Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Primitive Rally School - August 22 - 24

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Primitive Rally School - August 22 - 24

You asked for it and YOU GOT IT...

Our next Rally School happens in Hillsboro at the Fairplex on August 22nd - 24th.

The course is laid out on a fairly level and flat field, marked by cones with nothing to crash into except your ability to control a vehicle at race pace in limited traction conditions.

The Primitive Performance School was founded by myself and local Hotshoe legend, Paul Eklund, and is now in its 5th season. Students come from all over the Country to attend this 3-day explosion of dirt and determination.

Friday evening is "Ground School" where you will pour over textbook theory and learn all about car control, transition and the mathematics of Rally.

Saturday is a full day of one-on-one instruction with an experienced stage rally Instructor through a myriad of skills including: Skid Pad, Slalom, Figure of eight, 90 degrees, launch and braking, decreasing radius and Scandinavian flick inspired 180s. Lunch is included on Saturday as well as a Open Road Rally (TSD) then back to the limestone as you work through even MORE exercises culminating in a GIGANTIC Graduations course!

Many of our students complain that at the end of Saturday, they don't want to drive any more... even to go home!

Lucky for you, we have a special rate worked out with the Red Lion Hotel so you can stay ON SITE for the school

Sunday is a full on Rally Cross Competition int he morning where you will put your newfound skills to test against some of the North West's best competitors (mostly driving Subarus, grrrrr...) with further runs, test-n-tune and fun in the afternoon.

Certificate of Graduation are provided for those of you with the mettle and 2 co-efficient points are awarded and attached to your competition history which gets you well on your way to a full competition license with both Rally-America and NASA Rally Sport, the two sanctioning bodies for Rally in the United States.

Sure you can drive fast in a straight line... but can you drive fast when you have to use ALL the rest of the car? We will see. If we don't push you into a mistake, this school isn't pushing you hard enough! Don't miss it!

ADVANCED School coming on September, so keep your eyes open. Advanced school is only for Primitive School graduates or currently competitive licensed drivers, cage cars required with full safety gear. See website for details.

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/nwrallyschool.htm

Let me know if you plan on coming and I'll try and arrange a "EVO/Mitsu only" event as well.

See you there?

RallyDSM
Scott
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im out there is no way i can get more time of work the next 2 months, F weddings and baby's
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Some one please buy my exhaust so I can go!!!!!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Is the Nashville event a beginers course also. It is close enogh for me to attend if I can get some xtra money, but I don't have a cage or experience.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Nashville is a NON caged, beginner event. You can drive your car AS IS, with a working seat belt, solid condition and a helmet.

Experience is optional

PM me or visit the website for general school information. The same details will apply to the Nashville school.

See you there

Scott
Old Aug 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I forgot to subscribe & was wondering why no one answered my question . I will try to get to that event. It's cutting it a little close, but I'll try to swing it. I really want to try this out. Wish me luck.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Wishing you luck

and I'll see you there

Scott
-------
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

I did this a couple of years ago - it's a blast! Some things to prepare with: get rubber mats (instructors with very muddy feet will be entering / leaving your car frequently), and don't go on stock tires (use winter tires if you have them). Oh, and be prepared to clean your car for a week afterwards
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't recall if I was your instructor or not... I've had a couple of EVO students but have missed a few. But you're right about dirt being tracked in and out of the car, although this next school will be more DUSTY than Muddy.

the underside of the car will get pretty dirty but luckily there is a high power spray wash not far and it's pretty cheap to clean.

It's so great to do this school... not just for the Rally part of it, but the skills and principles you learn here translate to the Freeway. I read through this forum all the time and see the pictures and the stories about an unexpected snap turn resulting in bent metal... ALL of which would have been avoided with the proper reactive skill set.

Driving for traction is fine... but being prepared for what the car FEELS like and will do when traction goes away is BETTER. Get a grip on not having grip... THAT's the point.

In not this school, another... It's worth it.

Scott

EDIT - I just looked at your pictures from the rally school you attended... You were at the RECORD SCHOOL for Mud and slop. Never before nor ever again have we had one THAT messy. You picked a winner there! Too funny. I'll have to dig up a picture of my All-Trac Rally Car from that school day.... Couldn't even see out of the windshield!

Oh... never mind... You have it on your site!

It has NEVER been that muddy again... and never will be. But MAN that was fun!!!!

Last edited by RallyDSM; Aug 4, 2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

I don't remember if you were my instructor either (sorry!), but I second this being an amazing good time and useful learning experience. The only thing that kept me from going back is that my car is now set up for track duty (lowered). Some photos from my visit are here http://evo.open-aerospace.org/pix/2005.07%20-%20rallyx/
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Were you sharing driving with your wife/girl friend? If so, I remember driving the car but not being your instructor. I stepped in to help specifically with the flick. I remember it was a gray MR... but don't remember who the actual instructor was.

Scott
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyDSM
Were you sharing driving with your wife/girl friend? If so, I remember driving the car but not being your instructor. I stepped in to help specifically with the flick. I remember it was a gray MR... but don't remember who the actual instructor was.

Scott
That was me
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn I want to do this so bad! I have a full set of Blizzak D50's and muddy Evo's are so sexy... There's another in September? I'm hurting on the finantials ATM.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

There may be.... if enough students are around to do one. Plus, we have two STAGE events in October/september plus an advanced school and a school in Tennessee... so it will take some effort to squeeze one in.

...and then there's the whole wet weather issue to content with in September.

"We'll See" is the best answer I can give at this point. I'll let you know though.

Scott
------
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:25 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Scott is an amazing instructor. He knows what he's talking about. Even if you aren't interested in doing rally, this will be a very good school to learn about the dynamics of your car... even for daily driving.

Make sure you take pen & paper. Get a lot of sleep and have a clean head. Most of all have fun. You'll learn more things about what you didn't know about car control in this class than just about any other class.

Also if you're going to be driving your evo, make sure you have your under plates installed. You don't want to be packing dirt / mud up under your engine / t.case / transmission.

Quick Reply: Primitive Rally School - August 22 - 24