Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Just got my Red 80mm!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI R/TErnie was having the same issues with his red... ie having a hard time hitting higher boost levels and keeping them up there on the red... we took his red off last night and low and behold we find that they sent him an 18 psi actuator instead of a 25 like he had ordered... he was uber bummed about it...
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting. If FP didn't have a great record on their products I probably would have gone with someone else, like CBRD. Long lead time, questionable customer service, and getting stuff wrong.

*edit - this isn't the first time I've heard of them sending the wrong product. BTW - why can the stock WGA hold more boost than the friggin' FP 18psi?

Last edited by yahu; Sep 12, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cant wait to get mine
Old Nov 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Just got back from the English dyno. My waste-gate still is not working right. Can only hit 28.5 psi?? i'll be putting the waste-gate on that FP gave me that was on the Red. Then head back to the Dyno.

@28.5 psi 495whp 402 wtq Hoping for 20+whp and 20+ wtq once fixed.

thanx
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

^smokin' numbers, Matt! I pulled my cat and now have a straight pipe. I need to get back on the dyno but I'm trying to wait until another package arrives...

Very weird that you are still having WGA issues. Maybe you need to go on a cruise and do some "spirited photography/videography." That seems to be when my issue was fixed.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

So nobody built their block for some insurance? I'm really surprised. I know many have hit 500 and beyond on stock block but maybe it's just me. I'd feel so much better knowing everything can take some abuse. I dunno.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

PAH! isn't the issue so much as the corresponding torque. Start twisting 410 - 420+ at the wheels on a stocker and the pressure might find the eject button.

Historically speaking, there is good success before pushing things too far. When taking finances into account, $3k - $5k can get you nice power before spending the same amount into a stronger motor.

*edit - I suppose if you are just strengthening the 2.0L it wouldn't be nearly that much but I don't see why I would invest in strengthening without going to a stroker at the same time.

Last edited by yahu; Nov 5, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yahu
PAH! isn't the issue so much as the corresponding torque. Start twisting 410 - 420+ at the wheels on a stocker and the pressure might find the eject button.

Historically speaking, there is good success before pushing things too far. When taking finances into account, $3k - $5k can get you nice power before spending the same amount into a stronger motor.

*edit - I suppose if you are just strengthening the 2.0L it wouldn't be nearly that much but I don't see why I would invest in strengthening without going to a stroker at the same time.
Pah!

I guess it depends on your end goal. Saw some dyno charts with Aaron and if I remember right, Jim's car on E85 really peaked my interest in pushing the red to the low 500's and 400tq. Therefore my thoughts for a built motor. BUT, I don't have E85 in Auburn either so that flat out sucks. Bummer, I guess Meth will have to do. I've also learned my lesson from the past when I spun a rod bearing in my old car (over rev), but I had a lot more torque from a 2.4L rather than a 2.0L.

Daniel, did you upgrade rod bolts and are you using a M15 nozzle for your meth? Or just the largest nozzle out of the 3 the AEM kit came with?

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Nov 6, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well hells, Mike, Eric (I think he's using race gas, though), Matt, and myself are all pushing at or around 500whp/400wtq on non e85; I'm guesstimating I'm knocking on the 500whp door without the HFC now. Personally e85 and the black scare me right now and I would literally want to pull back on the tune (tune out the torque) so as not to push that threshold for the time being.

And yes, PAH! is my new favorite word! Someone needs to make a PAH! smiley!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

470 is not 500. You have 30 more to go! Unless a HFC is good for another 30, I really don't know.

What about that meth nozzle?

Last edited by RoninVIIIRS; Nov 6, 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

HFC is probably good for about 30 or so. As "high flow" as it was, you couldn't see through it other than an occasional bit of light when looking at the sky, and I believe there was significant blockage/back pressure there.

I'm going to keep the meth nozzle where it is and not go bigger. I'm actually hoping to run a lower mix of meth at my next tune; 50% or even lower, assuming the next upgrade comes through in a couple weeks. muah ha ha haa

BTW - I'm guessing that e85 tune was at a lower psi since Aaron can get more out of that setup than a meth setup. I was simply using a few examples since 500/400 piqued your interest!

One more thing - you probably wouldn't really notice the difference if you were to try a 470whp ride and then try a 500whp ride. My butt-dyno definitely tells me that without the HFC it is hitting quicker and harder, and it shifts stronger. Kinda like that new pair of Roos when you were in elementary school!

Last edited by yahu; Nov 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

HFC is probably good for about 30 or so. As "high flow" as it was, you couldn't see through it other than an occasional light, and I believe there was significant blockage/back pressure there.

I'm going to keep the meth nozzle where it is and not go bigger. I'm actually hoping to run a lower mix of meth at my next tune; 50% or even lower, assuming the next upgrade comes through in a couple weeks. muah ha ha haa

BTW - I'm guessing that e85 tune was at a lower psi since Aaron can get more out of that setup than a meth setup. I was simply using a few examples since 500/400 piqued your interest!
I guess I will start with the largest nozzle in the kit then. That makes sense. I can always get a bigger one if needed. Ok, thanks!

And what's the surprise in a couple weeks????????
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

If I remember right, you have the AEM kit, right? I think the biggest they go is M10. In fact I think you have to get another brand's nozzle to go bigger (not that it makes a difference).

I thought I told you the surprise. I guess not. There is a certain waitlist that I couldn't help but add myself to. It is actually more like a "hey, we have a certain number of these unspoken for once we receive them" so I spoke for one.

*edit - you need to stop pussyfooting and get to the installs, maing! You have most everything ready to go!!!

Last edited by yahu; Nov 6, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Ah, you got your turbo/mani from AFI sales, didn't you Keith? Bastard - I wanted that mani!

Sweet deal though!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

If I remember right, you have the AEM kit, right? I think the biggest they go is M10. In fact I think you have to get another brand's nozzle to go bigger (not that it makes a difference).

I thought I told you the surprise. I guess not. There is a certain waitlist that I couldn't help but add myself to. It is actually more like a "hey, we have a certain number of these unspoken for once we receive them" so I spoke for one.

*edit - you need to stop pussyfooting and get to the installs, maing! You have most everything ready to go!!!
I know. I was still going back and forth on the setup, but I've decided now with the help of reading a few threads and other people's proven setups. But I have all winter, plenty of time until March rolls around.

And I think you gave your surprise away already.