and idled at 1500 RPMs. The HVAC unit would not even turn on. Plus the car would overheat because the front fan was missing.

When I walked back in, found the manager and told him it was missing this is what he said, "So.... what do you want me to do?". I called the police instantly. The police would not even write a police report!!!!! The dealer said that because the car was not on their cameras 24 hours a day they were not liable for what happened to my car. Guess what happened in court after I paid court fees, lawyer fees, and went through all of it. The dealer got off and I got it up the you know what with no lube.

Oh yea, BTW.... When I got to the dealer to pick up my car it took them 40 minutes to even find my keys. Because they were sitting in someone's desk and not where they should have been.

I have several horror stories about multiple dealers including theft and damage.
No offense, but your lawyer sucked. My parents had their aftermarket headunit stolen out of their mercedes, at the dealership. They broke the passenger window. Called a family friend that worked for a large firm...boom window replaced and money for the headunit in 3 weeks.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derangedazn
No offense, but your lawyer sucked. My parents had their aftermarket headunit stolen out of their mercedes, at the dealership. They broke the passenger window. Called a family friend that worked for a large firm...boom window replaced and money for the headunit in 3 weeks.
I think this boils down to a dealership wanted to maintain their reputation. A Mercedes dealership is much more likely to buy a head unit and replace a window to maintain their reputation and keep their customer loyal. However, it was still their call.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

*Update*

So I called my friend that is a lawyer and had her consult someone that knows more about auto law and what not. Here is some new information:

The owner of the mitsu. dealer in auburn has actually been to law school and has a local reputation as a total hard *** in court. The lawyer I talked to earlier today said he has had 11 cases against him in the last 8 months and he has taken every one of them to court. That said, he also ended up paying out in most of those cases.

Basically, the waver they may or may not have is not really pertinent as I have never signed anything or even been to the dealer in person. The car was dropped off on a flat bed to get their opinion on my transfer case (which I'm pretty sure is death whine) and to replace a few items that I've been meaning to get around to before I sell the car (exhaust gasket, oil filter housing leak etc). I had the work performed and was waiting for good chance to take a half day at work to go pick up my car, most likely have my friend with a truck and a flat bed help me get it home (the car is not insured due to not really being drivable with the T-case like it is).

I have not talked with the dealer since they called me, as I want to make sure I have a legal notice for them, showing I'm serious before I say anything that they might not like. I'm worried that with the car in the condition it is, they will just try and get it taken off the lot if they think I'm threatening legal action. Without any fuel computer (stolen) I cant even start it, so if it gets towed or *placed* else where I'm pretty screwed.

The lawyer I talked too said that businesses running a dealership for a large manufacturer such as Mitsubishi are required to have a certain level of liability coverage in case of fire/theft etc... Normally, the dealer should just file a police report (they did) and contact their insurance company and file a claim. However, he said it is not uncommon for the dealer to avoid having to involve their insurer to keep their rates from increasing.

I'll post more detailed info when I am more sure of it... hopefully things wont get any worse in the mean time.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:30 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

Good luck man.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Let us know man, set a nice precident for us.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Man I'm so glad I know this now. I just had some work done at a Mitsu Dealer hear in PA. I was worried about my car cuz I've never left it with anyone. The two technicians that worked there had Evo specific training and they were older guys which made me feel better.....not that age means anything. The service manager specifically told me that he does not leave his cars (customers to be worked on) out on the lot over night and pulled my car into the bay right away. All was well and I picked it up the next day.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

I saw that car today. that sucks man. the guys that stole that stuff were newbs though. i saw were they tryed to get in on the passanger side window, but broke the window to get in. I have a feeling they are gonna try to screw you over on this one.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like everyone else said. but your car is a;ways your responsibility; even if its being guarded by sharks with lasers on their heads. u couldn't park an evo on the arctic shelf without some hater in an F150 pulling up right next to it so they cam open their door and ding the quarter panel.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:39 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty messed up! Good Luck with the whole situation. I'm positive it will work out in your favor.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

sorry about your car. All dealership are bs.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

make sure that you know that they know that you know that you are PISSED about this whole situation..give them alot of attitude and hopefully everything will work out