Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Moving to Seattle area, how's traffic?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autoxer_minh when exactly are you moving to seattle?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by divine_evo
autoxer_minh when exactly are you moving to seattle?
Sometime in the next 3 months. I still have some loose ends I need to tie up here before I can hit the road. Why do you ask "exactly"?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truth of the matter is, we all hate this place. Don't underestimate the rain. Last year we hit 110 days straight of no blue skies. Moisture is a constant, and be prepared to treat ANY holes you make in your car. There's salt moisture in the air from the ocean nearby. We're coming up on the 4th year in a row we've been voted worst traffic in America.

However, We have some of the best driving roads in the world all over the place. (The drive between Port Angeles and Port Townsend was rated by Porsche as #5, but it's really only fun from 101 to P.T.) The summers here are abosolutely perfect. If you're into outdoor stuff, the Cascade mountian range divides the state in half with some of the best hiking/biking/climbing/fishing (and driving) routes there are. If you're a snow fan, there's at least 3 ski hills in the area I can think of. There's seafood for days, and a coffee stand on every corner, sometimes 2 lol.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by autoxer_minh
Sometime in the next 3 months. I still have some loose ends I need to tie up here before I can hit the road. Why do you ask "exactly"?
Just curious.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GTisRule
Truth of the matter is, we all hate this place. Don't underestimate the rain. Last year we hit 110 days straight of no blue skies. Moisture is a constant, and be prepared to treat ANY holes you make in your car. There's salt moisture in the air from the ocean nearby. We're coming up on the 4th year in a row we've been voted worst traffic in America.
Not sure what your basis is, but the salt factor is much worse in the midwest and northeast. Most cars here are basically rust free. Look at the underside of a 2 year old car from Minnesota or New York some time.

Bare metal is going to rust regardless of where you live (maybe not in the desert).

Who did the voting and have they ever driven anywhere outside of Seattle? LA, Chicago, Houston, NYC, DC, Atlanta... all have much worse traffic than Seattle does. We're probably not even top 10. Any statistical measure shows Seattle is pretty good (in other words, sucks less than most large cities). Of course it still sucks, especially since we have no alternate routes and everything is north-south.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Not sure what your basis is, but the salt factor is much worse in the midwest and northeast. Most cars here are basically rust free. Look at the underside of a 2 year old car from Minnesota or New York some time.

Bare metal is going to rust regardless of where you live (maybe not in the desert).
Midwest and the Northeast is from salted roads. I can promise you, coming from Central Washington rust rates are well accellerated here than there.

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Who did the voting and have they ever driven anywhere outside of Seattle? LA, Chicago, Houston, NYC, DC, Atlanta... all have much worse traffic than Seattle does. We're probably not even top 10. Any statistical measure shows Seattle is pretty good (in other words, sucks less than most large cities). Of course it still sucks, especially since we have no alternate routes and everything is north-south.
Department of transportation? I'm quoting a magazine article is all. You need to look outside driving from Seattle to Lynnwood for example. Ever commute from say, Bremerton? Or from Seattle to Bellevue? I've sat on 520 (about an 8 mile drive) for 2+ hours numerous times leaving the Microsoft campus. When I lived in Port Orchard commuting to Seattle, that trip takes 3 1/2 hours on Friday, Highway 16 has NO alternative routes. (55 miles parking spot to driveway.) After 405, if there's a wreck on north or south I5, there is no alternative routes south or north. 99 for the most part ends in Fife. Go south of Tacoma to Olympia during commuter hours... I can go on and on. LA had 10! lanes of southbound travel at one point the last time I made the drive.

Last edited by GTisRule; Sep 16, 2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added distances for the out of towners
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

He wants to steal your car parts. LOL. *joke*
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
He wants to steal your car parts. LOL. *joke*
Haha, I thought I picked up a stalker vibe from his post.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I went to a dyno day during the summer, pulled up in my srt-4 expected to get a lot of nasty stares but instead everyone was pretty nice. Talked to a bunch of cool people, got to sit in some evos etc... Definately wasn't a bunch of a-holes like the guy from Chi-town is saying. I live in the far Southwest outskirts of the Seattle area, but everyone is right if you are heading toward Seattle in the morning or away from it in the evening you are screwed no matter which way you go. Definately will give your clutch leg a workout if you are using the evo for a dd.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Seattle is awesumm!!!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

I've never heard that Seattle was #1. Agreed with WSB that there are far worse than Seattle. The last I heard (earlier this year), Seattle was in the top 10 for major metropolitan areas, but it was nowhere near #1.

You do have a point for bigger commutes such as to Bremerton/Port Orchard, or somewhere more distant like Olympia, but I don't know that they take that into account as the majority of drivers are not making that commute on a regular basis.

I think people in the area are relatively nice but I can also be a type-B with people so I get along well with most.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, I thought I picked up a stalker vibe from his post.
what mods you got? I'll see which parts I like. j/k yeah that post was creppy of me. My bad.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:24 AM

I remember Seattle used to be a really friendly place. Then we all started sticking our noses in whatever electronics we can find and we become introverted. Yeah, we can partially blame that on the weather too. Haha. But.... it doesn't matter where you go, you will always find bungholios. (haha. rediscovered that word after talking to Tyler about old school B &B) Also, maybe I just don't get treated as mean by guys as guys do, certainly a possibility.

I live right next to Everett Boeing and I love the location. It's pretty much at the Everett/Lynnwood/Mukilteo border and close to the 405 & I-5 intersection so I can get everywhere easily. When I was looking for a place, I pretty much did a little map search, picked that 405/I-5 intersection (cause you'll take one or the other of those freeways everywhere) and looked at the surrounding 20 miles.

I'm an early bird & work 5am to 2 pm and commute to Kirkland. Of course at my work hours, traffic is rarely ever a problem except for on the way home on snowy days. That's why I chose to sacrifice sleeping in longer, because I save time & frustration on traffic - 5am start = 25 min. commute, 7 am start time = 45-60 min. commute. As someone already mentioned, driving towards Seattle at any time pretty much sucks, but the general is heading south to Seattle in the morning bites and heading up north in the evening bites.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:39 AM
COY

Originally Posted by yahu
I've never heard that Seattle was #1. Agreed with WSB that there are far worse than Seattle. The last I heard (earlier this year), Seattle was in the top 10 for major metropolitan areas, but it was nowhere near #1.

You do have a point for bigger commutes such as to Bremerton/Port Orchard, or somewhere more distant like Olympia, but I don't know that they take that into account as the majority of drivers are not making that commute on a regular basis.

I think people in the area are relatively nice but I can also be a type-B with people so I get along well with most.
Its not rated number one. Detroit is. No idea where that crack head got his info. Seattle area traffic can suck like any big city during rush hour. Beyond that, its not bad.

Never had a problem with rust.

Quick Reply: Moving to Seattle area, how's traffic?