Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Who's running an AEM EMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's running an AEM EMS?

Any of you local guys using the AEM EMS? How do you guys like it? Thoughts and opinions welcomed. I'm thinking of getting one from Andre at Pina and see what he can do with the stock turbo.

Those of you that have dyno numbers and would like to share, feel free to list your major mods and what you're getting with an AEM. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Does andre tune on aem now? I know when he made over 500 on his vr4 he had Ryan Barr tuning for him.

I would get a hold of Lucas English or John Reed for aem tuning. They are really the only 2 guys i would trust tuning for me.

Plus Andre's seems to charge on the very high side for tuning, $450 to an ecu flash tune.

Just my opinions and things to think about, besides the stock turbo what else do you have in the way of mods?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have one on my VIII and love it. Prior to the AEM I was using the utec and had good results, but after switching to the AEM EMS, I wish I had done it from the beginning. In the right hands, it's truly a remarkable piece of equipment. I'm making more power on less boost with it compared to the utec. The idle is rock steady. The car drives better than it did when I drove it off the lot from the dealership. I wish I had bought it from the start. I love it.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
Does andre tune on aem now? I know when he made over 500 on his vr4 he had Ryan Barr tuning for him.

I would get a hold of Lucas English or John Reed for aem tuning. They are really the only 2 guys i would trust tuning for me.

Plus Andre's seems to charge on the very high side for tuning, $450 to an ecu flash tune.

Just my opinions and things to think about, besides the stock turbo what else do you have in the way of mods?
Yeah, I've been told English Racing does an awesome job. Car is pretty much stock. It has an exhaust and an intake. And some fancy thingy with an evoscan. Feels like around 230's to 240 to the wheels since I only pull ahead by a fender to a factory freak stock srt4. I'm going to take it slow. Build it up just like I did with my srt. LOTS of stuff needed, but I want to be in the 400's, maybe 500 when it's all done.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

who is the car tuned by now?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

who is the car tuned by now?
Don't know, I'm the 3rd owner. 2nd owner had it for a couple months and had to sell it due to payments. I haven't messed with it since I bought it except new tires. I'll start to tinker when I start getting parts.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

if you are interested we could meet up some time and log your car just to make sure you are working with a safe tune.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

if you are interested we could meet up some time and log your car just to make sure you are working with a safe tune.
Yeah that would be great! Maybe at the next meet or something we can do that.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't go out to the NW evolution meets, but i am down to meet up any time you are.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

i would highly recommend John Reed as well! he's a good guy and a great friend, people from europe dont have him fly over all the time for no reason, he's one of the best at what he does (tuning). Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe lucas and paul would turn to John when issues came up w/ pauls car (of course not saying anything bad about lucas or paul ) that alone tells you how great John is, i've dealt w/ a few guys on tuning my AEM and he's the only one i would ever have touch my car!!!!!

Last edited by SeanJhn9; Jun 20, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard great things about the AEM tuning abilities of Lucas English and John Reed. If I ever switch my car over to AEM I will definitely deal with one of them.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
In my opinion a car under 500whp really does not need AEM. The stock ECU flash does well. If you ever have to pass emissions you cant do it with a AEM. John is one of the best AEM guys and has taught me the system very well.

Doing a car with AEM is not just tunning being able to set the car up right to make the right package is the key to a good running car.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lucas English
In my opinion a car under 500whp really does not need AEM. The stock ECU flash does well. If you ever have to pass emissions you cant do it with a AEM. John is one of the best AEM guys and has taught me the system very well.

Doing a car with AEM is not just tunning being able to set the car up right to make the right package is the key to a good running car.

I will agree with Lucas, unless you have future plans of going over the 500whp a good reflash will be more then enough and you can put the money else where. The only real advantage is being able to go Speed Density and getting rid of the MAF.