Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Share your experiences: Aftermarket suspension setups, on WA roads/tracks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
This thread delivers.

Would love to see someone from AMR chime in with how their product compares to other top tier coilovers. We need some real data at this point.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyDSM
Peronally --
SCCA SP NORPAC DIV Champion on AMR
Leading the ORG SCCA RX Championship in PA this year on AMR (won every race so far)
SCCA CA RX National Challenge winner 2010, finished 2nd in the National Championship (blew an IC hose) on AMR

There are several Solo and Road Race guys winning on AMR as well.

Never drink the cool-aid. Nobody should. But don't be a jerk either. Just because YOU don't know, doesn't make it so. Like many newer setups on the market, many of us don't tout our findings until we have 1000s of miles under them.

That being said.... There are plenty of guys winning races on other suspension too. DMS is a great setup if you are cool spending over $5000 and the Ohlins rock as well, again, if you are into the $7500 suspension packages.

But read closer, FOR THE MONEY, there isn't a better deal, I think, than the AMR. And by that I mean from the $1500 - $4000 price range.

Scott
Yes, I should have rephrased my sentence...it came across badly it was more the point of the matter. You can easily find MANY devision winners...and atleast 80% of the time they are running on 1 of aforementioned brands above. Trends are there and obviously you can win without having expensive items. Parts don't win races...the driver does.

That is not to say they AMR aren't capable of winning. You know as well as I do devision, class, location, and driver plays more of a role than the brand you are running. I am stating with everything constant they will not match up to the superior higher priced offerings. That was my point of the disagreement.

This is where I see the differences. They do not stack up against $4000 price range coilovers. You have DFV's for $3k, Flags for under $4k, and Moton's for not much more than that. You have custom Robispec Clubsports for $3k as well. Even under $3k you have the AST offerings which are quickly proving themselves across many platforms. In the $3-4k range their is stiff competition and I am sure you have seen first hand how they perform. I would say they compete with the $1500-2500 range, that is just my opinion though. I am not sponsored by anybody though either so I don't make it a point to tout what I have or don't have as well.

I personally tried to purchase AMR's but after some of the comments made it turned me away. Along with lead time and many claims that were never backed up. I was offered an attractive price but in the end I still have never had the question answered if he does in house custom valving or just puts whatever springrates on a customer asks for. Again if he does his own valving it would not be hard to post up a shock dyno...to see if they actually perform theoretically the way they claim to be. It seems as if the Evo crowd has faired much much better compared to other platforms. There are other people who have not had such good luck. I assume having ER sell them as well helps tremendously with their support.

I will leave the bickering at that and not derail the thread any further. Obviously like stated above concrete data will tell the tales and people can then decide for themselves. Cheers.

Last edited by dbsears; Jul 22, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on H&R springs with stock shocks. its kinda low with the APR front diffuser. its a little stiff. handling is good but not great. i dont track or race my car. its a good daily drive. i would like to get some coils but its to expensive.