Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Good lord I hate WSP. Modified exhaust ticket.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord I hate WSP. Modified exhaust ticket.

I just got a ticket on I-405 near seattle for modified exhaust on my 06 ix. Exhaust is an HKS cat back with an extra resonator welded in to quiet it down to stock levels. (place I work at is near wealthy residential neighborhood.) My car is very VERY close to stock noise levels.

He pulled me over for the sole reason of having a "modified muffler."

I asked how he knew it was too loud and he said he could tell from inside his car while driving.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got an exhaust ticket today aswell
cop was a real *******.. said that its illegal to even HAVE an exhaust on any car.. I was like WTF.....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:28 PM

Christ. WTF is going on. Officer that wrote me said that modifying the exhaust to even one Db louder is illegal.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea what a bunch of crap. Someone was probably getting raped and he's writing you an exhaust ticket. I'd fight it - www.speedinginseattle.com Mitch Greene will take care of you. Hell he got me out of an HOV violation one time.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:39 PM

I have a great attorney that has gotten me out of every single ticket Ive sent to him. 8 in the last 6 years. But he charges $250/ticket and this ticket is not a moving violation so Im just gonna handle it myself.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

It's been a while since we have seen on of these.

Look it up, the law states any exhaust that has been modified shall be no louder than what it came equipped with from the factory. There is no decibel level at all. I would agree that it sucks, but it's the law. You broke it, man up and take care of it. Everytime someone get's one of these tickets they come here and b#tch about the cop and the law. It's the job to uphold the laws and "modified exhaust" is a law in washington. I definitely empathize with you but I shed no tear for you.

If you decide to fight it, good luck!!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:45 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

has nothing to do with cars, but i heard this morning on the news that officers are starting to crack down on Harley and same type motorcycle loud exhaust noises. Maybe cars are being targeted too?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xturdfergusonx
It's been a while since we have seen on of these.

Look it up, the law states any exhaust that has been modified shall be no louder than what it came equipped with from the factory. There is no decibel level at all. I would agree that it sucks, but it's the law. You broke it, man up and take care of it. Everytime someone get's one of these tickets they come here and b#tch about the cop and the law. It's the job to uphold the laws and "modified exhaust" is a law in washington. I definitely empathize with you but I shed no tear for you.

If you decide to fight it, good luck!!
Ugh you said it before I could..

You are breaking the law regardless, so be a man and pay your ticket and move on.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:51 PM

Yeah i would have to say look it up. I am not fimilar with Washington law but I know some states say as long as there is a muffler on the car and it is functioning it is legal. And besides without anyway of recording a decible reading there is no true way of determaining the actual decible of your car.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by g63tawd
Yeah i would have to say look it up. I am not fimilar with Washington law but I know some states say as long as there is a muffler on the car and it is functioning it is legal. And besides without anyway of recording a decible reading there is no true way of determaining the actual decible of your car.
It does not matter.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, washington has pretty strict laws on exhaust, I got pulled over on the freeway going home from a meet up in Olympia. My galant has a Greddy SP2 catback on it, which is a rather mellow tone, only slightly louder than stock, and I got pulled over for it being too loud by a cop who was driving next to me. Fortunately, no ticket because I was from Oregon.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is exactly why my car is registered in FL
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I understand that there is no specific db law in WA state but an officer informed me that they try to not pull over cars driving normally (not ***-hat like) and that the general rule-of-thumbs is across the US, authorities do not like the db to be higher than 96 on any car. The Ti-C I have on is 94 db. I always thought that my Ti-C is pretty loud but still streetable (Greddy Ti and TRUST is unbearable in my opinion - even if they sound really sick)
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:08 AM
Evolving Member

i'm glad i got a stock exhaust that i clean up to look like aftermarket... but if i that cop would of pull me over.... i would of smoked his *** hahaha j/k...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

I never got pulled for Exhaust... my is loud.. WSP and Polices, Sheriff always by me.. and gave me thumb up sometimes.. i have alot friends who are cops.. they say it dont botter it.. as long cop have a bad day. give out hella randoms tickets..

Quick Reply: Good lord I hate WSP. Modified exhaust ticket.