Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Wild West Rally 2009

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild West Rally 2009

Wild West Rally in beautiful Pomeroy, WA Sept. 26th - 27th.
Get close to the gravel-flying action, talk to drivers and codrivers, and experience the roar of a rally car! Come and see your car's rally heritage.
Also featuring RallyMoto!!!

http://www.wildwestrally.org/index.html

If you want to have some fun come out, enjoy, ask questions!

If you are looking to become involved in rally or just want to be closer to the action Volunteering is a great way to do so. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...omeroy-wa.html

This will also be my first stage rally as a co-driver! I will be co-driving for Cody Crane in his Honda CRX. Cody is one of the fastest 2wd drivers out there, i am in for one hell of a ride.

I hope to see some of you out there! Come say hi, we will be right next to Carl Jardevall and his Evo.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

If I have money left over from driving to montana this weekend, I will for sure try to make it... I need to come root You, Jason, and Carl on!!! Jason is co-driving for Carl right??
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

correct, and Gary will be crewing for both cars
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Here is a preview of the first stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlr-ShJTmWo
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like a blast. If I was not going to Battle of the Imports at Woodburn I'd check this event out...
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:47 PM

I have pics of Billy turning his new white suit brown. Ok, well that didn't really happen, but the sideways action of that CRX is nuts. They'll be up soon.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A video of WW 09.

Very last car is Cody and Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vGq7GmsEpg

Scott
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Here is a recap of my weekend: A few weeks ago I woke up to a text message from the one and only Jason Grahn, telling me that Cody Crane needed a co-driver for Wild West. I gave Cody a call later that day to try and set something up. Unfortunately between Cody and I we could not come up with the money needed to race. The next day I received another text from Jason telling me that he found Cody and I the extra money we needed to make this happen.

From this point on it was a mad scramble to get everything I needed ready. Gary, Lucy, and myself ran up to speedware so I could buy a helmet. I sent away for my NASA license. I ordered the intercom for my helmet. I ran down to Oregon and picked up head and neck restraints that were loaned to us for the weekend by Scott Kovailk. Then I bought a metric ton of school supplies. Jason let me borrow one of his co-drivers bags. And with all that packed I was ready for Wild West.

Friday morning Me and my friend Mike pack the g35 and took off for Issaquah. We put everything from the G in to Jason’s Civic. When he walked from his work to his car we had it loaded and running. A quick splash of gas, air, and water and we were off for Pomeroy Washington. In an effort to find out if I would get sick in the rally car Jason turned the heat in the car full blast and used a section of twistys as his own personal race track, while I read him 10 pages of the Rally America rule book. Still felt great!

Once we arrived in Pomeroy Carl and Gary showed up fallowed my Cody and his family. Now that the car had arrived that fun was about to start. We got the car teched and registered, then it was time to work on the route book. A few hours later we all hit it the sack. My nerves kept me up for quite a while.

At 8:45 the next morning we took off for Parc Expose, had the drivers meeting and then walked back to the car to find a huge pile of toilet paper on my seat… just in case I **** my self. Cody and I were 4th on the road, in front of quite a few open class cars. The first stage I spent trying to get my timing right, Cody was a lot faster then I had expected. The first stage we still managed to beat a 1g gsx uphill. It was not a bad start to the day at all. After that we had a service then it was back to run the first stage once again. That stage went buy with out a hitch. We ended up bettering are time by 11 seconds. The next stage we were moving pretty fast. We were 3 ½ miles into the stage with Cody throwing the car sideways at every corner. We hit a ¼ mile straight that we carried a bunch of speed into by the end of the straight we were going around 80-90 miles per hour in to a double caution crest drops left 3 ( a 90 degree left) with a huge exposure of the outside of the corner. Cody though he had a little more room to work with then we did. The rear tires were right at the end of the cliff. Unfortunately the dirt at the end of the road was super soft and sucked the car down the cliff. We were hit by a wall of dirt and could not see anything. As soon as we came to a stop I asked Cody if he was ok. His only response was to put it in first and hit the gas, then respond “Sorry were stuck”. We both got out of the car with the triangle and the ok sign and ran up the straight to warn other cars that we went off. Watching all the cars go buy we watched a rally moto bike almost fly into the car. He came very close to laying out right where we went off. When sweep came through we walked back down to the car. This was the first time I had really seem where we went off. The car was being held up by a barbed wire fence that was keeping it from going down the rest of the 500 ft exposure. Once sweep got up back up we changed a time and charged down the rest of the stage.

On the next stage we made it ahead of a few cars due to a delay because of Paul Eklund’s roll when the car was impaled by a fence post. That stage was 9.93 miles and we caught the car in front off us in 3.6 miles and just had to hang back. After that it back back to service. At this point I really was not doing a good job. I had lost confidence. John Lane pulled me aside made me take my shirt off, sit in his chair, and drink a water. After John helped me calm down Cody and I went out and ran the 3 stage loop we just ran again. Our stage times kept getting better and better. We were really starting to click as a team. We ended up passing 10 cars in time controls during these 3 stages, so we could finally drive with out catching up to peoples dust clouds.

The last two stages of the day were two runnings of the Malone Hill. The fast time through there was a huge uphill straight with 2 big crests fallowed by a long straight into a left to right chicane. Cody was not a big fan of the placement of one of the cones so we hit it head of at about 50 mph. This stage also had a speed trap set up right by the spectator corner. Jason and Carl hit the speed trap at 110, the ACDC car hit it at 108, another open class car went 102, and Cody and I hit at 100 flat. Right after the speed trap was a very tight bridge into an acute right hander, where according to the spectators Cody was 100% sidways through the entire length of the bridge. .

The second running of the stage was a lot of fun. We decided to not take out any cones that the chicane and gave the workers there a few were sorry honks. It was getting pretty dark during this stage and Codys lights are pretty much fail. But we still managed to catch the 2.5rs of Tabor and Hansen at the flying finish.

With day one in the books Cody and I were ready for day to and looking forward to keeping the car on the road.

The first 2 stages were a lot of fun, were taking 10-15 seconds out of the 2 wrx’s that were in front of us. The third stage however was super rough. We ended up putting down a good time and getting quite a bit of air, but were lucky we did not damage anything.

After another service we headed out to run the same 3 stages again. The first stage we beat out pervious time by 13 seconds. The second stage of the loop was really the drive of the weekend for us. We beat our time by 16 seconds and we beat Mark Mager’s STI by 15 seconds. The last stage we took a bit slower because we just wanted to make sure we finished. We still were moving at a good clip, we only went around 4 seconds slower this time through. We did not achieve out goal of not breaking though. We got a flat with about 4/10’s of a mile to go. We drove it out and changed our tire out side of the control.

We ended up finishing Sunday 5th over all beating quite a few open class cars. Cody and I could not of been happier with how Sunday turned out. This really has the most fun I have ever had.

And just to end the weekend on a high note we were able to moon the demon rally team twice on out way home.

I really appreciate everyone who helped me this weekend happen for me. Jason, Carl, Gary, Cody, John Lane and Mike were great to have around me all weekend. I was also really glad to have my friend out there watching and cheering for us.

Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Just found this picture of Cody and myself

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimculp...7622345784995/
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the Addiction, Buddy

Scott
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RallyDSM
Welcome to the Addiction, Buddy

Scott

I might end up with a ride for Mt. Hood as well, but we will see
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like it was a blast! So in the video that Scott posted, did that roadsign survive both days? lol
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

I didn't hear of any signs that were taken out, but Cody and I took out a fence and a cone and one of the Subaru's took out another fence.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:28 PM

Who is pro rally pix? Aaron?

These are the shots I got

I'm sure I have more good ones I can upload, but for now, thats it.

Quick Reply: Wild West Rally 2009