Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover - A Review of English Racing

A Review of English Racing Automotive Services - Camas, Washington

Without a proper understanding of what type of person I am, you may or may not understand my point of views. Henceforth, I'll give you a little information about myself.

I'm a 25 year old US Army Sergeant, and I'm a stickler for detail and quality of work. I tend to be pessimistic about things, unless proven otherwise. I was always the one who would work harder, and not smarter. So that would give you an idea of why I choose English Racing, that was approximately 350 miles away (Three hour drive) instead of choosing someplace closer.

I chose them mainly because they had the lowest cost clutch replacement, they worked mostly on Evos, 2Gs, etc etc and had a reputation on EvolutionM.net. The reputation part was the one I was worried about most. Although I did find someone closer and the price difference on the clutch install was only $50 dollars off, that shop worked on all sort of cars, so regardless to say, I didn't choose them.

Given English Racing's street credibility and awesome reports from other members on EvolutionM.net, I was compelled to give them a call about my clutch problem. I had a slipping clutch and it needed to be replaced ASAP. I sent a message via the English Racing Website and PM via EvolutionM.net through a member from ER about my clutch problem. As the week drew along I still hadn't have any response from them, so I called and e-mailed once again. They were a little hard to get a hold of, but it was understandable due to schedules and races they were competing in.

I set up an appointment for September 4th @ 0900. And that was that.

I left the house at 0430 and got to Camas, Washington around 0835, and I must say it was a very unpleasant drive..... especially in the Evo with no cruise control and buckets seats that will chew your bum out.

When I got to the address which was given to me, I thought I was in the wrong place, simply due to the fact it was in a rural area, where there were lots of farms and more "moo moos" and horses than people. (At least thats what I saw.)

However, what did catch my attention was a run down yellow building with Evos, 2Gs and some Hondas in the front lot. There was not even a big sign or anything that said anything about "English Racing". The only thing that gave me the acknowledgement that this really was English Racing, was the "Proposed Land Use" sign that was stuck in the ground next to the chain link fence entrance that said: "English Automotive".

Being who I am (read top), the first thing that came to my mind was:

"You have got to be ****ting me."

I was a little bit in shock actually, I'm not going to lie to you. I have no reason to.

I then parked the car in the front parking lot between a jeep and a black Integra. I really didn't know where the front entrance was, so I just went to the garage door and poked my head in.

I was greeted by Billy (I think) and told him I turning in the Evo for a clutch replacement. I held my prejudices about the place and wanted to see what how this would turn out. I'm pretty sure other members on EvoM wouldn't just say something good about this shop..... unless it was actually good.

I was told that the clutch replacement would take approximately six hours, I had planned on being here the whole day, so I didn't really mind. Although I would have to warn the people that would choose ER and stay there while thier vehicle is being worked on, to bring some sort of entertainment, like a Game Boy or something. This is because you'll get bored after reading all the DSport magazines in the waiting area. There is a gas station right next door, so you can get gas and munchies if you so desire. So its not all too bad.

The waiting area is pretty small. You have one desk. And a computer. In a 10x10 cell..... err, room. For some odd reason I felt a little bit claustrophobic. But thats alright, because I hadn't really come to enjoy the view or to lollygag with the computer they so kindly provided to me to use. I was here to get the clutch replaced and that is exactly what they did.

Towards the end of the clutch install (which was supposed to take six hours, mind you) that they completed in approximately 3 hours and 12 minutes....... (Ok, I had a stopwatch on my Blackberry, so sue me) I got to talking with the people that were working on my Evo. They were very knowledgeable, courteous and professional. I also did manage to meet Lucas, who is the only person who I've met and still remember his name. He seems like a pretty cool guy, he was heading to the Dyno Shop with a bunch of laptops he was carrying. Maybe I'll come back for a tune someday.

Summary:
I was impressed by the level of service I received and the turnaround time that I got for the Evo. Surely, granted its not the most charismatic of all places compared to the other shops I've been to, but so far, its the most professional and knowledgeable place in my opinion. They knew what they were doing and they did it fast.

One thing that I remember vividly, is that one moment my car was in shambles. Car parts, bolts, clamps all over the place, and one hour later, she's all put back together and running like a champ.

Verdict:

Service: A+

Reason:
Professional, Knowledgeable and Courteous staff. Service done in a very expedient manner, all secondary fluids and services rendered for clutch completed.

Pricing: A

Reason:
I received the lowest quote and the fastest turnaround time from English Racing compared to the other five shops I've contacted. I paid approximately $735 for all services rendered, plus tax included. Compared to some other shops that start at $750 with no tax included, no fluids, no flywheel resurface, etc etc. I'm not sure about their other services. However, this grade applies to clutch replacement services only.

Reason:
Although English Racing is in Camas, Washington which is far as hell away from me, the quality of the services rendered and the turnaround time of the job negates all that.

Overall Grade: A

Good Job English Racing. You have my business in the future for any of my major Evo needs. To all others, I highly suggest English Racing for your needs. Its not the prettiest of places, but they'll fix you up in a jiffy and with the lowest cost to boot.

Last edited by AznEvoIX; Sep 5, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good review - glad they took care of you and you car is back in one piece!!! Awesome you can schedule a clutch install, drive the car down there and get it done the same day!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

My Evo is running like a champ right now. I dont have any qualms with it at the moment. Only time will tell. The new clutch is gripping like a **** however, its like I'm trying to learn how to drive manual all over again.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
My Evo is running like a champ right now. I dont have any qualms with it at the moment. Only time will tell. The new clutch is gripping like a **** however, its like I'm trying to learn how to drive manual all over again.
At the start of your first message i was replaying my trip down there and had same thoughts going through my mind But YES by far best place to take the evo and local shops get pissed when i tell them id rather take a 3 1/2 hr drive to Lucas and the crew. Then they go on about oh they have this guy..... i stop them there and say NOPE! they are the S***.
So another +1 to take a LONG *** lonely drive to the middle of nowhere and up a big hill.

p.s. Lucas you should paint something BIG on building haha
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03 Evo V///
p.s. Lucas you should paint something BIG on building haha
Seriously..... because I thought I was lost, and was about to throw my GPS out of the window and run over it at 5 MPH with my slipping clutch in the Evo. LOL.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
I also did manage to meet Lucas, who is the only person who I've met and still remember his name. He seems like a pretty cool guy, he was heading to the Dyno Shop with a bunch of laptops he was carrying. Maybe I'll come back for a tune someday.
If he was heading out about 9 AM, he was on his way to tune my car.

It was my first experience with ER and Lucas, and my thoughts are they are fantastic. I never got suspicious about anything, which i usually get when I'm getting any auto work done. Lucas answered all my retarded newbie questions. Good experience for me too, in summary.

Glad you got your car fixed. Maybe I'll get to see it next time there's a cruise/meet.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys.

The Dyno is kinda like my front Complete opposite of our shop in looks.

We should be starting construction on the shop in Camas early next year. Has taken me 4 years and almost 100k to be allowed to do Automotive car work out there .

We are adding on 30ft to the west 5 feet to the north, Paving the whole place with landscaping. So it should give a 200% better impression for the 1st time customers.

I am sure you were either talking to TJ or Jake on the Billing. TJ is dark haired and kinda built like me and Jake a little thicker and red hair
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

LOL The dyno being the front With all the plasma TVs and what not I can totally see it.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Its more fun being low key and belting out top of the line cars and work. I am glad that we were able to get you taken care of so fast. I think Jake reset his clutch time record for one person...gonna have to give him a raise.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I want pictures of your Dyno Facility. =)
Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

nice review john.

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

i really like ER to work on my clutch install but my problem is getting to them. we'll see what happens!

how is your new clutch? did you pass the break in period yet?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are some pics from our last dyno day.

Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucas English
Here are some pics from our last dyno day.

Zoom of this shot? Particularly the female object in front of the 1st closed door (from the left)? Didn't realise you guys had groupies now j/k
Old Sep 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

yea wth is she wearing
Old Sep 6, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Great shop indeed!