Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Mitsubishi, your Evo X might be the best car in the world...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi, your Evo X might be the best car in the world...

...but your dealers sure aren't interested in selling them!

A little context.

I work in the seattle area, my commute looks like it's going to double in the next few months. So I'm looking for a new daily driver, and the prospect of a sporty car with an automatic which possibly doesn't suck is attractive.

So I've been checking out what's currently available on the market. Preferably something 4 door, ~300hp, and awd.

Without any problems, I test drove a bunch of different cars. All the dealers just threw me the keys and told me to be back before closing. No hassles at all.

Since I test drove an STI, I thought I'd give the Evo a chance.

Alas, your dealers will have none of it.

Strike one:
First dealer, 2 Evo X MR on the lot, both with ~5700 miles on them. Both rainspotted and dusty -- I think I can guess why.

I was informed by this dealer that:
  • the Evo X MR was "twin turbo"
  • the GPS is voice activated
  • paint chips are covered by warranty
  • the Evo X wasn't designed to rev past 4000rpm, and doing so will damage the engine. this made me very confident of how they would likely handle warranty service.
I was assured that neither MR on the lot had ever been driven past 3000rpm.

They then started trying to pitch me into buying a ralliart, claiming it was just as fast as the evo...

They wouldn't back down on their 4000rpm limit (how many miles does an Evo X take to break in??), so I got the hell out of there.

Strike two:
Dealer with Evo X MR on the lot.

Battery wasn't just dead, it was dead dead. As in won't hold a charge. Couldn't even demo the radio. Apparently they were waiting for a replacement battery 'back east' which would take a couple weeks...

Strike three:
Ok, first warning sign was probably the MR in the far corner of the lot with balloons tied to it.

Second warning sign was dead battery. Uh oh.

Salesguy was as green as they come, and a total burnout. Imagine a cross between Butthead and Ted Logan. Christ on a cracker he was annoying.

Test drive? Sure, we can do that. First we'll need a credit application though.

F that!

They finally conceded to a 'drive around the block'. Ugh, whatever.

Then after my 3 minute 'test drive' they tried to pitch me a 2010 Black MR that would arrive in september.

Sorry, what exactly makes you think i'm going to buy a car based on a 3 minute test drive that never exceeded 20mph?

I tried to give the Evo X a fair chance, I really did. But your dealers aren't interested.

It looks like my next car will probably be the STI, and it's not because the Evo X was a bad car (I never got to find out one way or another).

It's because your dealers suck.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi sucks....

Did you happen to try Korum mitsu in puyallup? I was just there last week with my buddy and the MR is going for 35k. The sale guy was really cool and knew quite a bit, and they handed the keys right over.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:13 AM

korum was the one with the burnout and the credit application requirement.

the salesguy didn't know **** about the evo.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

how many sales people truthfully know everything there is to know about every single car they have on the lot...

I agree that you should not buy a car based on a 3 minute test drive, so my advise to to find a dealer that knows you are serious... understand that the car you are test driving isnt a civic..and there are tons of schmoe's out there that just wnt to go for a test drive...

when im just looking for a car... i let them know, if im really interested i also let them know...i dont get why people try to play all these games with a dealer, knowing it probably wont get you anywhere.

find a dealer thats willing to let the car sell itself.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bani
korum was the one with the burnout and the credit application requirement.

the salesguy didn't know **** about the evo.
Wow, we went in at about 730pm and the salesmen was very cool. And just tossed the keys over...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
find a dealer thats willing to let the car sell itself.
already tried. there arent any.

i dont know what kind of training mitsu gives salespeople but apparently the evo is the untouchable princess of cars, more precious than a bugatti veyron.

sure its not a civic but it's not a $400,000 lamborghini either. dealers should stop treating it as such.

Last edited by bani; Aug 10, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by importjake00
Wow, we went in at about 730pm and the salesmen was very cool. And just tossed the keys over...
730pm? partway through looking at the car the salesguy says "oh wow look at the time, 7pm. we're closed" and turns the car off.

i advised him that their website says theyre open till 8pm, he just shrugged and said the website must be wrong.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bani
730pm? partway through looking at the car the salesguy says "oh wow look at the time, 7pm. we're closed" and turns the car off.

i advised him that their website says theyre open till 8pm, he just shrugged and said the website must be wrong.
What a dbag! This definitely was not the same salesman
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Fail.

I should open my own Mitsubishi Dealership and set it the way I want to!

No wonder all the Mitsu Dealerships around here are dieing off! WTF....
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I had twin turbo,that's for the MR's only.That's a good salesman who knows what he's talking about.lol
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

It's not just Mitsu.

I was looking at a Trailblazer SS at a Chevy dealership in Everett. It's been sitting in the same spot for about 6 months. 7, now, since I had looked at it on the weekend of July 4th.

It had 5000 miles on it because the bank that approved the loan for the first buyer...disproved, or something, and they had to take the car back.

They wanted to sell it as a new car (40k MSRP) because "they are not willing to take a loss on it" and claimed, due to the *exotic* nature of the vehicle, that they were not allowing test drives.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

hands down every single car dealership i have ever visited, i already knew more about the vehicles i was looking at then the salesperson
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

And people wonder why the economy is going out of whack?

Fail Dealerships.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:29 PM

The dealer down here won't let you drive it till you have pretty much bought it. Think that is pretty common because whoever drives them is not just puttin' around. They are in it. So if I go to buy my new 40K MR and it has 500 miles on it. I'm thinkin' them is pretty hard miles and few were driven under 5K rpm is my guess.

The one good comment I heard the sales guy say down here is that he has never had someone change their mind once they bought an Evo because they didn't like the way it drove...was definitely true for me. How can you honestly take it back the next day and say, "Yea, I really don't want this car. It didn't handle very well and was pretty gutless." It's pretty safe at that point the car is going to do what you think it should and will out perform probably any other daily driver that is a certainty.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

If you're lookin for a automatic then the only thing you'll find with ~300hp and awd for a fair price would be the X, I don't think the STi even comes with that option, but I could be wrong. If you're not getting any dates with a X then I'd definitely give the IX a chance before going with the STi.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi, your Evo X might be the best car in the world...