Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Another MS3 --> Evo convert!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by importjake00
I highly doubt they will help you out. When you buy a used car, you buy it "as is".

But, most people get a wheel upgrade sooner or later anyway (I think the stock BBS's are over rated). As for the head lights, you can bake them open and paint the housing flat black. It will look sick, even better than IX head lights. So the only hit you really took IMHO is the seats. But some BRIDE seats will change that

Don't sweat it now... you got a badass car. All the things we mentioned are "looks" and we all know the evo is for everything but looks
Agreed with Jake that the dealer likely won't help you out. Unfortunately these issues were on you to see before purchasing. It really sucks because regardless of opinions on what's what, the fact of the matter is they screwed you out of money, whether or not they realized it. You might as well not sweat it because there is likely little to nothing that you can do. If there is any sort of "7 day satisfaction" clause, etc., I suggest jumping on it immediately!

As for your ms3, I see a mod list that includes a lot of show parts and some go. What was the power it made and more importantly, did you run it at a track and do you have times? I don't have much understanding on the potential of the ms3 but I always heard it had a relatively low ceiling and I am curious. I do know that it is a great ride for the money.

Welcome to the crew!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

mazda zoom zoom zoom lol
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

^I can't argue that point.

*edit - mostly cause I'm not sure of the point! lol

Last edited by yahu; Sep 9, 2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

*whispers* zoom zoom

The guy that was going to come up, with the slogan for mazda called in sick.

Last edited by xXEvilMRxX; Sep 9, 2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't run it at the track, and my statement of it having more power to the wheels than a stock Evo does at the crank is total bench racing I base that off of many other people having similar mods, and actually dyno'ing the car (similar mods dyno 280-310whp). Also driving both, as I own both now. But for mods, there are only really 2 things left to be done to it, and thats exhaust mani, and a bigger turbo.

As a second comparison, just tonight I race my friends stage 2 '07 WRX, and the Evo barely pulls, while my MS3 kills him.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think you need a driver upgrade.... imo

But really.... on the track... the evo will smoke a wrx and a ms3
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a couple mods on your IX and watch that Mazda go zoom zoom behind you. A local black MS3 with a supposed 300whp looked about as fast as a honda when I played with him...then we went around some corners and he no longer was even in my rear view
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
No thanks
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
It had a clean carfax :-/ Any idea if I have any chance with the dealer if I try to get comp'ed for the exchanged parts? Wont kill me if I can't, but it could be worth a try.
They are a good dealership for sure, so it's worth calling them up, being polite and explaining the situation.

Call them and tell them you didn't notice that the parts weren't correct for the model you thought you were purchasing.

Also, your car should also have a transferable warranty from Mitsubishi as well, so keep that in mind.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think that warranty has anything to do with anything.

You're probably stuck with those parts. Sucks, just those seats are about $1100 for front and back. Then the wheels are about another $800. Might be able to sell those seats for $400 if you really want evo ix seats.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your ix with exhaust mbc tune will make more power than ur ms3 right now. how do you feel about zoom zoom now? haha welcome to community
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scumrat
thats funny you think your evo is slow in comparison. I DESTROYED my friends ms3 with my stock 9 and his ms3 was heavily modded. Way more then yours had. I think its in your head. Now you can never own a fwd car again without feeling ripped off.lol anyone notice his evo 8 seats are black??
Um, yeah, people have been dying their 8 seats since the 8 released... And yep, FWD feels like a total rip-off in everything I've driven, including the MS3.

Originally Posted by sliqdaddy91
your ix with exhaust mbc tune will make more power than ur ms3 right now. how do you feel about zoom zoom now? haha welcome to community
True that, I made 276 whp on a Mustang Dyno with catless tbe, drop-in filter, mbc, and tune... And that was a long time ago... With tuning now and ECU controlled boost I bet it would've been more like 290.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

LOL wow lots of h8 toward the MS3 here.... Why do you think I got the Evo in the first place? The MS3 is a fast car for what it is. Faster than a stock Evo, STOCK. I know a couple bolt ons and a tune make the Evo faster, and I'm getting that stuff done ASAP. It was just an observation

And yeah, I'm calling the dealer today, see whats up. Again, thanks for the welcome, and I'll be trying to make the first non-weekday meet/dyno day that I can!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fcapistran
what shift do you guys work at Boeing? Have you seen a Silver Evo IX driving around out there with CF front lip with CF front bumper ducts and 18'' black wheels?
I work first shift and have only ever seen a GG IX MR occasionally in the north lots (Everett). I saw a RR in the parking garage of 40-88 once. Other than that I have been the only EVO at Boeing (Everett) that I have seen.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

With all due respect to Andrew AND you guys.... The MS3 is a great car for its class.

Taking cost into consideration its the fastest <$25K car out there (not auto-x fast, but road course fast).

The Evo's MSRP is well (peter)north of $30K and it shows. Its potential is MUCH higher than the MS3. Where the direct injection, ~260 FWD hp makes for a screaming fast FWD, it cant and doesnt compare to the Evo and to be honest its a platform that doesnt have much room for improvement due to the DISI injection, low production numbers (5,000 per year) and absolutely terrible ECU.

First hand experience:
Joey and I partook in a highly illegal Mt. St Hellens sprint. From Castle Rock to Johnson Ridge Observatory where we were flat out on the way up with a "pace" of 100mph (which was observed for all of 2 miles)

Joey: Evo VIII: cams, intake, WORKS TBE, upgraded FMIC/piping, Wideband YUGO, Ohlins coilovers, OEM MR rims with tires (note: he was waiting for English to re-tune after the cams and was running rich)

Me: Mazdaspeed3: Intake, Downpipe, detailed (aerodynamic baby!), RPF-01, Falken 615 in 235/40/17, stock suspension (note: suffering from boost cut at 5K RPM in 4th, 5th, 6th resulting in short shifting the entire time. Again, the MS3 ecu strikes (my sack) again!)

Joey admitted that we were pretty equal on the straights with the MS3 having better low end torque until 4th gear when he could catch up. In the corners he was unable to keep up. Admittadly I had more serious running stock than he, however the AWD drivetrain should have made up for that over a 30 mile sprint as the FWD should have heatsoaked the front tires.

In our conversation after the drive he was shocked that i was able to stay in front and ended up nearly 30 seconds ahead at the summit. I was shocked that he didnt/couldnt beat me soundly.

Quick Reply: Another MS3 --> Evo convert!