Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Stupid intake

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid intake

So Wednesday I'm leaving the jobsite back to the office and POP! Car slows to nothing in the middle of 520. I pull over between the 520 bridge and the Westlake Rd offramp, pop the hood, poke and prod and neeto, my UICP came off at the throttle body. I've never screwed with this hose clamp, it's still factory tightened.... I walk back down 520 as far as I could, about 20', can't find the clamp, and after a few hectic phonecalls I get ahold of my girlfriend who goes to Shucks and brings me a new one. (I was utterly amazed that shuck's even has 3" hose clamps.)

Last night, merging onto I-5 south, POP! it comes off again....Didn't loose the clamp this time, it didn't come off the hose. Peak boost was recorded at 15 PSI when the hose came off, but this second time I was flooring it merging in front of some cars. (no, I don't run at 15 PSI, the car just didn't have enough time to build to full pressure, as it came off mere seconds after flooring it.)

1. Am I mistaken, or can this cause serious compressor damage from overspinning?

2. Where can I get T-bolt clamps locally in 3" Dia?

3. I run stock boost pressure, WTF?

I'm scared to floor it again, I don't want to damage the turbo just yet.

Last edited by GTisRule; Apr 25, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some shucks that have them ie. kent and south tacoma way, for sure, if you are really that worried get a new coupler and a t-bolt, i would just call ets
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

You should replace the worm clamp with a t-bolt clamp. But before reinstalling, clean the inside of the hose and the outside of the throttle body. You might have some sort of oil that is causing it to slip off.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

it's not that serious
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
So Wednesday I'm leaving the jobsite back to the office and POP! Car slows to nothing in the middle of 520. I pull over between the 520 bridge and the Westlake Rd offramp, pop the hood, poke and prod and neeto, my UICP came off at the throttle body. I've never screwed with this hose clamp, it's still factory tightened.... I walk back down 520 as far as I could, about 20', can't find the clamp, and after a few hectic phonecalls I get ahold of my girlfriend who goes to Shucks and brings me a new one. (I was utterly amazed that shuck's even has 3" hose clamps.)

Last night, merging onto I-5 south, POP! it comes off again....Didn't loose the clamp this time, it didn't come off the hose. Peak boost was recorded at 15 PSI when the hose came off, but this second time I was flooring it merging in front of some cars. (no, I don't run at 15 PSI, the car just didn't have enough time to build to full pressure, as it came off mere seconds after flooring it.)

1. Am I mistaken, or can this cause serious compressor damage from overspinning?

2. Where can I get T-bolt clamps locally in 3" Dia?

3. I run stock boost pressure, WTF?

I'm scared to floor it again, I don't want to damage the turbo just yet.
I have a couple extra 3" T-bolt clamps that will work. If you want to come by my place in Kirkland I will give you one and help you put it on so it will not come off again.

206-708-9345
-Josh
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Hairspray is your friend. Use a 10mm to tighten them down too...not a screwdriver. They need to be TIGHT.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO-IX-MR
I have a couple extra 3" T-bolt clamps that will work. If you want to come by my place in Kirkland I will give you one and help you put it on so it will not come off again.

206-708-9345
-Josh
Wow man, that's hella cool of you to offer. I ended up picking up 3 of them on the way home. Just for everyone's information, Napa stocks 3" T-Bar clamps as a normal inventory item, $4 a piece.

Now I need to find out why I'm only hitting 18 PSI. I just tightened every single hose clamp from the turbo to the throttle body excluding the BOV because of the stupid factory putting the bolt toward the battery..

Anyone have a good method for checking boost leaks?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

are you tuned or using a boost controller? 18psi is pretty close to stock boost
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kings Fan
are you tuned or using a boost controller? 18psi is pretty close to stock boost
Tuned but stock boost. I used to hit 20.5 exactly on the gauge.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Wow man, that's hella cool of you to offer. I ended up picking up 3 of them on the way home. Just for everyone's information, Napa stocks 3" T-Bar clamps as a normal inventory item, $4 a piece.

Now I need to find out why I'm only hitting 18 PSI. I just tightened every single hose clamp from the turbo to the throttle body excluding the BOV because of the stupid factory putting the bolt toward the battery..

No problem man, that is what a forum like this is all about! Glad you were able to find some. Make sure you use hairspray on the inside of the rubber cupler and tighten the bold down good with a socket wrench. I carry and extra clamp in the car just in case.

As for the boost leak, check the vaccum tubes on the back of the intake manifold to make sure none have poped off. Particulary the one on the far left side where the boost gauge Ts in. Does it feel like it has less power? If not you might also want to check the tube on the back of your boost gauge to make sure it is on tight as it could just be a false reading.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Go to Home Depot buy a 2.5in-2in coupler with clamps, a 2in pvc cap, and a valve stem. $5 boost leak tester. Pop it on the end of the turbo and fix your leaks.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Go to Home Depot buy a 2.5in-2in coupler with clamps, a 2in pvc cap, and a valve stem. $5 boost leak tester. Pop it on the end of the turbo and fix your leaks.
Nice, thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The throttle body clamp is actually a 2.75" and given that T-bolts don't have as much adjustment that 3" might not tighten all the way. Just trying to make sure you don't blow off the same connection again

Tom
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

i remember after the first time mine came off, it was completely worthless after that. i blew it three times on the way to napa trying to baby the car even.