Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Pulled over.......bs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled over.......bs?

Yeah so i got pulled over last night for no reason at 130am by a Sheriff that looked maybe 24 at most and he said "i pulled you over for modded exhaust and seat belts". I was like seat belts? what are you talkin about??? and he told me that 4 point harness is illegal. I tried to call his bs but he said its true. Granted he did let me go with no ticket but still wanted to know the truth if that in fact is illegal? I know exhaust is but harnesses? I feel more safe in that then anything.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

i believe the only street legal brand is schroth
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gawd, i tell ya, cops have nothing better to do.....wow. They could be pulling some one over when some one is getting shot and robbed.....dood, welcome to America.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to be wearing the stock ones, plain and simple. I don't know if you can wear both though.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:03 PM

yea you have to keep the stock ones for sure
Old Mar 7, 2009, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was told by a cop that the reason harnesses arent legal for the street is because they haven't been certified by the vehicle manufacturer (Mitsubishi) as being safe. Seat belts are part of the safety features in a vehicle and it is illegal to modify or remove the safety features if your car is registered for street use.

Oh and the exhaust is definitely not allowed.

I guarantee that the only reason he pulled you over at all was to check for DUI or drugs. I'll bet he didn't give a sh*t about your exhaust or harnesses.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SonySlave
I was told by a cop that the reason harnesses arent legal for the street is because they haven't been certified by the vehicle manufacturer (Mitsubishi) as being safe. Seat belts are part of the safety features in a vehicle and it is illegal to modify or remove the safety features if your car is registered for street use.

Oh and the exhaust is definitely not allowed.

I guarantee that the only reason he pulled you over at all was to check for DUI or drugs. I'll bet he didn't give a sh*t about your exhaust or harnesses.
Yeah thats what i think too. The guy was young and sees a fast/nice car and was like EW EW...... imma go pull him over.........hmmmmm but i need a reason. Oh ill say exhaust like everyone else does then try to scare the driver with threats. just like my plate, nice try
Old Mar 7, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have a buddy thats a Stater and i finally got a hold of him and he said yeah you cant wear harnesses but they dont really give a s%&@ cause they know there safe, its a stupid law and the cop should never have even mentioned it. Says hes an idiot! haha
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

let me ask my mom friend.. he is Pierce Country Cheif sheriff.., and i have few friends are WSP and PC Sheriff.. ill ask about law RCW codes
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

*off topic* yay i have 1000 post! lol
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

they're illegal unless licensed by DOT
My takatas got me pulled over constantly
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 Evo V///
I have a buddy thats a Stater and i finally got a hold of him and he said yeah you cant wear harnesses but they dont really give a s%&@ cause they know there safe, its a stupid law and the cop should never have even mentioned it. Says hes an idiot! haha

Yeah, they're safe if they are put in the correct way. Using a harness bar and mounting them to the floor the correct way, which most ricers don't know how to do.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

lol well i had them in my teg first they were mounted safely to the back seat and i didnt use them till i got my harness bar, Then fully mounted them on my harness bar
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What makes a seat belt legal is DOT approval. Period.

What makes a Seat Belt DOT approved is the inclusion of "anti-sub" construction or functionality. What Anti-Sub is the ability for the restraint system to give out a several inches of slack on a significant impact in order for the occupant to come forward at the shoulders and "belly over" the lap belt and not slide UNDER it (or submarine).

Race Belts are designed with an anti-sub strap in mind. Thus the 5th point on a 5 point harness.

4 point harnesses don't have this feature and are a solid strap, non-ratchet design, so no anti-sub. That is why they are not DOT approved and illegal.

SCHROTH however DOES have a DOT approved, street legal set of belts because they incorporate anti sub into their shoulder belts. Anti sub in the Schroth belts can be seen just in front of the shoulder where the belts is doubled over onto itself and sewn down against it itself. This is the Anti-sub. When the Belts are hit hard, the stitching will break and the resulting forward momentum will cause the occupant to come forward at the waist about 6 inches and "belly over" the lap belt.

In addition, these belts often have anti sub too, or all least the option for them... making them the safest belts in the industry in my humble opinion.

Now WHY would I know all of this?

Well... Rally Racing. Oddly enough, this discussion has come up several times over the years as I sat on the National Board of Directors and functioned as Divisional Safety Steward, Regional Director, etc.

Rally Cars have to be street legal for competition. DOT Street legal. Full compliance with local and federal laws are at the core of the competitive rules. However, from a strictly technical standpoint, most Rally Cars are NOT in compliance with the rules due to the use of non-DOT approved seat belts. In our search for WHY these belts are not legal and which belts ARE actually legal AND safe for competition use, SCHROTH was the only belt available.

Now, most local authorities and the sanctioning bodies and stewards all look the other way when it comes to these non-street legal but FIA approved belts in a competition vehicle during a sanctioned event.... but...

if you want to have the conversation with a police officer about the use of a 4, 5 or 6 point harness in your car... BE SURE IT'S SCHROTH BELTS.

Anything else and you wont be able to get off if it comes to defending against a big money fine. You will be in the right and the judge will have to respect your knowledge, preparation and legal foundation.

So there you have it. Kinda long but I wanted to explain my position so you all didn't think I was talking out my ****.

Scott
---------
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Quick Reply: Pulled over.......bs?