Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Pad and Rotor recomendations

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pad and Rotor recomendations

hey everybody......this is my first time posting in this forrum, so please forgive any ignorance.......

i'm sure there's a million threads on the topic allready, but i was looking for the opinions of those in the PNW (espcieally kitsap pennisula) for a replacement set of pads and rotors for my newly aquired 06 evo 9......the constant rain and decreased (compared to say california) availability to shops i might expect to affect reponses...

i track my car about once or twice a month, but also drive it to work every day.....

the previous owner warped the rotors so it shakes under hard braking coming down from tripple digits.....it was suggested to me to have them turned, but i'm guessing that it might be cheaper to just replace them myself instead....

any thoughts?

thanks!
Old May 28, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

get Stoptech Slotted rotors.. and ferrdo or Project MU street/strip pads

go talk to World one performance ask garret or Joey that i Sent you
Old May 28, 2008, 06:35 PM

I put Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads on mine and love them.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Powerslot rotors are good but the slots do wear out pads a bit faster. Check out the motor sports forum, a lot of guys use Centric (I think?) blank rotors - but I'm still on the stock rotors.

As for pads, Ferodo DS2500 pads are great all-around pads but since they're not pure track pads, you have to be careful not to fade them (but they're much, much better than stock pads).

Currently I am running Pagid RS29 on the front, DS2500 on the rear. Works well, but the fronts squeal during slow stops on the street.

These are the pads I have experience with, there are many other good pads available, some mentioned in the above posts.
Old May 28, 2008, 10:38 PM

these are awesome comments guys...keep em comin...

so where is a good place to get all this......i heard a shot out for world one performance..........do you guys get your stuff at a shop or on line?
Old May 28, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have the powerslot rotors with the Ferodo DS2500 all around. Works ok, sometimes a bit squeaky on the streets but not as noisy as the Project MU's (NS).

I did light those on fire once at the track when there was a black flag because a Viper ran off .
Old May 29, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by aeroweenie
.............Powerslot rotors are good but the slots do wear out pads a bit faster. Check out the motor sports forum, a lot of guys use Centric (I think?) blank rotors - but I'm still on the stock rotors.

i was thinking i wanted to go with blank rotors becuase of my concern with wearing pads.....i'm allways racing (lapping) on a budget......

anybody here get a chance to compare the centric's to oem?.......i was thinking i was going to stick with OEM on the rotor front, and do a "comprimise" pad like the froto's or something......

can you go bigger than stock at all with the same calipers?.......with the v-dubs sometimes you can go just a little bigger with no other modifications, if you choose the right brand....
Old May 29, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

I run stock rotors with hawk HP+ and i don't have complaints. It does squeak at street but it doesn't bother me. I have been tracking once a month since march and the brakes are holding just fine.
Old May 29, 2008, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
get Stoptech Slotted rotors.. and ferrdo or Project MU street/strip pads

go talk to World one performance ask garret or Joey that i Sent you
Dont listen to chris he sucks.

I prefer the Girodisc products over the stoptech. Girodisc makes both 2pc and 1pc rotors for your car. And I believe they also make stage kits with the ferodo or girodisc magic pads. Last I checked there evo shipment was due to be in on friday or monday. Girodisc is also a vendor on Evom and they are now located in WA!

Also if you are interested someone has done a nice write up on the girodisc products! Good luck.

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/article.php?id=48
Old May 29, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Akisan2
I run stock rotors with hawk HP+ and i don't have complaints. It does squeak at street but it doesn't bother me. I have been tracking once a month since march and the brakes are holding just fine.

thats awesome .....

well thats it then......i just decided i'm going to run that setup.....

originally i was going to get my stock rotors turned, but everywhere i go, it's so expensive, it's not worth it........ but i really do think the stock rotors are fine

a buddy of mine gave me a tip where i could get them turned for cheap at a local tech school.....i'm hoping i can do that and then get some frotos or some HP+s

if i can't, does anybody know of a cheap place to get mine turned OR a good source for OEM parts?
Old May 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also track my 06 IX and I've literally destroyed a set of Hawk HP+ pads, parts were shredded over my rotors after a 15 minute run.

Here's the thread to some pics of Hawk HP+ spread across my rotors
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330739

I've reciently gone to Ferodo 3500's for track use only, 2500's on the street and they seem pretty solid. My next scheduled track day is the end of June, so I haven't tested the race pads yet.

The 2500's kick *** on the street, I bought them thru Group 2 in Ballard who's a authorized dealer. (Also an authorized distributor for Gyrodisc)

Rotors I went with Works 2-Piece. No real comments here, the fronts are about 4 pounds lighter. They work and they're 'authorized' factory replacement parts.

On a side note, I was getting some horrindous vibration in a similar situation, but it was pretty much at any speed over 50. Turned out I heat damaged a tire after my last track day.
Old May 29, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*NEVER TURN YOUR ROTORS* That is a very bad and common mistake. Centric blanks are good for cheap and can be placed quite often. If you really track I would go for Performance Friction 2pc or Girodisk but they cost alot.

Performance Friction Z rated pads are probably one of the best all around pads. Again they are more for autoX or light lapping. Running anything over street tires I would run PFC01 or something.

Hawks are mediocre pads. For the price you can get much much better.

Ferodo, Performance Friction, Project Mu would probably be the upper choices. If you are really serious about tracking you can get some Raybestos but they eat the rotors.

A good cheap setup would be PFZ pads all around then swap PFC01 for the front. Although different F&R pads isn't ideal buts Evo's braking distrubution can deal with it quite well.

Last edited by dbsears; May 29, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Ferodo, Pagid Pad Sources

I've bought Ferodo pads from:

http://www.RaceShopper.com

and Pagid pads from:

http://rennstore.com/ (local company!)

good experiences with both, and both had good prices - there may be cheaper sources but I havn't found them.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just bought project mu ns front and rear from lancershop for $156...
Old May 30, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by V Dub Mike
thats awesome .....

well thats it then......i just decided i'm going to run that setup.....

originally i was going to get my stock rotors turned, but everywhere i go, it's so expensive, it's not worth it........ but i really do think the stock rotors are fine

a buddy of mine gave me a tip where i could get them turned for cheap at a local tech school.....i'm hoping i can do that and then get some frotos or some HP+s

if i can't, does anybody know of a cheap place to get mine turned OR a good source for OEM parts?
I also have stainless steel lines and motul 600's.
I don't run my car like an idiot and drive like a grandpa on the street. I found this set up to be working fairly well. I don't floor the pedal EVERY straights I get on my track days either. I'm not timed, I am doing the track to hone my driving skills. Unless you're the "track expert" it really is an overkill IMO.
Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Pad and Rotor recomendations