Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Help: hydraulic stand press anyone? ARP Wheel Stud Install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: hydraulic stand press anyone? ARP Wheel Stud Install

Hey all,

I just took my rotors/calipers off to find that the evo studs are machine pressed out & in and my hammer just wouldn't cut it....

With that said, does anyone out there have access to a press that I could use/receive help with? I'll pay, but I was just hoping to avoid the price of what speedware charges (and hoping to get it done this weekend).

If anyone's able to lend some assistance/shop time please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it. Almost have my baby rally prepped, but just need these ARP extended Studs in.

Thanks-
Erich
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:02 PM

(trying to get this done by Saturday in order to make it down to the Hillsboro rally on sunday)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

I've swapped studs on my car several times without a press. Use a sacrificial lug nut on the old stud to hammer them out, and a big stack of washers with an impact wrench to pull in the new ones. Some people say this is bad since it might hurt your wheel bearings, but I've had no problems with this method and swapped studs in the front three times (for different spacers).

If you want a press to do it the professional way, try emailing the guys at WestWerks. They have a press in their shop, and while they are not officially open on the weekend, there's almost always somebody in the shop anyway. I'm sure they'd let you use their press if you ask.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

How the hell would you use a press to do this and why? Like voidhawk says just pull them in with a lugnut ans a few washers to cut friction. Get a bigger hammer to get he old ones out.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:48 PM

Ok, I followed your advice of simply hammering it out and then using a lug to pull it in. The hammering the old ones out worked fine, but the pulling them in was the problem.... I've ruined 3 lugnuts and killed 1 stud..... The lugnuts can't hold up to the torque required to pull the studs in... so, so much for that.

Any other ideas? /me thinks I should have taken it to a press in the first place.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deviantek
Ok, I followed your advice of simply hammering it out and then using a lug to pull it in. The hammering the old ones out worked fine, but the pulling them in was the problem.... I've ruined 3 lugnuts and killed 1 stud..... The lugnuts can't hold up to the torque required to pull the studs in... so, so much for that.

Any other ideas? /me thinks I should have taken it to a press in the first place.
I'm sorry it didn't work for you . Did you use an impact wrench?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by voidhawk
I'm sorry it didn't work for you . Did you use an impact wrench?
I don't have one unfortunately. I was just using the lug wrench/bar thingy. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the hub off.. I already removed the front brake calipers/rotors and it seems impossible to take the axle screw out.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deviantek
I don't have one unfortunately. I was just using the lug wrench/bar thingy. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the hub off.. I already removed the front brake calipers/rotors and it seems impossible to take the axle screw out.
call me - I'll pm you my number
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:12 AM

Did you ever get your studs in? call me tomorrow morning and i have a stud tool that we could probably arrange for you to use.

i will pm you my number
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:11 PM

Well, thanks to voidhawk I've got an impact wrench and was able to pull out the front studs and place in the new ones succesfuly. However, I'm trying to figure out how to pull the rear studs. They're recessed into what looks like the wheel beering/housing and I was hoping by removeing the axle bolt that the hub would come right off... it didn't. Any suggestions?

Thanks,