Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Issue with low boost?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with low boost?

So I've got a 9 SE, running meth on a stock turbo with a greddy profec b II EBC. I've been running ~25psi for about a year now or so. All of a sudden, it's dropped to 18psi at WOT. Even in 4th and 5th, which can tend to overboost to 29psi, it's stuck at 18-19 psi.

What could be causing this? Wastegate acting up? Something wrong with the greddy?

None of the settings have been changed, and I've got the wastegate dutycycle up to about 85-90%! If I drop the dutycycle down, it'll decrease the boost, which of course is correct. So it's leading me to believe that it's not the Greddy.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened?

All the settings on the EBC have remained constant, other than my minor tweaks trying to see if it actually was the EBC. But I kept the baseline the original settings. I only tweaked my low settings with the high remaining the original settings. I can't seem to make a difference.

* NOTE - I've done a boost leak test, and there isn't one present.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

bro im in the same boat..............no idea whats going on
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

have you checked for boost leaks yet? Is it a stock wastegate or a forge wastegate, stock spring is 11psi and the forge is 18psi? Just throwing out some possible ideas.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:04 PM

Yeah, no boost leaks. First thing I checked.

It is stock wastegate. I thought maybe the spring might be a little tired at this point, so I appreciate the suggestion on the wastegate spring. Is there any way to test the stocker to see if that's the problem other than just purely replacing it?

How hard is it to replace the stock wastegate spring?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

What about a boost leak tester to pressurize the system when the car is off? If the wastegate might be the culprit it should start releasing boost. Im not too sure but I think they have an adjustable actuator arm. You could possibly try that and see, I have heard that the stock wastegates have about 5 springs and the thick one is the one you want to check out.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 01:51 PM

So I have a possible lead on my problem. I drove over to my girlfriends house and opened my hood out of frustration and what did I see? A meth leak on one of my hoses over the intake manifold. The meth was sizzling on the manifold, so thank goodness I found this without catching on fire!

Needless to say, I will be parking the car till I get a chance to fix it. I'm guessing this is why Im stuck boosting only 18 psi.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

does your methanol kit have a fail safe? Thats probly what was kickin in to save your car. good job on the find
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:30 PM

Yeah, it does. Through both the kit sensors, and a nozzle pressure sensor. It's "pretty" safe. Though no matter how ou look at it, something could always could go wrong. As was an example today.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting your find. It is a good thing to keep aware of for those of us running meth. Which kit are you running?