Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

12 tabs open about coilovers...sigh

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12 tabs open about coilovers...sigh

Ok, been reading about coilovers for 3 hours now this is what I know for what I looked at;

Ohlins Flag-L = The sh*t, 2-way adjustable, with adjustable ride height, must be removed to adjust ride height. High maintenance 4k retail

Ohlins DFV = 1 way adjustable, Gerrard spec is revalved with spring rates, comes with adjustable perches. Both adjustable ride height, must be removed to adjust ride height. High maintenance 3,200 retail

Bilstein PSS9 = 2 way adjustable, does not need to be removed to adjust ride height $1800 retail

Bilstein PSS10 = 2 way adjustable, does not need to be removed to adjust ride height apparently not available at this time for the Evo, rules Bilstein out unfortunately.

KW1 = no adjustable valving, only ride height, needs to be removed to adjust height, price: who cares...

KW2 = 1 way adjustable, does not need to be removed to adjust ride height, price: who cares...

KW3 = 2 way adjustable, remote reservoir, does not need to be removed to adjust ride height. 2k retail

Zzyzx = makes two sets, one are only adjustable ride height canisters with Koni inserts, quality seems low, camber adjustment made at the standard top bolt on the lower control arm/strut mount. The second version use machined brackets connected to a 2 way adjustable Koni strut, adjustable spring perches are not available.

Man, I just don't know, PSS10's would probably win my opinion, but not available yet. I think I'm going to have to do kw3's...

Last edited by GTisRule; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Corrected removal on KW2 and PSS9's
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the club - lol. PSS10's won't be available for a while per GTWORX. And from what he said, they will cost more than the current PSS9's (which has a price of around 1900$ already). For that price, might as well get Variant 3's.

The PSS9's and the Variant 2's don't need to be removed to adjust height, you just lift up your car then basically raise or lower the bottom perch after you made sure you cleaned the threads with brake cleaner. Do they really sell V2's for the EVO? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere..

Only V3's along with the RobiSpec'd KW's.

GTWorx also states the coilovers made by AST are good, don't see it listed in their site - maybe he'll chime in.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Just get Kw V3 and it good for Street and major on Track...
or Robispec Kw V3... u can get good deals.. i got mine for 1300$ with Hypercoil Springs plus stock springs too.. on Forum Member.. and it flawless!

Stay away Kw V2 or 1 it not for An Evo useful..

PSS10 Blisten sound good.. but i still wait for review form members, but mostly Ohlin Flagsport
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Megan racing Tracks or Streets Coilovers?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Megans are a joke compared to anything mentioned above.

I have ridden/driven in Flags, STG3 works Ohlins DFV, and Robispec Clubsport KW3 and various others. Out of all I preferred the Ohlins DFV. I have been told the PSS10 should be out by Feb or so and be about $1800. I think thats what I will wait for.

Actually I think the next best option in Robispec Street KW's as they ride nice and are good enough at the track for most street tires and mild sized R comps. Pick them up for about $2200. The base KW's are nice but the springrates aren't great and you can't just slap 10k springs on stock KW valving. I know the Clubsports are 8kf/9kr and they ride decent and were one of the fastest setups next to a widebody NSX at PR last time I went.

Goodluck getting some ZZYZX. They take a long time to get even though they are good. Based off the Koni's is a plus but their are only a few floating around. He's only a one man team so there is a good amount of wait time. I contacted him a couple months back unless things have changed.

Last edited by dbsears; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you should tell people what your intended use is, and other people will most likely chime in.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
Just get Kw V3 and it good for Street and major on Track...
or Robispec Kw V3... u can get good deals.. i got mine for 1300$ with Hypercoil Springs plus stock springs too.. on Forum Member.. and it flawless!
I think the only drawback with buying used is you lose the lifetime warranty that you get with KW's. At least when I had KW's in the past, it had a lifetime warranty - i'm assuming that's still the case today.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Oh I thought I would add PIC select R1's are suppose to be alright. I also know the new STANCE AL+ are very nice. You can specify what springrates you want and they will use SWIFT coils. I have been debating those because they are light and DTM runs them competively.

Edit: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ance+coilovers
Check out post 21...plus they are priced cheaper than all listed...

Last edited by dbsears; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by funks
Welcome to the club - lol. PSS10's won't be available for a while per GTWORX. And from what he said, they will cost more than the current PSS9's (which has a price of around 1900$ already). For that price, might as well get Variant 3's.

The PSS9's and the Variant 2's don't need to be removed to adjust height, you just lift up your car then basically raise or lower the bottom perch after you made sure you cleaned the threads with brake cleaner. Do they really sell V2's for the EVO? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere..

Only V3's along with the RobiSpec'd KW's.

GTWorx also states the coilovers made by AST are good, don't see it listed in their site - maybe he'll chime in.
Ahh thanks on the clear up on the PSS9 and the V2's. I read the spec data off each mfgr's website, and the PSS10 I caught up on thru forum searches. I'm not sure if they actually make the KW1 or 2's for the Evo, after reading on them they were not an option.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Funk.. Yeah I have warranty.., guy gave me all paperworks.. and so Im gonna sent robispec to rebuild it.

Come on.... Megan.. u kidding me.. it not worth it.., it joke..

I really Dig Moton Coilovers... Moton Motorsport Coilover.. but Clubsport was on Ferrari, Porches, Benz, BMW.. but they are about 8k to 10k or more!
http://www.motonsuspension.com/

Last edited by hanahawaiian; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe you should tell people what your intended use is, and other people will most likely chime in.
I DD and run 6 - 8 track days a year... sorry most of the NW locals know me enough to know what I do
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

You are looking for something similar to what some of us are looking for then. Something compliant on the street but can be firmed up when needed for light track duty, mountain ride.

I've ridden on an EVO IX w/ PSS9's and basically - seemed to me that the adjustment didn't do a darned thing. The PSS10's looks good (supposedly fixed valving from the 9) but there's no date on when it'll be out. The only thing I don't like about it spec wise is the fact that it's designed to have a minimum drop of an inch. I want something that's designed with a minimum drop of 0 and a maximum drop of 1 inches at most.

I've been looking for info in regards to the AST coilovers - the AST website doesn't seem to have any info aside from part numbers - lol. It seems like it only has a 2-year warranty, not sure who rebuilds / revalves them here in the US (I'm assuming GTWorx would know). I'm trying to find out what it's designed minimum drop is.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

You are looking for something similar to what some of us are looking for then. Something compliant on the street but can be firmed up when needed for light track duty, mountain ride.

I've ridden on an EVO IX w/ PSS9's and basically - seemed to me that the adjustment didn't do a darned thing. The PSS10's looks good (supposedly fixed valving from the 9) but there's no date on when it'll be out. The only thing I don't like about it spec wise is the fact that it's designed to have a minimum drop of an inch. I want something that's designed with a minimum drop of 0 and a maximum drop of 1 inches at most.

I've been looking for info in regards to the AST coilovers - the AST website doesn't seem to have any info aside from part numbers - lol. It seems like it only has a 2-year warranty, not sure who rebuilds / revalves them here in the US (I'm assuming GTWorx would know). I'm trying to find out what it's designed minimum drop is.
I'm pretty aggressive at the track though, so that's the hardest part in my decision. I absolutely love the way the car handles (IX with MR Bilstiens + Hodgekis 25mm on medium 255/40-17 RT-615's) on the track. I want the same exact balance, just firmer and I need to reduce wheel chatter. I find I'm sliding the car around the track instead of driving it. I don't want to destroy the car either from being too stiff or too low.... so yeah, pretty much the same problem.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Are you running on the stock springs? If so anything will be firmer than the MR bilsteins You have pretty much have the same setup as mine, I also have Hotcki's on the rear, except I only have stock sized tires.

AST-USA website is here - http://www.ast-usa.com/ - full facility for rebuilding / revalving to custom specs.

They don't list the same parts as the UK site though (Sportline II's is what I'm interested in).

http://www.ast-suspension.com/

AST == Dutch Company.

Last edited by funks; Oct 30, 2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Are you running on the stock springs? If so anything will be firmer than the MR bilsteins You have pretty much have the same setup as mine, I also have Hotcki's on the rear, except I only have stock sized tires.

AST-USA website is here - http://www.ast-usa.com/ - full facility for rebuilding / revalving to custom specs.

They don't list the same parts as the UK site though (Sportline II's is what I'm interested in).

http://www.ast-suspension.com/

AST == Dutch Company.
Yeah, the stock MR springs. They are pretty damn soft.

Quick Reply: 12 tabs open about coilovers...sigh