Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Unhappy with Beaverton Mits.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008 | 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

You can talk them down man, its the way it works. Just look up KBB, and go in swinging. Dont forget to tell them you know me, and that I will put the hurt down on Mike if he isnt gentle I dont know the history on the previous evo's man, otherwise I would fill you in. I just talked to Mike and he promises to be the nicest dick you have ever talked too, so just call him. And dont worry about price, thats always negotiable.

Last edited by PDXEvo; Feb 22, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 10:31 AM

Beaverton's OK, but Royal Moore's not that great

Back in late 1996, I was mulling the purchase of either the Eagle Talon or the Mitsubishi Eclipse. I visited the Royal Moore dealership in Hillsboro, Oregon, which carried Jeep/Eagle and Subaru products. The salesman there wouldn't give me the time of day. I couldn't even get him to show me a Talon, let alone go for a test drive. I ended up buying an Eclipse GSX, brand new, unfinanced, for cash + trade in from Town & Country Mitsubishi in downtown Beaverton. Later, in 2005, I felt it was time for another change. This time, I was considering the Subaru STi vs the Evo IX. Because it had been such a long time, and because the Royal Moore guys were so conveniently close to my work, I decided to give them another look during a lunch break. This time the salesman actually took me out to the lot and showed me a parked STi. However, he refused to get the keys to open it so I could check out the interior (just look through the windows, you can see everything just fine!). And he wanted me to promise that I would buy the car if he let me test drive it! It was pouring cats and dogs at the time of my visit, but still, I don't think that was a good excuse for the salesman's behavior. I ended up visiting Beaverton Mitsubishi, which used to be Town & Country Mitsubishi. Before I could get halfway between my car and their front door, a salesman was with me, and I test drove somewhere around 4 or 5 Evo's that day. I came back a week later, test drove a couple more, and bought my Evo unfinanced, for cash + trade in. The salesman I dealt with loved Evo's and loved going out for test drives in them. His name is Chris Michaels, so if you go there, try to look him up (if he's still there). I don't know why some people here have had bad sales experiences at Beaverton Mitsubishi, maybe there are a few bad apples out there too, and they were unlucky enough to get one of them. But what I can say is that I've had bad salesperson encounters at Royal Moore in Hillsboro on the two occasions that I visited them, and the visits were spaced about 9 years apart. Both times I left their lot feeling insulted and embarrassed, like I was trying to buy something way beyond my means. I may have just been unlucky, but it's quite an amazing coincidence. Chris Michaels lives and breathes Evo's, and there's no way he would have told anyone that the '06 MR has a carbon fiber roof or any other such gaffe.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 06evofiji
Baby i'd love to but I cant get rid of my s4.
PM with the the details and such of the S4 and I wil talk with the dealer here to see what he might be able to work out... let me know
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 03:44 PM

Every price is negotiable, if it is a car that you really want then go in and work a deal. they might ask for all the money when selling a car, but then again wouldnt you? as far as the s4 goes, those are even smaller market cars. especially if they have alot of miles on them. beaverton mitsubishi seems to sell quite a few evos, and I never see a used one stay on that lot for a while so they must negotiate on them.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 07:21 PM

In case you didnt see already, Ron Tonkin has to 8's for sale, one blue and one black. I hear the name Tonkin everywhere. No personal exp. though. good luck. o ya, there posted on CL.
Old Feb 24, 2008 | 07:23 PM

I happen to know that the black one there has been flagged by mitsubishi, so no warranty. also tranny about is about to go out........
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well I bought the black evo from Ron Tonkin...the tranny felt preety good...but I didnt get on it, whats wrong with it?

If this is the case I guess I will see if I can take it back...is there a law in Oregon to cancel a deal before the 3 day mark?
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 08:53 AM

there is no 3 day rule in oregon, unless they did paperwork at your house. if you went into there dealership then you are stuck. that car is flagged by mitsubishi, so you wont be able to get any warranty work done, and the tranny may have a temporary fix on it, but will go out soon. mitsubishi will not cover that. I am not sure if I would want to buy a evolution from anyone but a mitsubishi dealership. they are the only ones that can give you the full history of the car, and warranty work.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Well the nice thing about my warranty is I can take the car into ANY shop with ASE cert. techs. So that includes some of the local performance/mitsu. shops.

What exactly is wrong with the tranny?
Did you know the guy that owned the car b4, did he have a bunch of mods on it?
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 09:11 AM

yes but no warranty work means that mitsubishi will not pay for any work done to the car... so unless tonkin or your performance shop wants to flip the bill then you will be on your own. I dont know the guy that owned the car, but have heard of the history and know the guy that took it in on trade. I am friends with some of the mitsubishi reps around here and have heard them talk about it. it may not be in the system just yet but will be soon.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 09:12 AM

and if you bought a aftermarket warranty it will not cover a car with mods, or mods done in the past.
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I understand what you are saying, but the way the warranty works, is Ron tonkin pays for the work...not mits. so it does cover most work! I verified and got it in writing they would cover the clutch/tranny so I think I am ok! and the car came with mods so tonkin said that was fine.

Thanks for all the help man!
Old Feb 25, 2008 | 09:39 AM

good luck with the car man, hope it proves to be a good one... here is how the warranty works for further knowledge... you take car into dealership that has a problem. they decide if it is a warranty issue or not, they front the bill for you and get the money from mitsu and you dont have to worry about it. however... if a car is flagged from mitsu because of the mods then mitsu will not cover the car. the biggest problem is even though you take a car into tonkin for service, they will send it right to a mitsu dealership if it is not a easy fix. the mitsu dealership will log into the mitsu site and find that its flagged. they will then call tonkin and tell them its not covered. although you might get a freebie the first time around I cant see tonkin flipping the bill as long as the car is under warranty for. good luck with the car man, hopefully you wont have to worry about any of that anyway. it worrys me to buy a car like that from anyone that is not a mitsu dealership.