Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Share your experiences: Aftermarket suspension setups, on WA roads/tracks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Share your experiences: Aftermarket suspension setups, on WA roads/tracks

Just as the title says, what are your experiences and opinions of aftermarket suspension setups on the roads of WA.

When it comes time for coils, I'm thinking of going with KW, or Robispec's version of them, due to their reputation as a good product, but I'm open for other ideas too! So let's hear it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

My suspension is so uber, that its stock. Yeah.

=P

I wish I had aftermarket suspension.... =X *sigh*
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I have been thinking of going springs (like swift spec R's) as I don't really want to spend the big money now, especially since I won't really utilize coils for what they are meant for. I was also thinking maybe re-valving the stock Bilsteins.

I've heard of some people converting their struts/shocks to coilovers via a place like this but I'm sure it wouldn't compare to a nice set of Robi's, Ohlins, etc.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

I just have springs, its not uber low but nice and stiff. Its nice cause im using spacers to poke out the mr bbs wheels flush with the fenders but not rub. I personally do not track my car so I would not use the expensive coils... There is crazy construction by my house, and I take a 15 minute detour to work just to avoid the beat up roads Also, Ive scraped my front lip a couple times on basic hills, so lowering my car anymore means scraping exhaust or ripping off the lip :/
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I just put on KWv3 Robispec Clubsports, 8k/9k rates. So far, I find them great on the street, but I haven't driven on any rough roads yet. However, I would not spend the $$$ on a car that is purely street driven.

Last edited by aeroweenie; Sep 14, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Got any pic's of the stance? Also, have you or do you track your car at all? I assume yes as you mentioned not wasting money on something like that if its only street driven lol, never know though.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Got any pic's of the stance? Also, have you or do you track your car at all? I assume yes as you mentioned not wasting money on something like that if its only street driven lol, never know though.
No pix yet. Its only lowered an inch in the front, 1/2" in the rear. I track it about once a month during the season, maybe 6 times a year.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
I just have springs, its not uber low but nice and stiff...
Which springs are you running?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
To the OP...whats the goal with the suspension upgrade? Without that knowledge, you won't get proper answers.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
To the OP...whats the goal with the suspension upgrade? Without that knowledge, you won't get proper answers.
Me personally, some track mostly DD with the occasional trip down some windy traffic free roads.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:12 AM

I have the WORKS springs, and am happy with them. Same as aero: DD + 5-6 track days per year. I've been considering stepping up to KWV3, but I'm going to speak to him first and see how much they shave off his lap times : )
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have CBRD spec Ohlins DFV's with 11kF/12kR. Before had MR bilsteins and Swifts. Over normal roads it rides almost the same and only stiffer on big bumps. Handling is in a whole other league though. I don't think it rides bad at all, downtown Seattle can be a tad rough but any evo is. Obviously they aren't cheap but they work well. With with them adjusted full soft they have almost no body roll or weight transition on the street. Turn in now is so razor sharp you almost have to be careful changing lanes on I5.

If you go KW's go with Robispec Streets or Clubsports. Stock KW springrates are not very good and their valving is on the soft side.

I would reccomend Bilsteins + Swifts at first. I tracked it for over a year with that and it works well and is safe. When you start getting in upper end coilovers you start having to pay ALOT more attention to abrubt driving changes. I would track the car atleast a few times before getting coils. My car rotates MUCH easier and can suprise you now if not paying attention.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Good info, Derek. You sold your swifts, right?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep they sold with the quickness
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
Me personally, some track mostly DD with the occasional trip down some windy traffic free roads.
Fair enough.

Originally Posted by dbsears
I have CBRD spec Ohlins DFV's with 11kF/12kR. Before had MR bilsteins and Swifts. Over normal roads it rides almost the same and only stiffer on big bumps. Handling is in a whole other league though. I don't think it rides bad at all, downtown Seattle can be a tad rough but any evo is. Obviously they aren't cheap but they work well. With with them adjusted full soft they have almost no body roll or weight transition on the street. Turn in now is so razor sharp you almost have to be careful changing lanes on I5.

If you go KW's go with Robispec Streets or Clubsports. Stock KW springrates are not very good and their valving is on the soft side.

I would reccomend Bilsteins + Swifts at first. I tracked it for over a year with that and it works well and is safe. When you start getting in upper end coilovers you start having to pay ALOT more attention to abrubt driving changes. I would track the car atleast a few times before getting coils. My car rotates MUCH easier and can suprise you now if not paying attention.
What he said. I would also add that if you do get something, ensure its adjustable so you can dial it down. Keep in mind that when reading reviews here what is noted as "not noticeable from stock" really means "I either didn't drive it hard enough/don't know enough about how my car handles to tell the difference between stock and this."

If you are in downtown Seattle a lot you'll definitely have to be very careful.

Quick Reply: Share your experiences: Aftermarket suspension setups, on WA roads/tracks